“Great Intimate Theatre”

Belvoir Street Theatre
Ranked #11 of 53 Concerts & Shows in Sydney
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Tucked away in the suburban part of Surry Hills is this great theatre. I have been here a handful of times now over the last 5 years, always to the upstairs theatre. While the latest production (Oedipus Schmoedipus) was pretty poor I still think it is a great theatre. The acoustic is good and generally music over the sound system is always great. 'Not a bad seat in the house' is an overused phrase however here it happens to be true. A great theatre recommended to all - just be careful which production you attend!

Reviewed 31 December 2013

I have subscribed to the Belvoir theatre for a few years now and find their productions to be of the highest standard. The theatre has a buzz which always creates a sense of anticipation. The patrons seem to arrive early to enjoy a social gathering and maybe a glass of wine before the 'curtain rises' . I have attended as a single person and the Sunday evening 5 p.m. time slot is ideal if you are the only theatre lover in your family or a single wanting a cultured night out in a place where you do not feel out of place. The people who run the box office are always friendly and helpful. I love the Belvoir experience every time I go

1  Thank Carole W
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Not what I would call an attraction to just visit, but, something to attend. There are usually shows daily...

I first moved to Sydney in 2000, and wanting to get a little more culture than buying a tub of Yoplait, I decided on a subscription to Belvoir. 13 years later and I am still a subscriber and about to do so for 2014 as well.
While there are many other theatres in Sydney, I felt Belvoir offered something just that little bit different.
Don't get me wrong, I have been to some shocking productions, however, I have seen some absolutely sensational theatre as well: Cloud Street, The Saphires (yes, before the movie), Keating, Peter Pan and the powerful Angels in America, are just a couple that spring to mind. There have been some amazing indigenous performances and performs to have graced the stage as well.
In more recent times there has been a more regular touch of nudity. Usually quite tasteful (given the performance piece, and not necessarily gratuitous, so, it appears that this is starting to become a part of modern theatre (perhaps?).
There have been times I have had subscriptions with others and make a night of things, but, mostly I am a solo theatre goer. You are never lonely though as there is always someone close by willing to trade theatre stories.
I am pretty sure that I will be continuing my Belvoir patronage as long as I reside in Sydney.

1  Thank MisterD-01
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Belvoir are a great little team who consistently deliver excellent productions. The theatre itself has disabled access by lift etc, but it's not the easiest theatre in the world for elderly folks to negotiate. Be careful where your seats are - some of those at the back require you to clamber about a bit.

There is a bar downstairs for pre-theatre drinks etc, but the snacks on offer aren't wonderful. They have a few packets of nuts etc, and claim to have 'catering' by some outside company who really need to lift their game. There is little on offer for anyone who hasn't already had dinner / lunch before attending, and although there are lots of cafes nearby, they're all down a steep hill which may be very difficult for the elderly or disabled to negotiate. The chicken 'wrap' on offer had been frozen, then thawed out again, and was very soggy and unappetising at around $9. Don't bother - if you will be needing a snack, take your own.

1  Thank OzNana
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Belvoir Street theater production of NAgels in America part 1 played at Theater Royale (temp location while Belvoir is getting a rehab). A very powerful performance with excellent acting.

1  Thank Maria2008Usa