“Great Apartment, but not cheap” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Meriton Serviced Apartments Kent Street

Meriton Serviced Apartments Kent Street
Ranked #21 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Bristol
“Great Apartment, but not cheap”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

We stayed six nights in a 1 bedroom skyview apartment, which turned out to be on floor 48, and were delighted with our accomodation. The apartment was clean, well furnished and had everything we needed, as well as some things we didn't - like the mirror on the bedroom ceiling!
Meriton have obviously had issues in the past with wild parties - there are signs all over the place warning of immediate ejection from the building for any guests found to be having a party in their room, though we saw nothing else to suggest this might be a problem. Indeed, our floor was deathly quiet.
The apartment had a great view looking towards Darling Harbour and the Anzac Bridge (I guess if you were on the other side of the building you'd be looking at skyscrapers in the CBD) and the balcony was great, although was bizarrely locked for the first couple of nights we were there. There's a note in the guest information book that says "all balconies are locked and guests who tamper with the locks will be charged" so we initially got cross and were going to go and complain to reception ("why advertise an apartment with a balcony if you can't use it?") - before deciding it just wasn't worth the hassle. Then, on the next day, I tried the patio door again and it opened. Given that I've since seen reviews from other guests complaining about locked balconies at this property, I can't understand what was going on here!
The full kitchen was great - all the facilities we wanted; the bed was comfortable (though I really prefer not to wake up to my own reflection looking back at me from the ceiling); the bathroom was clean and new-ish and having a washer and dryer was very helpful. We parked in the property's underground car park, which was fine, if eye-wateringly expensive for my pocket. Then again, all the city centre car parks in Sydney are.
As for location, it's a block and a bit walk to Town Hall Station, and the property is surrounded by cafes and restaurants. Plus there's a Coles supermarket under World Tower just around the corner and a Woolworths opposite Town Hall station if you want to buy and cook your own food. Darling Harbour is also walking distance.
The was the most expensive accomodation we stayed in during our trip to Australia, but comparable in price to good city centre hotels in Sydney. That being the case, I'd definitely stay here or in another of the Meriton properties if I was in Sydney again, rather than paying a similar amount for a much smaller hotel room with fewer facilities.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CSBristol
MSAKentStreet, Manager at Meriton Serviced Apartments Kent Street, responded to this review, 22 January 2017
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Meriton Serviced Apartments! We are thrilled to have exceeded your expectations and that our top quality services and facilities were able to leave you with such a positive impression of our brand.

We hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,404)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights on our 2nd destination on our honeymoon, check in was smooth although a little long, the room was a studio sky view apartment which was basic but had everything you needed, we had a very nice view of darling harbour, location was spot on for us, walking distance of town hall station, so basically good central location to go anywhere, also walking distance of darling harbour where we spent 2 lovely evenings.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gazzamurphy26
MSAKentStreet, Manager at Meriton Serviced Apartments Kent Street, responded to this review, 18 January 2017
Dear valued Guest,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your choosing to stay with us at Meriton Kent Street and for sharing your feedback with us and the TripAdvisor community.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Online Reputation Team
Newcastle, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012 via mobile

This place is VERY dissapointing! A lot of apartments with few resources . I have stayed in plenty of places in Sydney over the years but this joint takes the cake. Over $500 per night for a two bedroom apartment. Worn furnishings , lounge badly stained with goodness knows what, two luggage trolleys for hundreds of rooms. To top it off a wild party in the unit directly above that finished at 5.30 am.
They had the hide to charge me $20 to supposedly separate the double bed in the kids room into two singles. One of the beds had dirty sheets( nice touch) so they obviously didn't separate it but what a sneaky charge anyway when you are already paying $ 500 + . Long waits for eelevators. This place is rubbish

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank aussiedarkhorse
Ryan I, Manager at Meriton Serviced Apartments Kent Street, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Thank you for your feedback.

Its disappointing to hear your stay at Meriton Serviced Apartments was less than satisfactory.

We would like the chance to investigate your feedback, and provide you with a response.

If you could contact me via email at tripadvisor@meriton.net.au
Whangarei, Northland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

We were treated really well, great apartment, checked in early no problem, had a great stay for 5 days, can thoroughly recommend them. close to darling harbour, paddys markets, sydney tower myers, had a ball. thanks Meriton you guys were great.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ryan I, Manager at Meriton Serviced Apartments Kent Street, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Thank you for your kind review.

We are happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

RI
Coffs Harbour, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

When we first arrived we were pleased with our room. Our one bedroom apartment was a good size and was clean and well equipped. We had followed the tips on trip advisor and requested a high floor and a room on the Darling Harbour side. We got exactly the opposite. Now I realise they can't fulfil everyone's requests but considering most people probably would not have asked or booked as early as us and considering that we were staying for 10 nights I would have thought our request may have been granted. Our view was of the street behind and the Planet Hollywood Cafe glaring sign. The balcony was not a balcony you could use at all due to it's size.
The quality of the fittings was good except for the lounge which was so uncomfortable to sit on. Hard as a rock, no arm rests and only one.
We woke the first night in the early hours because the couple in the room near ours was having a domestic. After listening to them yell for a while we contacted reception when things started being thrown. We heard security arrive and it quietened down for awhile but then we were awoken again. Again we rang reception. Same thing happened three times and neither me, my husband or our 21 month old that kept getting woken were happy. When we decided to go out early for the day so we didn't have to listen to it any longer, the couple were continuing their arguments in the hall but none of the staff seemed to care.
We only had occasion to speak to the staff a few times and every time they seemed completely exhausted and as a result were not very friendly.
The daily room service was great for the first day but after that it was terrible. The detergents were replaced once and then not again. Toilet paper was not replaced. Milk was not replaced and on some days the garbage wasn't emptied.
The hotel was definitely convenient. Train station around the corner, short walk to Darling Harbour, loads of restaurants around and ofcourse plenty of shopping. For the price it was an ok stay. If you go make sure you make your reservation on myrez.com.au as it was definitely the cheapest way to book.
A good place to stay if you just want a bed at night. Will I go again? No, I'll try to find something a bit more comfortable.

Room Tip: I used the tips from others and they got me nowhere. You'll get the room they give you.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank babaw
Kent Street M, Manager at Meriton Serviced Apartments Kent Street, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate the chance to learn what we could have done better.
Contact us at tripadisvor@meriton.net.au and we will be happy to look further into your comments.

MSA Kent Street.
Ettalong Beach, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

I have stayed here three times. It offers a very comfortable apartment style room in the central part of Sydney CBD. It is not close to the Opera House or Circular Quay, but they are easily accessible. It is very close to China Town and and Darling Harbour.
There are many dining and drinking and night spot choices all within easy walking distance.

The rooms are very well appointed with daily service. The bed is very comfortable too.

The only downside was that the check in was a bit slow and for some people the counter at check in is too high. I saw people standing on their toes to speak to the representatives of the hotel. They should make this part of the experience more user friendly as it sets the tone for your stay. I think many visitors have travelled great distances to be here so they are tired and want to get to their rooms fast.

As a plus, I have stayed in both the one bedroom apartment and the studio and both have heaps of room. It is very spacious, even in the studio.

I have been here three times and will most likely return if I have the need to.

Room Tip: If your not after a great view the lower "cheaper" rooms are just as comfortable.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Keithsutt
Thank you for your review and recommendations. Our guests can feel right at home in our beautifully designed Modern Suites. Featuring a fully equipped gourmet kitchen and luxurious furnishings in spacious lounge and dining areas.

Our friendly team look forward to providing you with our convenient and comfortable suites again in the near future!

Online Reputation Team
SYDNEY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

The room we were given initially was quite nice and as described when booking with full size fridge, balcony, walk in shower etc. However when the air conditioner leaked all over our bed, the maintenance staff said we couldn't stay and we were given keys to another room. We had already unpacked all of our stuff so I requested a trolley and was told that I couldn't have one as they were all in use. The staff member then left without offering to help move our stuff. We wasted a lot of time making 2 trips to move our stuff. When we got to the new room, it had NO balcony, was stinking hot as it's in direct sunlight with no window tinting, bar fridge, shower over bath and was a much smaller room. When I called down to complain, I was told that it was just bad luck. When I explained that I had a knee injury that would make the shower over bath hard to use, I was told they would see if there was another room and call me back to let me know either way. No one called me back. When we tried to have a friend visit us, they were refused, like we were on school camp or something. We were harrassed to check out when we were 10 minutes late but eventually granted a slight extension to check out. I would think considering all the hassle and inconvenience we had been put through that we might have been a late check out or free parking but nothing was offered. I found the staff to be very uncaring and a bit rude. I was so disappointed as we were in the city to attend a friend's birthday and had been looking forward to the weekend for so long and had specifically booked this hotel because it had a spa and pool but by the time we finished waiting for maintenance, making 2 trips to move our stuff, waiting to hear back about moving again, we didn't even get to use the facilities. I am so bitterly disappointed about the whole experience.

Customer service at this hotel really needs to be improved. I received much more friendly and helpful customer service at a hotel I stayed at in Albania last year, despite the fact that they could barely even speak English. The poor customer service I received really ruined what was supposed to be a great weekend.

Also, at one point in the night we had to wait 11 minutes for the lift to come. How ridiculous.

Room Tip: Try to avoid anything on the left side of the hotel (as you face it from the street) as in the after...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
MSA-MGT, General Manager at Meriton Serviced Apartments Kent Street, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Thanks for your review
I am sorry to read that your stay was less than perfect.
It is not the type of experience we pride ourselves on.
If you could contact me via email tripadvisor@meriton.net.au
Then we can investigate where we failed you and try to get your back for a free stay to see the real Meriton Serviced Apartments. MT