“Victorian charm and urban living, an unique experience”
Review of Brickfield Hill

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sydney
Brickfield Hill
Ranked #17 of 57 Sydney B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 May 2012

This antique town house turned B&B is lovingly taken care of by proud owners David and Ivano. Two extremely artistic and cultured men who cares for preserving the beautiful arts of the Victorian era. The place exudes charm and character. There are only 4 rooms, each with its own character and theme. I was put on the top floor, called the Green room, with a balcony.

Overall, I had a marvellous and comfortable stay as it was their quieter season. David was so helpful and obliging, answered to all my requests. It made the whole experience all the more personal and special. The location is just a 5 to 10 minutes walk to Sydney central station, and Chinatown is not too fa away either. After a night out with friends in CBD, a taxi ride back costs only AUD 10 and no more. Going to the airport by Taxi is also only about AUD30. The reasonable rate they are asking offers incredible value, consider its location.

Being an historical place, one should take extra precaution as not to damage the delicate interior fixtures and furnitures. Because the room has wooden floor board that may creak, at night one needs to walk on lighter step not to disturb other guests. Extra bonus is the reliable and FREE wifi internet.

The surrounding area has a lot of nice cafes and restaurants, one is spooled for dining choices. I am happy to recommend this place, if you are tired of staying at a standard hotel, and like something more unique and personal.

Room Tip: Three of the rooms share one bathroom at the top floor, only one room has its own facility. I guess...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank la_speranza

Reviewed 10 April 2012

i stayed there for a week last fall on a part business/part holiday trip and i would recommend the place to anyone. i lived in the room with a balcony on the upper floor, the shared bathroom was extremely clean and generously sized. if you like food the way i do you live very close to paradise there, in walking distance you find some of the nicests restaurants i've ever eaten in. you'll also find interesting shops around this location, central station is conveniently close, too, and you're i.e. at the harbour very fast. if i ever have the chance of going back to sydney i'll absolutely try and stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank trippy163
Reviewed 18 March 2012

this is a small B&B with very nice old victorian style rooms. very good location

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 January 2012

My husband and I stayed 4 nights in the ensuite room. We enjoyed sitting in the small private balcony that overlooks the back garden. The owners are attentive and very helpful with recommendations. Our rooms were serviced daily. The bed was firm, but comfortable. Downstairs there are sitting rooms and an additional larger balcony that guests can use. We made good use of the WiFI for our iPad. The B&B location is ideal as it is a block to the busy Crown St; handy to public transportation and numerous restaurants.
The B&B is great value for the price. It's not the norm big hotel room/suite. It's full of character; quiet; comfortable; friendly. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 21knits
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We stayed here for 8 days while visiting Sydney. Our room was beautifully decorated to period, comfortable, clean and super quiet. B&B is a short walk to central railway station, cafes and entertainment. Price was fantastic for location. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The lavender room is my favourite. Great view and comfortable cast iron bed.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travellergirl1004
Reviewed 24 April 2011

Really enjoyed our stay in this lovely B&B in the heart of Surry Hills. We stayed in the ensuite room which was beautifully decorated and featured a large sparkling bathroom with a small private balcony. The balcony was lovely on a sunny morning and also to watch the sun go down over the city scape.The owners were helpful and friendly and we knew we could call on them for anything we needed to make our stay comfortable. Our room was serviced daily with clean fresh towels provided. The guests also have free use of the very charming lounge and dining areas. The house is very quiet,and the noise from other guests minimal. In fact we were surprized that there were other people in the house as we did not hear them.
The house is in a great location with the Crown Street cafes and funky shops just a short stroll away. A 5 minute walk down the hill to Central takes you to the free bus (555) on which you can hop on and off around the city.
A lovely place to stay especially if you would like to avoid the souless hotel room and stay in a place with real old world charm. Many thanks to our hosts, we hope that we will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank msfayvan
Reviewed 3 February 2010

I am sitting in my room (the 'Green Room') at Brickfield Hill high up in Surrey Hills looking out over a Victorian landscape. One of the owners has just brought me a pot of (leaf) tea in what is a dreamy Victorian home. If it wasn't for the WiFi connecting my Mac to the world, and allowing me to write to you, I could swear I had been transported back to 1880 Sydney, complete with the stillness of the era.
This is a tremendous find and had been recommended by a friend who travels frequently to Sydney.
Breakfast an hour ago (which indeed must be ordered, as this is much more a pensione than a B&B) was endless, was in the dining room with the two others guests here today. What is refreshing about staying somewhere like this is that you get to know the other guests (or not, as you please).
The house is in the middle of Surrey Hills, which itself is an amazing place. It's quiet with wonderful cafes, restaurants and boutiques and I would say, no more than 5 minutes by taxicab to the city centre.
This place has got everything. It's got the charm, the right price (and cheap at that...) and a very non-stated service, and from what I've noticed over the past 3 days, the owners have got the right attitude: friendly, but not friends; they are helpful to a fault 'Professional' I think is the correct description. I have felt very welcomed here indeed and it has changed my view of Sydney forever.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business