“Beautiful home”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Brickfield Hill

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sydney
Brickfield Hill
Ranked #18 of 61 Sydney B&B and Inns
Milton, Massachusetts
“Beautiful home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

My husband and I stayed for three nights over New Year's Eve, only of Sydney's biggest nights (with hotel surcharges that reflect that). We found that Brickfield Hill was reasonably priced given the charm and location. It's located in Surrey Hills and is a close walk to Central Station which made it easy to get "downtown" to the tourists sights, but it is uphill on the way home!

The house is lovingly restored and wonderfully furnished with antiques, but is not over-the-top stuffy. We found our room and bed quite comfortable and cozy and really appreciated the free wifi (only hotel we stayed at in Australia with wifi in the rooms). I also liked that bathrobes were provided, not often the case at this type of spot, even those with shared baths.

Not a B&B exactly, because breakfast is an additional charge. We saw David only at check in and briefly at departure. He was incredibly helpful and gave us a great tour itinerary for our first morning in Sydney. I do wish that he was a bit more accessible because we found his advice invaluable. I wouldn't have known how to reach him if we did need him (knock downstairs?)

A few things that I wish had been different:
-No wastebasket was provided in the room. My husband had a mild cold and it was not reasonable to go upstairs to the shared bath every time he blew his nose!
-The hairdryer was underpowered. It was one of those travel model that just doesn't work unless you spend 30 minutes, even on my very fine hair which is just longer than shoulder length. Given that, in a shared bath, you're very conscious of how much time you spend in the bathroom, it would be nice if a small amount of money was spent to upgrade to a more powerful model.
-No toiletries are provided except for liquid soap for washing hands. I do travel with shampoo, condition, and soap, but not everyone does. Shared bottles of body wash, shampoo, and conditioner would come in very handy, as would several hand towels in the bathroom as we were provided with a bathmat and one towel each and I never remembered to bring it upstairs when I used the toilet or washed my face after walking around the city all day.

Overall, a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Astoria, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

After I decided to take a side trip to Australia while I was in the Far East, I looked an inexpensive and convenient place to stay in Sydney. I have to say this place exceeded my expectations. The location is perfect. It was clean, well-maintained, and it shows a lot of care was taken in keeping up the historic building's character. Also, David was always gracious and willing to help. Highly recommended, and I'll likely be back if I ever find my way back to Sydney.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Bowral, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

Great couple of nights staying here.So much charm and style. The room we stayed in was the stencil room and the half tester bed was so comfortable and the antique furniture and persian rugs were perfect. The whole house has recently been repainted and was immaculately clean and tidy. Everything you could ask for, hot showers, views across the city, fantastic location in the heart of Surry Hills yet away from the hurley burley and we found free parking all day in the back streets!
David was attentive without being pushy and was just 'there' when you needed him. It was like staying with an old friend who just happens to have an amazing 4 storey terrace in the middle of Sydney.
We had breakfast on the first morning which was just what we wanted, home made bread and jam with bowls of fresh berries and yoghurt and a never ending pot of tea. Perfect. Couldn't fault the experience and would definitely go there again!

Room Tip: each room is unique so you can't fail!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rebecca R
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

This antique town house turned B&B is lovingly taken care of by proud owners David and Ivano. Two extremely artistic and cultured men who cares for preserving the beautiful arts of the Victorian era. The place exudes charm and character. There are only 4 rooms, each with its own character and theme. I was put on the top floor, called the Green room, with a balcony.

Overall, I had a marvellous and comfortable stay as it was their quieter season. David was so helpful and obliging, answered to all my requests. It made the whole experience all the more personal and special. The location is just a 5 to 10 minutes walk to Sydney central station, and Chinatown is not too fa away either. After a night out with friends in CBD, a taxi ride back costs only AUD 10 and no more. Going to the airport by Taxi is also only about AUD30. The reasonable rate they are asking offers incredible value, consider its location.

Being an historical place, one should take extra precaution as not to damage the delicate interior fixtures and furnitures. Because the room has wooden floor board that may creak, at night one needs to walk on lighter step not to disturb other guests. Extra bonus is the reliable and FREE wifi internet.

The surrounding area has a lot of nice cafes and restaurants, one is spooled for dining choices. I am happy to recommend this place, if you are tired of staying at a standard hotel, and like something more unique and personal.

Room Tip: Three of the rooms share one bathroom at the top floor, only one room has its own facility. I guess...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank la_speranza
Winterthur, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

i stayed there for a week last fall on a part business/part holiday trip and i would recommend the place to anyone. i lived in the room with a balcony on the upper floor, the shared bathroom was extremely clean and generously sized. if you like food the way i do you live very close to paradise there, in walking distance you find some of the nicests restaurants i've ever eaten in. you'll also find interesting shops around this location, central station is conveniently close, too, and you're i.e. at the harbour very fast. if i ever have the chance of going back to sydney i'll absolutely try and stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank trippy163
Ettenheim, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

this is a small B&B with very nice old victorian style rooms. very good location

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

My husband and I stayed 4 nights in the ensuite room. We enjoyed sitting in the small private balcony that overlooks the back garden. The owners are attentive and very helpful with recommendations. Our rooms were serviced daily. The bed was firm, but comfortable. Downstairs there are sitting rooms and an additional larger balcony that guests can use. We made good use of the WiFI for our iPad. The B&B location is ideal as it is a block to the busy Crown St; handy to public transportation and numerous restaurants.
The B&B is great value for the price. It's not the norm big hotel room/suite. It's full of character; quiet; comfortable; friendly. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple