“Perfect for insomniacs”

Ranked #46 of 59 Sydney B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Perfect for insomniacs”
Reviewed 7 January 2009

Was a bit dubious of the 'free earplugs' in reception, and rightly so. This is easily the noisiest place i have ever stayed - and I used to live under the flight path for Heathrow!.. If having a club below your feet, booming out a continual bass line until 6am is not bad enough, then wait for the binmen to empty the trash!! Add to that the fact Kings Cross is the seediest, dirtiest place in what is otherwise a beautiful city, and you will see that my advice is DON'T STAY HERE!

• Liked — Pillow
  • Disliked — Noise / Location
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank mnicol10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sheffield
Reviewed 9 September 2008

as other reviews have mentioned and i ignored at my peril, if you are staying at this hotel either a) dont stay at a weekend or b) ask for a room thats soundproof!

the nightclub belows noise isnt too bad, its the line and people hanging around outside thats the problem. the funny thing is you wouldnt even know the clubs there till the evening. its just a doorway then sometime after 10pm the red carpet and crowd barrier comes out!

i was kept awake till 6am saturday and sunday morning and 5am on monday. even as an ex clubber my patience was soon running out due to sleep deprevation and due to my budget i was stuck there.

to be fair to the hotel the rooms are very nice.

• Liked — the room
  • Disliked — the club below it
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 August 2008

Great Central location for My sister and I's weekend in Sydney!
Easy to get to the clubs as expected being in Kings Cross, but also very close to beautiful rushcutters bay park, the city for shopping and Bondi. The train station was just a quick walk up the road.

The rooms were fantastic for the $ we paid, very clean, and well thought out. Great TV, DVD player, and very stylish!

• Liked — Stylish rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 April 2008

Stayed on Saturday night - expected a bit of noise as it is Kings Cross!! At check in they offered us EAR PLUGS, not a good sign. Didn't get much sleep at all because Lady Lux (a nightclub open til 6am) was underneath us and the base THUMPED ALL NIGHT LONG. Unless you sleep like a log - forget it!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — THE THUMPING NOISE
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
Brisbane
Reviewed 22 November 2007

Talk about misleading advertising! It is right in the heart of Kings Cross, but the rest of the advertising is misleading. I booked a suite for AUD$104, but am very sceptical whether I was given the room advertised. The windows could not lock, the cleaning was not done, used towels were not replaced, but just refolded, the tap in the bathroom wobbled all over the place, the room was much smaller than advertised. On the positive side - it did have a fridge, coffee making, double bed, and shower that worked. It may be worth booking a Studio room at less cost, but forget the so-called suites. Formule 1 is far better value and at a cheaper price (AUD$89). I woudn't go there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Facilities
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank Oz11
Malaysia
Reviewed 19 August 2007

My sister and I stayed at the Leisure Inn Kings Cross - checked in on the 4th and out the 9th and must say that we were very pleased with it. We paid $A99 for the first 3 nights and $A119 for the last two and it was a pretty decent price for the kind of accommodation we got. We did have to make the payment at the time of checking in but having been advised of that on reviews, we were prepared for that.

We were given a Barncleuth suite. It was very spacious with a double bed and a single one and had a wardrobe for hanging our coats. As advertised, there was indeed a fully equipped kitchenette - microwave, fridge, glassware, plates and bowls, cutlery (including cutting knives and a bottle opener), coffee and tea making facilities. We bought bread, ham and cheese for breakfast because the hotel doesn't have a cafe or breakfast room. The ensuite bathroom and toilet was clean and fairly large and came with a shower stall instead of a bathtub - much to my delight because I have a phobia of tubs (don't ask why!) and the water pressure is excellent. There's also a wide screen LCD tv and dvd player although we didn't utilise much of it except to watch the news.

As the hotel was new (or at least newly refurbished), the beds and pillows were still extremely fluffy and comfortable, the towels and linen pretty new too. In fact, I found the beds so comfortable, I didn't have trouble falling asleep at all the first night (I usually do in a foreign place.

The first night there was a Saturday night and as pointed out by some other reviewers, I was indeed awakened by sounds of nightlife on Saturday and Sunday nights but nothing so major that I could not go back to sleep. Mostly it was sounds of laughter and people talking. If you are there for a restful sleep-in vacation then the noise might pose a problem but if you intend to be out the entire day, walking and discovering the city as we did, it's not a major issue at all.

The first day, they seemed to have overlooked making up the room but we had no problems with that the subsequent days. Overall, the cleanliness is satisfactory.

I believe the reception hours have been extended now compared to previous reviews. If I didn't hear wrongly, it's between 7.30am to 11pm now. It's definitely past 5pm though because we would come back at around 6-7pm and there would be one person at the office. The staff we met were pretty helpful too. I only managed to get the guy's name - Nick. He gave us directions to the nearest bus stop and train station and how to get to certain places we intended to go to. It was also a nice feeling to come back to the hotel and have someone there saying "hi". Makes it feel a little bit more like going "home" :)

Our initial anxieties about the hotel being located in the red light district proved to be unfounded. Sure, the strip joints and sex shops are there (with neon lights flashing I might add) but if you mind your own business, no one bothers you. We did take the precaution of coming back before it was too long after dark. We didn't feel unsafe in anyway walking in that area even though it was just the two of us females.

There are many, many cafes and shops selling all kinds of food around the area (Darlinghurst St) so there's absolutely no worries about going hungry. There are also convenience stores and a 24 hours McDonald's in case one is in dire straits!

All in all, I'd say we got a pretty good deal for what we paid and I'd recommend it to someone who is there as a tourist and wants accommodation with hotel like facilities (my sister and I are not the sort to use a shared bathroom at a hostel) at relatively cheap rates.

• Liked — Convenient location and value for money
  • Disliked — No breakfast room
  • Stayed August 2007
5 Thank Sangria07
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 10 June 2007

Wanting to be near my son who lives at Potts Point I rang the hotel after reading the previous review on this site. It was Queens Birthday in New Zealand and I went over on the Thursday. I had mentioned to the woman on the phone that I don't appreciate loud noise and she suggested that they would put me in a room in the centre of the hotel. From the tone used I asked if the reality was that I would be better off NOT staying at their hotel but was assured this was not the case.

When I got into my room about 2.30 pm I found that it was tiny and had no shelves for clothes, never mind a wardrobe. Planning to go to the Opera House on the Friday night I needed somewhere to hang my good clothes and was respectfully re-assigned to a room at the front above the street. As with the previous review, I was asked to pay as I registered, not as normal, when checking out; the strategy surrounding this became apparent later.

The noise from the street was uproarious and ear-plugs did little to lessen the effect, there was also a booming (less so in this room) from the dance-music night club immediately through the wall from the main part of the building. The club is open until 5am Th/Fri/Sat/Sun. That was the end of any sleep for me until the Monday night. There is obviously no extra baffling in the walls and no double glazing - it truly was a nightmare. I noted that the manager disappeared for the weekend, sensible her.

The rooms are well appointed (other than that small one I wrote of before which could easily be solved with a standing hanging and shelf rack between the end of the bed and the sink bench).
I hear they opened in January and while there are phones in the rooms they are not connected. TVs, beds, and facilities are great, if you are not suffering from sleep deprivation. When the night porter (Ali- helpful chap) helped me to move again during the middle of the night on Sunday, I found to my dismay that although the street noise was significantly lessened in the small central room, the impact of the nightclub was multiplied. It was like trying to sleep in the middle of a giant tympani, while the percussionist was still drumming.

While the manager seemed intent on dismissing the reality of the noise, at least one staff member (Kaijsa) had the honesty to be embarrassed about the situation.

Now you'll have guessed why they take the money upfront. Once you've spent the $500, you are much less likely to leave and go to somewhere that understands that renting a bedroom, at whatever price, is so you can SLEEP in it.

With the nice rooms and beds, plus the other great facilities in the rooms, I was tempted to mark this 2 stars 'okay but with problems' but the very basic enjoyment of any of these facilities was undermined by the overwhelming noise problem, one they either can't or won't fix. Don't know how much money's left in their coffers to do it, as one whole floor is still to be opened and one would think double-glazing at least would easily repay itself.

Summary: Nice rooms, beds, facilities. Location and noise management a NIGHTMARE. You may go once and even stay for the term you'll be asked to pay for at the beginning; but unless you are deaf or a masochist, I doubt whether you'll return... Maybe with a member of the NSW Tourist Bureau??? Who knows?

Stayed June 2007