Verona Guest House
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$150
QT Sydney(Sydney)
US$256
US$197
  • Room Service
Sheraton on the Park, Sydney(Sydney)
US$206
US$295
US$229
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewsblackwattle baylight railother guestsself serve breakfastglebe point rdset us up for the dayfresh fruitshort walkcafes and restaurantseach morningspent two nightsa lovely staystay there againeasy walkair conditioningvisiting sydneyguesthouse
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Owned and run by a father who is helped by his daughter, this guesthouse is well presented and offers a pleasant place to stay in Glebe.

I arrived early and was expecting to just leave my bags while I went out for the day however I was shown straight through to my room. I was located outside the main building in an adjoining room which meant it was well off the main street and away from the noise of the wooden floor boards in the house. Nice and quiet! Although no one smoked when I was there (thankfully), the smoking area was right outside my room and this would have upset me to smell in my room as it would inevitably have wafted under the door. There were no curtains on the windows, only a venetian blind which meant the room was lit from the lights on in the lounge room which are left on all night. I switched them all off except the lamp on my second night when I got back at midnight and this helped a lot.

The laundry facilities which include washer, dryer, iron and board were right next door which was handy for me. Other guests would be better to take any ironing down and doing it there rather than lug it through the house.

The lounge room contained mostly wicker furniture which was ok to sit on for a while but not the most comfortable in the world (but I wasn't there to lounge around, I had people to see and places to go!). Each room has a TV but if you wished to see Foxtel or a DVD you had to go to the main sitting room. Also in this room was a reading table with lamp and several daily newspapers and women's magazines.

The kitchen has a large square table permanently set up for breakfast. In this guesthouse it is serve yourself, all day long! Perfect for a quick afternoon snack of toast or a late breakfast. There were a large choice of juices, teas, fresh coffee, milks, all sorts of different breads, fresh fruit, eggs, and dried fruit and nuts to put on your cereals. Perhaps if anything, some fresh pastries or croissants would have really topped it off as being a perfect continental breakfast but really, what was provided was perfectly adequate.

There is free wi-fi available. My room also had its own split system.

There are two buses from the corner of the street into Sydney and a short walk away is the lightrail.

I would most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank BrawBlether
SunSyd, Guest Relations Manager at Verona Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2011

Thank you for your response. Your room did originally have a curtain but people asked for more light so we swapped it over for a venetian blind. Each room has a digital dvd/tv player so the communal tv is really for foxtel viewing. We are glad you intend to come back and we look forward to having you again.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

Verona Guest House is a cute old Victorian style guest house. After a lovely welcoming and a quick tour of the kitchen/dining/lounge I was swept up stairs to the bed room. The room was clean and tidy. The only down fall is that everything is wood so you are able to hear when other guest are up and about. However there are a number of mats around to try and reduce the noise. We where lucky enough to get one of the car parks, however as we where leaving first thing Monday morning it was requested on Sunday night we find a park outside so the garage door would not wake up the other guest.

The guest house is a brief walk away from the Glebe tram station which takes you into Darling Harbour or the City.

All in all the stay was nice :)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bron G
Reviewed 25 May 2011

I spent a lot of time trying to find somewhere to stay in for a week in Sydney that was reasonably priced and eventually picked Verona on the basis of its 5* reviews. I suspect they're mostly written by people who only stayed a night or two. It was noisy (despite asking for a quiet room we got one at the front of the house overlooking the main road, and you could hear every move the guest upstairs made), not particularly friendly (the owner and his daughter had regular screaming matches when they thought no-one could hear them... which in that house was impossible) and not particularly fresh (they only clean your bedroom once a week, and the bathroom has damp problems which they try and hide with an air freshener).

It's in a nice area with a regular bus service into the centre of town, but if I return to Sydney I'll try my luck somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank derdlederdle
SunSyd, Guest Relations Manager at Verona Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2011

We're sorry you did not have a good time. The air fresheners in the bathrooms are definitely not there to disguise damp. Could you please tell us which room you stayed in so we can investigate the damp issue.

Reviewed 22 May 2011

We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at Verona Guesthouse. The website is very basic so I expected the same from the guesthouse. We stayed there for several nights over Christmas 2010 and loved it. We were delighted with our accommodation, Ben, our host, and the location in Glebe. It felt like we were made welcome in a friend's beautiful home and also given plenty of space to do our own thing. This is ideal for us.

Our double bed and pillows were comfortable.

There is plenty to choose from for breakfast. The fact that it is self-serve means you can eat earlier or later if you choose. This is a bonus if you need to catch an early flight.

Buses to the CBD and Balmain are easy to catch from nearby bus stops. There are plenty of nice shops and cafes if you want to stay in Glebe.

Light sleepers might prefer a room at the rear of the guesthouse because Glebe Point Rd is a busy road.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vineripened
SunSyd, Guest Relations Manager at Verona Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2011

Thank you so much. We loved having you.

Reviewed 18 April 2011

I booked a 3 nights at the Verona Guest House for my parents who were visiting from Melbourne. My place isn’t conducive for overnight guests, and Verona had been recommended by a colleague. I’m pleased to say I couldn’t have found better – it has a welcoming, at-home feel; making it easy for me to spend some time with Mum and Dad before or after our day trips or dinners. We were welcome to sit and chat in the loungeroom, the back verandah or (my favourite!) the upstairs balcony, just off their room. The accommodation is clean, stylish, great value for the price, and a self-serve breakfast is included. It is a family-owned business with a friendly touch, and helpful information is always happily offered in terms of things to do, and local knowledge. Great place, great location.

• Stayed: April 2011