“good old fashioned service”
Review of Glasgow Arms Hotel

Glasgow Arms Hotel
Ranked #120 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Nanning, China
“good old fashioned service”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This is a charming little hotel with nice old fashioned styled rooms. Stayed in a queen which was nicely appointed with colonial style furnishings and flat screen tv. Little balcony. Hotel served a great bistro dinner at a good price and included a continental breakfast in the room fee. The hotel is a great location to Darling Harbour and China town or George street - walking distance to all. Places in this location, are hard to find. But it was a little noisy with street traffic at night and walls are thin. I would stay again if wanting budget price location.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Stayed at the Glasgow after chosing it for the location and price. Was very satisfied with the customer service, the atmosphere and the breakfast. We arrived knowing that it was not a large corporate chain or boutique hotel but with those expectations were very pleased with our choice. Would stay again

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank eherzog888
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I must admit this is one of my very first reviews and it is a bit delayed but i am sure to stay i had a wonderful stay. I went to stay in october 2012 and theatmosphere was very homely and the experience was just genuinely good. The room was clean and a nice size and is easily accessible from the train station which is absolutely wonderful.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kay K
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 14 April 2013

when we booked we were told we had a queen room (apparently the largest room in the hotel). we arrived late at night and the lady couldnt find the keys to our room so we were told that she would give us another room for the night and we could swap the next day. we also had to pay in advance which was fine but we were overcharged and didnt realise until a few days after we had left . . .i had also paid cash and wasnt given a receipt to prove i was overcharged. got to our room and was pleasantly surprised at first. the bathroom was large, the bed comfy and the balcony was nice for fresh air. the downside was that the bed was on wheels and moved any time u rolled over or moved. there was a joining door and when quiet you could hear the people in the other room. breaky was nice on the first day - toast, coffee, tea and cereal. after the first day the milk was not refilled the whole time we were there so we had to keep going down and asking for milk for the cereal and for coffee, the coffee also ran out on the second day and was replaced finally on the 3rd day but by then we had run out of tea and sugar that was never replaced. they also took our coffee cups, the bowl and the spoons on the second day and never bought them back so we were left with 1 cup to use as a bowl and to drink coffee with. on our last morning they had forgotten to refill anything so we had no breakfast :( there is also no phone to ring and ask for things forgotten by room service. apart from not replacing anything room service was terrible, sheets wernt tucked in and only a crappy light blanket on the bed. there was a wardrobe and drawers to put clothes in but they had put the drawers in front of the wardrobe so it couldnt really be used. after the first night we asked to be moved but they had given the room to someone else. hope your luggage isnt heavy as you need to carry it up stairs and to get to the entry door of the hotel you need to go down an alleyway. apart from the bad things the hotel was in a great spot, within 15 min walk to darling harbour and close to bus stops. a 24 hour deli was opposite the hotel so we were able to buy stuff to drink while in our room but the bar fridge was so small you couldnt fit much in there. apart from the bad things staff were lovely and did their best to sort out any problems . . we did have a noisy group start music and screaming at midnight and i went down and complained and it was back to nice and quiet within 2 minutes.

if ur looking for a cheap place to stay close to the city then this will do but be prepared for basics and make sure you have all your breaky stuff cause there is no one around in the morning.

Room Tip: ask for one with a balcony so you can have fresh air, and we enjoyed sitting out there in the mornin...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jennglenn
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We visited this hotel in March 2013 and liked our stay here.
We were pretty much travelling for entire day and came back just to sleep at night.
So from our point of view location, clean rooms were important.

Hotel is easily accessible from the central train station by a tram. Its walking distance to Hay Market station. It is walking distance from darling harbour. It has a small convenience store right t the corner.

Room was clean and had a small balcony. Although the breakfast was not included, cereals, milk and bread were available in the room and they were complimentary.

Staff was polite and helpful.

Overall we got good value for money we spent.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Currently staying in this Hotel/ Pub, room 1. Good sized room, clean, cold air con, foxtel. Check in is exactly 2 pm, spent some time in bar prior to check in as I arrived early, managed to park my car at Aspire just around the corner for $26.00 per night. Met the manager, Steve, nice bloke, very helpful. Only stayed one night to go to Wentworth Park greyhound, 10 min walk down the street. All in all, nice old pub with clean large room.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Mark C
Hong Kong
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I paid AUD 198,- for two nights, which can be considered as cheap in Sydney (room with balcony).

As some other travellers mention, the hotel staff is very friendly and the rooms are clean. For some reasons, I could not obtain an email confirmation for my booking (they spelt my name wrong and maybe I spelt theirs wrong as well because they did not return my request), however, they had confirmed it was booked over the phone and this was the case indeed.

There are quite a few features that deserve a "good" rating but some other balance it, this is why I go for "average".
In terms of location, this is 10 minutes walk to darling harbour, less to Chinatown and there is a tram station even closer that can bring you to the Central Railway station that can be reached on foot as well. However, it feels to be in the middle of nowhere because you have to go across a bridge that feel like walking along a motorway (3 minutes only though).
The extras in the room are pretty good for that hotel category (2 stars?), including toasts, milk, apple juice, kettle with instant coffee and tea, iron and board. However, there was no bottled water and no shampoo (only soap). I had shampoo with me so I do not know if you can ask for some.
I had a good sleep but noise does not disturb me : some may feel uncomfortable with the noise of the fridge (right in the room, not in a cabinet) or the next door neighbour TV (I could hear it through the door but my neighbour did not set the volume very high)

Other drawbacks I can think of are the bed which is on wheels so even if it was a good one, I moved during the night, not sure how it feels if I had been there as a couple. Worst was the cold water on the last day : the shower had been great before but I may have been lucky then.

As a conclusion, I would consider it a value hotel as soon as you have enough money to consider that 100 dollars a night is cheap.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo