Altmann + Cherny - Australian Opals
Open today: 09:30 - 18:00
Review Highlights
Opal buying

They are a great place to buy an opal.. Just to see the largest opal in the world was fantastic... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Jet31568551450
Seattle, Washington
Opals opals opals

Altman & Cherney has a stunning array of opals. The granddaughter’s hand made & designed pieces... read more

Reviewed 17 December 2018
catherinetU6445IW

Recommended experiences in and around Sydney
from US$43.55
from US$71.86
Sydney Bike Tours
630 Reviews
from US$71.86
from US$29.03
More Info
All reviews boulder opal black opal great store customs agent short presentation informative video opal shop no pressure to buy for sale on display earrings stone purchase mining australia jewellers souvenir
Reviewed 10 September 2018

Extremely informative and helpful. They had beautiful stock and helped me choose the right item for my daughter.

Date of experience: August 2018
Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Fiona_Altmann, General Manager at Altmann + Cherny - Australian Opals, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2018

Thank you for your kind review, we're glad to have helped you find the right opal for your daughter. We hope she loves it!

Reviewed 10 September 2018

I knew I wanted to shop for an opal while I was in Sydney and had saved Altmann + Cherny on my list. Little did I know it was right next to my hotel. I walked in my first day in the city and Michelle gave me a great tour of the largest opal, the different varieties and all the options for sale.

There's a great range of options from VERY high-end to reasonable for most budgets. I had planned to look around and if I wanted something to go back the next week when I returned to purchase. I did find a ring that I loved and after sleeping on it one night decided I had to go back and buy the next day instead of the following week. I'm glad I made the purchase and am grateful to have learned even more about my birthstone. On top of that, as I went around the city, I felt like I paid a fair price and wasn't over charged or scammed as I sometimes worry about when buying something that valuable.

Date of experience: August 2018

Thank you Erin for your kind response, we pride ourselves on providing an informative and enjoyable experience for our customers. We're delighted to hear you're happy with the purchase of your opal ring!

Reviewed 24 November 2017

The granddaughter of the original owner gives a talk and short presentation on the history of opal mining and about opals themselves. The selection is amazing, very high end and incredible quality. The service is excellent as is the atmosphere. Definitely worth a visit.

Date of experience: October 2017

Thank you for your review, we highly value the feedback of our customers. We try to provide a unique and personalised experience for every individual who visits our store

Reviewed 22 October 2017

On a visit to AUS you find opal jewelry for sale at establishments ranging from airport shops to high-end jewelers. Altmann Cherny is definitely in the second category. They do have a nice selection of smaller pieces in the less than $500AUS range. But, most of their pieces are above $2000 with some stunning pieces being well more than 10 times that amount. All pieces are well designed and the settings very well made. Matthew M was very help in helping us select a well-matched pair of bolder opal earrings that fell within the price range we are comfortable with when travelling internationally.

The store made no claims about customs-free status when entering the US. My reading of the AUS-US free-trade agreement is that only loose opals are currently exempt. Jewelry is not currently exempt but may be in a couple of years. At LAX we declared purchases in excess of the $800 personal exemption. The first customs agent simply asked in the earrings had been made in AUS and waived us on. A second agent seemed to scold us slightly for the excess and seemed to hint that our declarations should be lower in the future. No customs fee was assessed.

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank Robert C

Thank you Robert for your review, we ensure that our range of quality Australian opals are accessible for all price points. Thank you for informing us about US customs procedures, we were not aware of specifics as every country is different and can change. We're thrilled to hear you are happy with the purchase of your unique boulder opal earrings!

Reviewed 28 August 2017

As part of an Australian tour, interested people stopped at this family owned opal shop near our hotel. The granddaughter (and designer) of the original owner gave a talk on the family's connection to opals and then talked to us about what to look for when choosing an opal and showed us different types of opals.
I chose a nice, reasonably priced necklace with six small opals in an oval silver grid-like setting. The sales person completed the VAT paperwork and let me know how to collect the VAT.

The staff was very professional and helpful. It was an entirely stress free experience and I felt completely confident in my purchase.

Date of experience: May 2017
Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Fiona_Altmann, General Manager at Altmann + Cherny - Australian Opals, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

Thank you for your kind review. I am so glad you enjoyed your shopping experience with us, we always aim to be helpful and professional.
Kind Regards