“Elegant, but not enough for us to return”
Review of Marque

Marque
Ranked #2,917 of 5,943 Restaurants in Sydney
Price range: US$39 - US$131
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Surry Hills
Sydney, Australia
“Elegant, but not enough for us to return”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

There is very little negative to say about Marque, but they seem to lack a wow factor that would encourage us to return.

We attended for their Friday lunch menu (good value at $45 for three courses) with the intention of returning for dinner if suitably impressed.

Service was attentive, professional, but a little cold. Pacing was good, but, when taking account of the parties to our right and left, a little disorganised. We arrived second, received our starter second, then our main first and our dessert last. Not in relation to then we finished our courses either. The couple who arrived last actually left first.

Food was good, as you'd expect. The cuttlefish was well cooked and tasty, the lamb was beautiful (and complimented nicely by the eggplant and aubergine), and the "custard apple" was delicious. Nothing exciting or trend-setting, but good and as labelled.

The wine list offered enough choice for lunch and I enjoyed a glass of Rioja (tending towards young and fresh, as I've grown to expect from the import in Australia, rather than the heavily oaked reserve and gran reserve that I'm more accustomed to in Europe) and a nice Shiraz from Victoria. It was interesting that the waitress couldn't understand my asking for Syrah (as it's named on the menu), but instantly recognised Shiraz.

The decor was elegance exemplified. Plain white table-tops and un-fussy, but fine, cutlery and ceramics. I like their style and the contrast with the music (Oasis, Interpol, Fleet Foxes) was enjoyable.

On the whole we enjoyed our visit, but with the likes of Rockpool, Sepia, Quay, Four in Hand, and Movida still to visit (we've been in Sydney eight weeks) they didn't show enough over lunch to make us feel a return visit is necessary.

As a final note, when drinks were taken into account (including a compulsory $10 for, essentially, tap water) the value wasn't quite there ($200+ which entailed two Friday lunches, a side of potatoes, three glasses of red wine, one glass of champagne, and two glasses of tap water).

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank craigodile

“Lengthy expensive meal”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We had dinner for 4 on a Saturday night. The restaurant is modern with nicely dimmed lighting & comfortable seating. They don't give you the menu till the end of the meal so if you want to know what's being served in your degustation have a look at the menu online or it'll be a surprise. They also charge $5 per person for water wether it's still or sparkling to cover the whole meal (they use an environmentally friendly carbonated water system).
The food was a bit strange, there were some really good dishes such as the 'Smoked Eel with Parmesan Gnocchi & Pumpkin' & the 'Darling Downs Wagyu with Fermented Cabbage & Gherkins'. I didn't enjoy 2 of the dishes the 'Yamba Prawn & Cucumber' the prawn was like an omelet- flattened out & a bit crispy & the 'Nightingale Persimmon with Liquorice & Peppers' I didn't like the flavour of this dish.
None of us had the matching wine option. The bottle of wine & few 'by the glass' wines that we ordered were all good.
There was a long delay between each dish being served, our starter dish was served around 8:30pm & we didn't leave till 12:15am. We even opted out of a cheese plate & tea & coffee to get out quicker.
An expensive meal that didn't blow me away- unfortunately I don't think I'll be going back in a hurry.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Tlussa
Munich, Germany
“Very nice place!”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Been there on the second week of autum... The Menu was tasty and well decoratet... Service exellent with good vine suggestion!

London
“No wow factor”
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

I have just recently gone for dinner. I thought after losing a hat they would be doing everything to get it back, but it seems they are not. Service was good but in my eyes not 3 hat standard and food was a big let down. None of the courses of food blew me away and none were memorable. I'm from Melbourne and expected more from such a reputable restaurant.

• Visited March 2014
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“$45 Friday lunch is like Marque but cheaper”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We went for the Friday lunch last week ($45), which is a three course lunch. It gives you a pretty good idea of what Marque is like - interesting flavours, nice presentation, great service - but at a more affordable price. The dessert was a bit disappointed as it was kind of just like plated fruit. The bonus is the complimentary bread and finger food starter. They also charge $5 for water (no free tap option), which is a bit odd and makes the lunch actually $50 pp.

Our full review with photos is here:

• Visited March 2014