“I'm Sorry But Yoshi Has Lost Its Mojo...”
Review of yoshii

yoshii
Ranked #3,575 of 5,836 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: The Rocks
Denver, Colorado
“I'm Sorry But Yoshi Has Lost Its Mojo...”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Let me start out by saying that when I used to live in Sydney, my office was around the corner so used to eat here regularly. It was always a hive of activity - with most days, the sushi bar crammed with bankers, the private room constantly full and the main part of the restaurant always humming with people. The food was excellent, service was slick, and it was a terrific experience.

So last night, went to Yoshi with the expectation of it being another top notch meal in Sydney. Took a colleague from work.

First thing I noticed was that the sushi bar was dead empty. Not a soul. No place settings even. Just one lonely sushi chef behind the counter. We asked a very young and harried waiter if we could sit at the sushi bar. No - came the reply as if you wanted to sit there, you need to make a reservation. News to me. So we asked if we could sit in the main restaurant. Yes no problem.

The menu has now been relegated to being photocopied and folded into a little envelope. There is a degustation menu at $130 a head, then there is another one-page loose piece of frayed paper with the a la carte menu on it. Thankfully, the once herculean wine list is still in a binder, although they are slim pickings compared to the heady days of old.

We order the smoked cod, the sashimi plate and the wagu beef - all to share. 2 bowls of rice. A a beer each. Oh, I ordered a glass of semillion - which had clearly been sitting in the fridge for too long. Close to undrinkable despite being $16 a glass. Total bill came to $174. For 2. And the servings were small. The quality of the wagu beef was average, the sashimi plate, which still had some of the signature flair in terms of presentation was just ok, and the smoked cod was tiny.

This used to be one of Sydneys best Japanese. Now it is not. Other reviewers are right, It has lost its flair and edge and that Japanese insistence on quality and cleanliness. left the building long ago.

If you have fond memories of Yoshi in times of old, preserve them in your mind now. Dont ruin things by going back now and being disappointed. Like I was.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank eightblack

Sydney, Australia
“Lovely food and brilliant service!”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

The title says it all! Beautiful Japanese girl providing the very best service ....my Chinese girl friend became very jealous through the evening!

The food was ....so imaginative! So subtle! An incredible experience.

If you are staying at the Shangrila you must go!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank David B
melbourne
“Best Japanese”
Reviewed 23 April 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

A suprisingly good find next to Quay West Suites.
Very innovative dishes with attention to detail.
If I lived in Sydney I would eat here every week!

Visited April 2014
New Hampshire
“Excellent sushi, accommodating service”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

My colleague and I arrived on an evening flight from Melbourne, and did not get a chance to catch dinner until after 9:00 PM. It was a stretch to find placed with their kitchens still open at 9:20, and Yoshii was in fact planning on closing, but took us in on a call from the hotel concierge. Based on that we were not expecting other than basic sushi, but what we got was some creatively attractive sashimi and a nice variety of sushi, all of which was very fresh. Despite the late hour the service was attentive but not at all rushed. It was not cheap, but the food was very good and we had no complaints about the service at all. Our only regret was waiting too long to get reservations for a second nite later in the stay.

• Visited February 2014
“Sashimi could not be fresher unless it was still biting”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Typical understated decor, quiet and easy place to talk. You pay for the incredible effort that goes into presentation. We walked in unannounced well after 8 on a Saturday night when they offer a fixed menu. We asked if we could please just have some sashimi. The waitress checked with the chef and yes, happy to oblige. $48 for 14 pieces of shashimi, $7 for miso, this is not cheap, and you will not feel "full", but attention to detail and Rocks location doesn't come cheap!

• Visited October 2013