“More flavour and less attitude! - BORING”

Bodega Tapas Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #529 of 6,032 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours
Neighbourhood: Surry Hills
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This may be a bit black and white, but, for the sake of this review, I'll break restaurants down into 2 categories. In the first you are treated courteously, waited upon seamlessly and nothing is too much trouble because you're the customer and eating in the establishment is about your experience, one that you're paying for.

Then there are places so enamored by their word of mouth and good press that the customer should be honored to dine there. They do things a certain way and don't particularly care what you want because they do things their way. Sadly, Bodega either falls into the latter category, or its image is simply being tarnished by the baldy guy who runs the floor. (Because the waitress was very nice, even when the baldy guy was haranguing her over in the corner)

When multiple customers complained his music was too loud, he could have just turned it down, but no, he had to turn it down for 30 seconds, then turn it back as if to prove he was the winner. He had to do this three times and then stood over us and tried to argue his position that it was how they did things. BORING. We had to ask him to leave us alone. Especially when we weren't there to argue about his music, the four of us were there for someone's birthday, there to spend over 300 dollars on what was honestly pretty underwhelming food. With so many eateries in Surry Hills and Sydney, this place really isn't worth it. if you're set on the Spanish tapas thing go round the corner to Movida where there's more flavour and less attitude.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

If only the management listened to all the complaints here about the music being too loud. But possibly the message doesn't sink in, they don't hear it, because the music is too damn loud. It's a restaurant fundamentally (not a bar or nightclub) and frankly unless you are incapable of conversation you don't need the music to be so loud that you have to yell at people sitting at the same table as you. It's mindless and boring, ok? And when intelligent, educated, well travelled people ask politely if it could be turned down a tad it doesn't help when the waiter says "oh it's usually much louder than this, that's how people like it" . Oh really? Well, read some of the less flattering reviews here. As for the food, call me a cynic but I can never help feeling that the fine Spanish tradition of tapas as small reasonably priced dishes to nibble on over a drink has been appropriated in this town as a way to charge like a wounded bull (excuse the pun) for minuscule portions of food. It was ok but uninspiring. The wine was fine but had to wonder about the $55 price tag on the Jed Malbec ( one of the least expensive offerings) when one can pick up a bottle in a retail outlet for under $20. Ok, restaurant mark up on wine is a given, but almost 3 times what you can buy it for on the street? They were keen to keep topping up our glasses which is not uncommon in Sydney restaurants but did wonder about the eagerness to top up on the sparkling water. Usually one orders a bottle of the stuff and asks for more if so desired. We realised the second bottle was being poured even though we hadn't asked for it. The music stayed loud, despite requests from at least one other customer to turn if down because the waiter said " others were asking for it to be turned up and I have to find a compromise". Ultimately, if you want a contemporary Spanish dining experience in Sydney, it's hard to beat Movida. Busy always, not inexpensive but great food, ambience, graciousness and style. But maybe that's because Frank Camorrra (sp?) comes to Sydney via Barcelona, I think, and Melbourne . And I say that as a Sydneysider and not on the Movida payroll. I had heard good things about Bodega and was there with friends on my suggestion but have to concede I was sadly disappointed.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We recently stayed at the Sebel hotel in Surrey hills and just chance stumbled upon this great tapas bar. By all accounts we were lucky to get a table but greatfull we did
the food is amazing and the staff are great, yes i agree with some reviews the music is loud and the wine a touch expensive but it didnt stop us having a great night we will be back as we didnt quite get thru the whole menu

Reviewed 28 March 2014

I was visiting Sydney for a long-weekend and Bodega was the standout dining experience of my trip. We arrived just before 6:30pm on a Friday night and managed to get a table for 3 without a wait - brilliant.

Firstly the service was fantastic. The staff were really helpful in recommending wines and advise on dishes for our party of three.

We ordered the following dishes: fish fingers: not what you would expect. I would describe it as white fish ceviche on top of crunch bread fingers... it was delicious. Grilled pork belly, which had an accompanying sauce that I could not get enough of. Roast pumpkin salad was a standout - the zucchini flowers really made this dish. The buttermilk pancake with the 62 degree egg: wow! Seriously delicious.. The steamed milk buns were delicious.. but too filling with so much bread and I didn't try the duck (not a duck fan in general). The calamari was also a very tasty dish.

As you can see, many of the dishes I could have eaten more than was provided.. don't get me wrong though, the portions aren't small. We were advised to order 2 per person, so 6 for a party of 3. One of my friends was particularly hungry so we ordered 7. Don't do it.. we really struggled (but had to) squeeze in desert. It was a toss up between the caramelized coconut or the "banana split'. The coconut won - it was delicious and light.. just what we needed after all that food.

The only downside: there is literally only a single toilet (for both men and women); which meant a wait no matter when you needed to go. This seemed very crazy considering the restaurant now spreads over two rooms.

Thoroughly enjoyable evening. Will certainly return on my next visit to Sydney.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

We (5 of us) dined at Bodega Tapas 3 weeks ago. The food was interesting and very tasty, and the wine we selected was perfect with the food we had selected. I also have to compliment the Manger on the service of both himself and his staff. We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience.