“11 Course Degustation review”
Review of Tokonoma

Tokonoma
Ranked #742 of 6,033 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Reviewed 12 October 2013

The interior is sleek and modern with ambient lighting making it a romantic place to take your partner. The lighting did make it slightly difficult to read what was on the menu, but I was here for the 11 course degustation so that didn’t affect me too much.

Edamane beans with a sprinkle of seasalt was the first dish served, pretty much the same as what you get in other quality jap restaurants.

Next up was Scallops served on a ‘chinese congee spoon’. The scallop was exquisite, the only fault I could find in that dish was that the shallots were slightly overwhelming, however, that can be easily remedied. One of my friends said that this was the dish of the night for her.

Beef Tataki was lovely, the meat felt nice and smooth when I was chewing on it, unlike some places which overcook the tataki resulting in a dry texture. Only fault I could find on this was the large piece of fried shallot they place on top of the beef can overwhelm the subtle flavours of the beef itself. However, that’s just me being finicky, each to their own.

The Tomato Salad was underwhelming! Basically it was several slices of an over-ripe tomato with slices of onion on top, sprinkled with some sesame and drenched in a sweet light soy sauce.

The Mackerel ball, I’m quite sure it was Salmon, however, the waitress insisted that it was Mackerel was good. It consisted of rice rolled up into a ball with a slice of “Mackerel” on top which was then grilled, most likely with one of those mini blow torches. Had a dash of mayo on top and a curl of shallot and a piece of fried shallot. Tasted quite good, similar to the grilled pieces of sushi you get at the sushi trains.

The Snapper sushi had a piece of gelatine placed on the top of it. At first I thought it might have been yuzu mixed with sweet soy, however, the gelatine tasted quite salty. Together it was a good mixture and most importantly the snapper tasted fresh.

The “3 fish sushi” consisted of Salmon, Tuna and Kingfish, wrapped with a thin layer of radish, sprinkled with flying fish roe. The combination of the avocado’s creamy smoothness, radish’s crunchy texture and the bursts of surprise as you bit into the flying fish roe was delightful. It was like a surprise with every bite.

Tempura Crab, the tempura was light and crispy. It tasted like I was eating battered snow, however, the excitement fades after the 2nd or 3rd bite as I could start to taste the oiliness. After getting through the layers of tempura, the crab meat itself was soft and creamy with parts of the outer shell a little chewy.

Next up was the Jalapeno Scallops. It was grilled and garnished with what I believe was citrus infused slices of radish. There was a green sauce surrounding the plate which I presume to have been the jalapeno sauce. I couldn’t taste the spiciness of the dish, the scallop itself was good, however, the outer layer of the scallop was slightly overcooked making it a bit tough.

The Lamp Rump was sliced into several pieces and dressed in a fusion of mustard and miso sauce. Everyone agreed that the sauce was too bland. As we had 4 diners in total we received 2 plates of the dish. The plate I had was chargrilled quite nicely but I did find it a little dry. The Lamp Rump on the 2nd plate was too raw making it extremely difficult to chew, I couldn’t understand why the others were complaining about their Lamp Rump until I tasted it from their dish.

Miso soup tasted slightly less salty than the ones served elsewhere, which is a good thing in my book. It was noted that there was a smoky smell to the soup, a friend suggested that it may have been cooked over a wooden flame, resulting in the smoky aroma/flavour.

Dessert was served in a wooden box filled with shaved ice. They had another block of ice which they placed two scoops of raspberry and white peach gelato. Egg tart with green tea at the bottom and topped with pieces of papaya, mango and passionfruit was average, maybe I’m just not much of a dessert person. There was a piece of watermelon, pineapple, slice of kiwifruit and a few grapes to compliment the dish.

The complimentary wine served was light and fruity. It went down smoothly and did not leave a bitter aftertaste. After a while the wine did start to taste quite sour. That might have been due to the fact that I had a drink after eating the sweet dessert, making the wine taste “sour”.

My partner ordered the Lychee and Grapefruit Mocktail. It was a unanimous decision that there was too much grapefruit and not enough lychee juice, making the drink a bitter disappointment.

Staffs were very friendly, accommodating and attentive. It might have been because I dined there on a Wednesday, but they did not mention anything about the two hour seating. I was the one who was worried about overstaying the 2 hour seating, as parking around Surry Hills is mainly for 2 hours only, didn’t want to get fined!

We left the place feeling satisfied, my tummy was about 80% full.

1  Thank Mashifu

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Went there with a voucher deal, the deal stated that it was worth $250, on a 12 course degustation, however the value we received was less than 1/2 that. All the meals were shared and the dishes were small.
The food was nice, however not fantastic and definitely not even worth the voucher amount we paid for.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

I dont know where to start.. 2 of us dropped over $100 in Toko one night and we would do it again. The food is Amazing! the service is great. My tip would be order twice the Gyoza you think you want and something different for each person as you will all want to try each others meals. The dessert was amazing. Im not kidding here DO NOT leave without trying at least one of the desserts.. Id recommend the rice pudding but the Rhubarb crumble is great too! bonus is everything comes out presented so beautifully. Worth the money!

Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

From the time you sit down to the time you leave the sevice is great. The food is so fresh and the taste it amazing. Would have to be one if Sydney's best and now they are looking to open in Dubai end of the year that is how good the food is. A must if you want somewhere really special to take someone

Reviewed 11 September 2013

I've eaten here a few times and totally enjoy the experience. It has a nice bar area and is great for couples or groups. I love Japanese food and this right up there with choice and quality of ingredients. Will definately continue to eat there.