“Must try”

Neighbourhood: The Rocks
Melbourne, Australia
“Must try”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I dined at Quay on Saturday for lunch. It was wonderful. The staff were ever present, professional, pleasant, but not at all intrusive. The view was amazing, we had a sunny day on the harbour, which was lucky. But the food, oh, the food. It not only looked beautiful, but is had so much flavour, had been prepared precisely and was just wonderful. Our favourite restaurant in Melbourne is Attica, against which we judge most others, Quay definitely came close..... Everything was perfect, the focus is definitely on the food and the spectacular view feels like just a bonus. We will be back next the we are in sydney!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
“The best dining experience ever”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Add in the location as an absolute bonus Quay is the ultimate dining experience. Certainly this is a special occasion establishment and not for the casual diner unless one has very full pockets. We had the tasting plate which was a culinary extravaganza of different flavours, textures and produce. The staff, as one would expect, did not let us down catering to our needs before we even vocalized them.

San Francisco, California
“Fabulous”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

beautiful food served with great care and with a wonderful and warm staff. the setting is stupendous. when the cruise ship moved we looked across the key to the opera house. All our guests had the same reaction. i cannot be sstrong enough in my praise or appreciation.

Sydney, Australia
“Really should be more stars”
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Wow. My husband and I went yesterday for our anniversary.

The service was fantastic. We had a few different people tend to us and each we delightful and fun.

The food was divine. Portions perfect because I never felt stuffed but it took 7 hours after leaving a 4 course lunch to be hungry again for dinner.

The standouts: the crab congee. Seriously amazing. It's a winter comfort dish. The tastes are beautiful - like grandma's chicken rice soup only so much better! The custard apple flavoured snow egg. Amazing! The flavours were beautiful, textures worked well and were varied. It was light and delicious.

My only drawback was inconsistent fish. Some bits flaky other bits a bit undercooked for my taste BUT still delicious. My husband had the beetroot first course and loved the taste but a gritty sand texture put him off a little.

All personal taste though!

We will absolutely go back for the 8 courses.

I loved this experience. Peter Gilmore has perfected the menu and picked staff that compliment his brand. Love!!

Wellington, New Zealand
“Degustation Experience with Harbour Views”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I took my partner to Quay (flying to Sydney from NZ) as a birthday treat - we chose the degustation menu and chose glasses of wine as went went, costing about $600Aus in total. The meal lasted three hours, starting at 1pm on a Saturday. The staff were impeccably mannered and highly skilled and looked after us well, food was presented with great explantations of what we were about to eat and it all tasted good. We could not fault anything, servings were perfectly sized to enable us to get through all the courses and presentations were really attractive. The food tasted great, some dishes we loved more than others but there was a lot of variety and something for everyone. The restaurant is a destination for special occasions - it would be hard to afford on a regular basis (for us anyway). I can see why the chef has been awarded three hats. We both felt at the end we just wanted some simpler food that hadn't been messed with using all the clever gastronomic artistry that is all the fad at the moment. It seems like a fun idea, and the dishes were clearly made by a very clever, very talented chef and his team. We wanted to try the style of food and were interested in the way it was possible to turn ingredients in the dishes to appear as something else. But in practice, we preferred the simpler versions of the food magic. My favourite was the gorgeous spin on mashed potato and gravy. I could have just kept on eating that viscous reduction of consommé that acted the role of the gravy, and the pommel purée with it was divine. It was such a delicious marriage of flavours and textures - I can still remember it after two weeks but the other dishes I have already forgotten. I would say it is definitely worth a visit, but I am not sure I would go back for a second visit.

1 Thank Cosmo132