“Worst Experience in Sydney”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Australian, Bar, Grill
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: The Rocks
Ballyduff, Ireland
“Worst Experience in Sydney”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Where to start...I am always happy to reflect on good or bad times and always in a constructive manner, but I have to say this review has tested every part of trying to be constructive. We called at very short notice a few weeks ago requesting a table at 6pm, to be told that they were full: no problem. We then as our voucher suggested emailed our request for another date and received an email reply confirming our booking. We turned up this evening as per our booking at 6pm to be told by a very uninterested and an attitude on her shoulder front of house receptionist that dinner was at 7.30pm. This would not have been a problem, other than the fact that my husband was due at work at 10pm, so we had specifically intended on an early meal so we could accommodate work too. The woman on reception's attitude was apawling to say the least. Uninterested in what we had to say, we asked her to call a Manager over to which she replied ‘well I can but there is nothing he can do as its Living Social’.

The Manager who we later found out was the owner came over and basically accused us of being liers, telling us that we would have been informed of the 7.30pm food service and then walked away. We produced our confirmation email, that did not state any of the time restrictions the Manager had stated to the Receptionist who didn’t even take the time to read it, but dismissed us in the same manner her Manager had.

Unwilling although very tempting to just walk away from this experience because we had paid for service, we agreed to return at 7pm, the time in which we were told by the ‘Manager’ that food service would commence, we returned and honestly this was an error on our part. We asked had the Manager been made aware of our email that didn’t outline the times he insisted it did, to which we were told ‘I will tell him now’…She didn’t tell him or if she did he made no attempt to come to us and rectify the problem. I decided that I would take the initiative and asked Marie if I could have a word with her. She listened and took on board what we said, but ended a seemingly professional meeting with, ‘do you need a hug’?

I must just mention that we ordered a bottle of red wine and as soon as we ordered it, were told that we had to pay for it. When I asked could we not add it to our bill and pay at the end of the evening, we were told NO! So my husband had to get up from the table and proceed to the bar as it was a ‘wired unit’ and pay for a bottle of wine before we had tasted I or even sampled a mouthful of food.

This was the most awful place I have eaten in Sydney and to be told that the owners wife responded to our email, who clearly doesn't understand the business is not good enough.

I have photo's and will post them at a later date as my husband has them on his camera. The toilets at 7.30pm were a disgrace!

• Visited September 2013

England
“sad face - Use to be good...but now just a tacky restaurant”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I first visited Vivaz about 2 years ago and had a wonderful time, the atmosphere was fun and the food was good and the view was lovely. Unfortunately over the last 6-8 months, the quality of the venue and restaurant has taken a nose dive. The only thing that has remained the same is the view out the window :(

I visited the restaurant last Saturday (unfortunately what would be the last time), with scoopon vouchers worth $25 per person. The food selection was limited (a selection of salads, hot foods and as for the churrasco, we were offered beef, chicken wings, roast pork and chorizo. Although it was all you can eat, the quality was average.

As the night continued, we were looking forward to some salsa dancing but unfortunately the music turned into what could only be described as tacky 'night club' remixes.

2 years ago I would have recommended this as a nice dinner and dance venue. Today I can't recommend this restaurant for either. Don't be disappointed, go else where.

• Visited August 2013
“Great Culture - Latin Restaurant/Bar”
Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

Our friends and I got a scoopon for $98 for 4 people including buffet dinner and a free sangria.
Not a huge variety of food but the selection of meat was yummy!
Great music and after 9 and was great to watch the people who actually knew how to latin dance!
Wouldnt pay full price for it though

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Misskridz
Sydney
“Ho Hum!!!”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We managed to get a discount offer which made it an acceptable meal. However, at full price, it is not good value. The food was but disappointing overall. The main meal wa buffet style and consisted of chorizo sausage (overcooked and dry); pork belly (over salted and almost inedible); chicken wing (tasty but dry); braised beef (reasonable) - additional salads and veges were basic but tasty. Dessert was a simple fruit salad (mainly melons) and chocolate mousse (ok if you like melon and mousse). Service was extremely slow and the waitresses "forgot" our orders on several occasions. Entertainment on the night was a DJ and Brazillian Disco.
Over all "Ho Hum", and we won't bother going back.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Iantame
Sydney
“Many Better Options if You Want Churrasco in Sydney”
Reviewed 9 November 2012

We didn't stay for the dancing/nightclub so just reviewing Vivaz as a place to eat.
Ambience is generally a bit tired although if you are lucky enough to get a table near the windows then there are some quite good views of the Harbour and Opera House. We liked that the tables are well spaced but later on when they turned the music up (after about 9:15pm) then it got quite noisy for conversation.
Food is fairly basic, served canteen style i.e. they let you know that the food is now on and you form a line and shuffle past the counters selecting what you want until you get to the grill station at the end and are served a choice of pork, beef, chicken wings and chorizo. If you want seconds of something you stand in the line again. This did break down a bit towards the end and you could go and help yourself buffet style but the way it is organised and laid out tends to make people form a queue. Not really our thing. The refresh rate on the serve yourself dishes was poor so that when going back for seconds or some bread, lots was missing (although eventually they did replenish everything).
The meat was nice - well cooked and spiced, particularly the pork belly. With the exception of a couple of vaguely South American dishes (such as roasted peppers) the vegetables and salads were mostly fairly basic, a couple of different potato salads, a couple of different pasta salads, beetroot, tomato, green salad, cauliflower etc. The sort of stuff that you might see in a cheap hotel or a canteen of some sort.
Staffing was minimal. We ended up just about crash tackling a waitress to order a bottle of wine (although the list was quite reasonable as to quality and price) and then it took ten minutes for her to come back and tell us that they had run out of our selection.
We think that there are many better options in Sydney for this style of food but there probably aren't any cheaper ones, certainly not in town. Vivaz also runs lots of specials via the Groupon style buying services that make it even cheaper. That would be pretty much its major attraction.

• Visited November 2012