“Not Fancy - Excellent Food, Good Service”
Review of Thai on Wok

Thai on Wok
Ranked #3,358 of 6,070 Restaurants in Sydney
Price range: US$0 - US$13
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Neighbourhood: Glebe
Neighbourhood: Glebe
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This is a bare bones restaurant - just a few tables, very basic, nothing fancy. But the food is excellent, freshly prepared, and served quickly. Lunch specials $8.50 before 4pm 7 days a week. Order at the register and the food is brought to your table. Chicken & cashew nut main meal had plenty of large pieces of chicken in a tasty sauce. Tom Yum Soup was spicy, flavorful, and also had large pieces of chicken. This is not a place you would go for atmosphere and ambience, but for those who like Thai food, it's a good choice.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

I visited Thai on Wok while on vacation in Australia. It was always crowded which I thought was a good sign. It was summer and the doors were open so you get "al fresco" dining (a treat for this Chicagoan). The place was extraordinarily efficient. They gave a lot of food for the price (I had leftovers) and it was very good. Not the best Thai I had in Sydney, but very good. I will say that it looks more appealing in person than in some of the photos I've seen online. And it's in a great location right there on Glebe Point Road.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

its not the fanciest of places, but it doesn't aim for that. its good quality tasty thai food at a very reasonable price. the food comes fast and it is pretty consistent

Reviewed 9 August 2011

I love this place. I first discovered it in 1998/1999 and frequented it quite regularly while I completed my degree. Am no longer as conveniently positioned to eat here as often, but if I'm in the area, it's my first choice for a meal. The food is fresh, servings are generous and everything's delicious.

It's a hole-in-the-wall kind of place that puts me to mind of the coffee shops of my Malaysian childhood, but a lot cleaner and infinitely more hygienic. The menu is extensive and there are vegetarian options, but I'm not sure to what extent (i.e. I don't know if they use oyster sauce in these dishes).

Dishes are cooked to order, although not necessarily to individual order; so if 2 people order the same dish close to each other, they will do both orders at the same time instead of separately. Also, at peak times, it can take a while for your order to arrive, if you can get a table at all, so time your visit carefully.

Place your order and pay at the counter, and grab your soft drinks from the fridge next to it, where there are also glasses for water from the machine near the front. The open kitchen lets you watch the chefs' every move, but also means that it can be hard to hold a conversation over the noise, especially when the place is full. But I come here for the food, not to talk or linger, so that's fine by me. And if I can be here to catch the lunchtime prices, even better!

Reviewed 14 January 2010

By far, one of the best Thai restaurants in Sydney.

Although it is technically a restaurant, Thai on a Wok looks more like a delivery place. But their food is just magnificent (and they do take away as well).

The freshness of their ingredients as well as the tastyness of their curries makes it an awesome and very cheap place to have lunch/dinner when in Glebe.