“Stay here if they give you a high floor and a good discount!”
Review of Annam Apartments

Annam Apartments
Ranked #115 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 18 November 2010

The quality of the rooms is decent and even the studio that I stayed in was pretty spacious. Basic amenities are included. The only concern as mentioned by other travelers is that the hotel is located at a very busy crossroads and does not seem to have any sound insulation. As a result, when someone walks past and is speaking it seems as if you are next to them downstairs rather than in your room. The traffic noise is pretty disturbing as well. I wouls suggest taking this room if you get at least a 30% discount off their advertised price and can prenegotiate a higher floor, at least 3rd floor. Also, for some reason it took me over an hour to get a taxi! Internet quality was poor.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank wasimmehr

Reviewed 18 January 2010

I found these apartments online on a discount site, and picked up a cheap deal to stay for a week. At the discount rate, I feel as though I got a great bargain and have no complaints.
Having lived in Sydney before, I was aware that Potts Point *IS* Kings Cross, so I was aware I would be staying in the middle of a busy area. My spacious studio was on the top (5th?) floor, and I had no trouble whatsoever with noise. I have stayed at far noisier and more expensive hotels in Sydney. In fact, given the location, one block behind "the Coke sign", I felt that it was relatively quiet.
There is a great cafe around the corner for breakfast, and KC station is about 3 minutes walk away. Given that I had commitments in both directions (in Sydney's beaches, the CBD and in the inner west) this proved to be the perfect location for me.
Unlike previous reviewers, I found the wireless internet to be faultless and an appreciated free service.
Kitchen facilities were great and well appointed although seldom used by me. Bathroom was equally good and the washing machine much appreciated.
The staff were friendly and helpful, without being intrusive.
If I could pick up a cheap deal again I would definitely stay here. I would probably request to have a room on one of the higher floors again.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Ecrad
Reviewed 10 May 2009

I had read the reviews on this site before staying at Annam Apartments, so I thought I was prepared for how noisy the room was. I was wrong! I stayed on a Saturday and a Sunday night. The Sunday was fine, no problems at all. Saturday night it was almost impossible to sleep before about 4am due to the constant stream of drunk and very loud revelers from Kings Cross walking past. Having said that, the rest of the room was amazing for the price, including an in room washer/dryer, bath robes and very comfortable and large bed. Being so close to public transport and the city made this even better. Perhaps plan a mid-week trip and you'll be set! Don't stay here on a weekend if you plan to sleep.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank AJB1976
Reviewed 26 February 2009

We stayed at Annam Apt for 2 weeks - we had a studio with a queen bed, kitchen and bathroom, (with free washing machine which was handy) and a balcony.
We booked the room through wotif and got a discounted rate, so we paid just a little over what we were going to pay for a much simpler hotel.
The room was very modern, bright, clean, spacious, the bed was comfortable and they changed our towels daily (linen was changed a few times, but not daily).
The parking is one of those weird lifts where your car goes up and disappears, but we had no trouble using it.
Our room was on the third floor and as Annam apt are located at a corner of a busy roundabout (which is the route of lots of buses) and it was quite noisy especially on Friday and Saturday nights when you get people leaving the Kings Cross area after partying.
Staff were very friendly and the location is handy for public transport and Sydney CBD.
Wireless internet was available, but they were having some problems with the server, so it wasn’t very reliable (they said they were changing server soon.
I would stay there again, but only with the discounted rate.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Poppi_MB
Reviewed 3 December 2008

I stayed here for 3 weeks, while on business in Sydney. The Apartments are in a good location, quite close to Public Transportation, and a $15AUD taxi ride to CBD.

I stayed in a 1 Bedroom apartment on the 4th floor. I believe they have bedroom suites, 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom apartments. Not much of a view, but amenities included Flat Screen LCD tv, Cable, and phone. Wifi is available, but I received extremely poor reception in my room, which did not improve during my stay, after several discussions with the front desk crew. If your in town on business, and work in the evenings, such as I, I wouldn't recommend this apartment building. However, if they improve the Internet connectivity/access, I'd recommend for the business travelor and change my rating to an 8 or 9.

If I was in town on Holiday, and had no need for Internet, it's good to go. Location is just north of Kings Cross, which is always hopping, and noted as the debaucherous area of Sydney.

The Kitchen area is okay, offers a Collegiate style fridge, and electric stove top, no oven.

The premises are quiet, and the front desk staff are attentive. Daily maid service,

Overall I'd rate it, a 7 out of 10.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank Sean_Owens
Reviewed 4 September 2008

I am currently still staying at the Annam in Potts Point.
Firstly, it's not actually Potts Point but technically Kings Cross.
The area is dodgy if you travel alone I really don't recommend it.
Reception won't take debit cards, credit only. And she tried to demand a $1000 charge off our cards each that would be "refunded at end of stay" yeah right.
The receptionist was rude and her behaviour was downright disgusting - she treated us poorly from the moment there was a problem with us only have debit rather than credit cards even though we paid upfront.
The bed sheets are scratchy and the pillows are like little lumps of cotton wool.
The rooms are NOTHING like the photos on the website.
The internet connection doesn't work.
Buzzers from the intercom in rooms are disabled so you need to go downstairs to let your guests in and the reception is VERY inqusitive - she has asked both my friends who they are visiting and their full names - even though it's a 'serviced apartment' not a posh hotel and I believe thats not her business.

The 'balconys' are 3 inches big.... you can't actually stand out on them. The doors don't shut properly and windows don't shut properly either so noise and cold comes through constantly.

My room has a dodgy hallway thing that has a cupboard and creeps me out like someone is hiding down in the end of my room and the wind bangs against it constantly waking me up.

I will NEVER stay here again.
I have paid a $200 deposit and my stay in full for the next 3 days and I am afraid I'm just going to have to leave and not get anything back as I cannot stay in a place like this ever again.

I'm missing home and a clean bed terribly.
Do not stay here - the price is NOTHING at all worth what you are getting... I'm certain that for what we paid we could have gotten much better as I previously have stayed at Vibe, Grace, etc etc and loved it for the costs.

Bad recommendation from a friend and I wish I checked here first.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
6  Thank lipglossandchaos
Reviewed 3 May 2008

-Very noisy and worst at night when people get out of the bars. Windows are bad and let the noise enter the room. Like if you sleep directly on the street. Bring earplugs if you want to rest a little. Don't worth the price cause of this problem.
-Fine for the rest.