“An extra visit”

Guillaume at Bennelong
Price range: US$0 - US$872
Cuisines: French, Australian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, View, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
“An extra visit”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My husband proposed to me viewing the harbour bridge from the opera house after having dinner at "The Bennelong Restaurant" in 1981. We then married in 1984 and have returned to the same restaurant on our 10th and 20th wedding anniversaries. We will do the same in 2014 for our 30th wedding anniversary.
I was fortunate though to be treated to an extra visit in November this year when my boss and his wife took their staff there for our annual Christmas outing.
The view of course cannot be beaten, the food was delicious and beautifully presented and the service was excellent.
I am looking forward to returning in May 2014 to this restaurant that holds many special memories for me.

• Visited November 2013

2,868 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,848 helpful votes
“A special occasion favourite”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

It's a place I love for my own birthday or a special treat for overseas visitors. The food and service are exemplary and there is no other restaurant that better captures what is good about the harbour and its environs. If you merely want the view and a casual cheap night, there are several restaurants nearby that have a similar view and are lots of fun. But for that bit extra, Guillaume is special.

Visited January 2013
Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
“Stunning”
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

My third, and probably last time to dine here, due to strange decision to replace internationally renowned restaurant. Food service started badly - have some staff moved on? - but improved steadily, and Czech sommelier was very chatty and knowledgable. 8 generous, flavour filled degustation courses with decent pours of matching wines. Expensive but worth it - especially as it won't be possible to repeat.

Visited December 2013
Sydney, Australia
“The best meal I have ever had, thanks for the amazing birthday dinner!”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We had dinner booked for my birthday today and it was originally fully booked, as unfortunately Guillaume at Bennelong will be making way for a more "family-friendly" restaurant from next year, but because it was my birthday, the amazing staff managed to make room for my booking.

We had the three course pre-theatre meal with the Paris Mash as a side-dish. For our entrées, I had the pork belly, my father had the oysters and my grandfather had the king salmon. All were perfectly cooked and well-seasoned and were an absolute dream.

We didn't think that the meal could get any better from there until we were served the mains, which were even better than the excellent entrées. I had the Angus beef, my father had the deboned lamb tenderloins and my grandfather had the Malloway fillet. All were beautifully cooked, and tasted spectacular. The Angus beef was extremely tender and juicy, and the sauce was very delicious. The deboned lamb tenderloins were similarly, extremely tender and the sauce again, was succulent. I think the surprise of the night though was how good my grandfather's Malloway fillet was, I don't think we've tasted quite a fish before, it was cooked to perfection and seasoned very well.

For dessert, I had the Opera cake which was served with coffee ice cream, my father had the Vanilla Bean Créme Brûlée and my grandfather had the Nougat Glace. All desserts were scrumptious and very well presented, and in particular, I would like to give my thanks, for the "Happy Birthday" on my plate.

The service was excellent and very attentive, and knowing that you are dining inside the world famous Sydney Opera House is a treat in itself. I would have no hesitation in dining here again, if given the opportunity and look forward to seeing what Guillaume Brahimi has in store for Sydney in the future! Thank you for the perfect birthday dinner!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Sidneiensis
“Fine dining”
Reviewed 17 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Very sophisticated menu and great wines. One of Sydney's finest restaurants, shame it will be closing down soon.

Visited November 2013