The Australian Heritage Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewskangaroo pizzaaussie pubaustralian pizzabridge climbpale alecommon roomrocks areashared facilitiesyogurtceiling fansydney harbour bridgelong weekendrooms are smallfamily roomstayed for one nightclose to circular quayopera house
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My husband and I had dinner and drinks here, it was great! It was pumping(even for a Thursday), so the atmosphere was lively. Pork belly pizza was delicious!Is close to other pubs so you can "crawl". Good Aussie vibe :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I ate lunch here several years ago catching up with friends. We basically ordered a bunch of interesting pizzas with Kangaroo, Emu, Crocodile meat toppings. Wanted to try them once in my life. After all, if no one told me what I was eating, I would have thought I was eating chicken and beef. Check out my photo for the menu at the time.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank WandererSun
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed at the Darling Harbour YHA, and went here for some food/beer.
The service was good, the beer of the week was something awesome(Pity I can't remember what it was) and I did have a Pizza for dinner.
The Pizza was excellent, and the beer nice and tasty/cold.
What more could a person ask for?
When in Sydney, I will be back for more

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I recently stayed here this Anzac day long weekend with my fiance. I was just after somewhere affordable but we were so pleased with what we got (especially for the price).
I had never stayed in a shared bathroom accommodation before but I was pleasantly surprised.
I was so happy with the service and cleanliness. The decor is true to its Victorian heritage and they have really made the most of each room.
The only issue we had was a quiet little beeping noise about every 15 minutes but you could tell it wasn't a normal occurrence. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I was doing a trek up the coast of Australia in 2012 and spent a few days in Sydney. After doing some reading, I knew I wanted to stay in The Rocks - and didn't want to spend my entire budget on a hotel room - Sydney is NOT cheap. The Australian turned out to be exactly what I was looking for, BUT, I can see why it might not appeal to everyone.

First- the good.
The location, as I said is perfect. It's about a 5 minute walk to the water (if that) - The Hotel itself is one of the oldest in Sydney and holds all the charm you'd expect out of a place like this. I have no idea about the food except the pizza - which the hotel is known for and is AMAZING. The beer list is like nothing you've ever seen before - and everything I tried was great. Sitting outside at night offers a variety of conversation between other travelers and you're enough off the main roads so it's quiet - unless there's a rugby team staying at the hotel and then it's never quiet! Breakfast is set out in the library - and it's a great place to get your coffee and chat with other people.

Now, to the owners of the hotel - I'm not complaining BUT there are some things people should be aware of before booking: There is no elevator - so you will have to carry your luggage up some very old, creaky stairs. The rooms are small - don't expect them to look like a modern hotel with lots of room. It's a very old hotel with old world charm. There is no AC, but each room does have a fan. Most just have a bed, closet, chair and a desk leaving little room to walk around in. If you're just looking for a place to sleep - it's great. If you're looking for a place to hang out and don't want to be seen in the lounge area or library - you won't be happy. The washroom facilities are shared too so if you don't like using the toilet or showering with other people (like at a gym), this might not be the place for you.

I didn't mind any of this, and found my stay to be quite comfortable. Everything was clean, staff was kind and I had a very pleasant stay. If I ever find my way back to Sydney - I'd likely stay here again. If I had any complaint, it would be about the view. The website at the time claimed there was a great view of the bridge and Opera House from the roof top. Though you "can" see it, it's not great. You have to strain to see it. Silly thing to complain about, but if you're hoping to see these two sights - take the 5 minute walk down to the water and see it up close - don't rely on the rooftop view.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends