“Quite cheap, very central, nice staff”

The Australian Heritage Hotel
Ranked #93 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Only stayed one night here for a gig in Sydney. The hotel is really easy to walk to from circular quay train station but there's a lot of steps. I went into the bar to ask for reception and one of the staff looked after me, even carrying my bag up stairs for me.
The room was fine. Bedclothes were clean and the carpet looked relatively new. I was a bit worried about noise as the bar downstairs is busy. When I got back at nearly 11 the bar was still going strong but I managed to get to sleep and when I woke up a bit later all was quiet.
My room was right beside the breakfast room which meant being woken at about 6.30. Breakfast was toast and cereal.
I didn't realise when I booked the room wasn't ensuite and I hadn't brought flip flops for the shower. Regardless I had a shower in the two shower bathroom and it was one of the best showers I've ever had. The water pressure was amazing.
This hotel is a good option if you just want a bed in a central location. As seems to happen a lot in Oz the term heritage seems to mean not refurbished or well maintained, my window wouldn't close on the top pane. It's got some nice heritage features but needs a lot of TLC. I may stay again but probably not. If you do go bring flip flops for the shower.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sarah2009Ireland

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We had just arrived in Sydney for a month holiday in Aus & NZ to celebrate my 60th b-day. We found the people in Sydney to be absolutely wonderful, helpful, gracious, fun, interesting and down to earth. As we strolled about, we wondered on in to this great historical bar, which just happened to be part of this hotel. Since it was our first day in Sydney, the lady bartender offered us a free beer. We graciously accepted , and found it to be most excellent. The conversation started from that point on. It turns out they have a tradition, if it is your first time to Sydney, you are offered a FREE beer. And so many GOOD ones to pick from (Australian made). :-)

Room Tip: We only enjoyed the Bar! Walking the famous bridge, attending a show at the Sydney famous theater l...
Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank doris s
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My expectations were actually exceeded by this hotel as it doesn't rank highly on tripadvisor. The room is quaint with a vintage, old-world appearance. The lighting in the room was a little dim (I suppose this provides a romantic feel). The room was clean and tidy and bed was actually quite comfortable. The shared bathrooms are a little cramped and old and breakfast is basic toast, condiments and cereal. I think the hotel is a little overpriced for what it offers but it is in a very convenient location for sight-seeing and tourist attractions.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank joobieee
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Great location, great food (the salt water crocodile pizza was amazing) and friendly staff. I met up with a few friends whilst traveling to Sydney for the trivia night here. This was an excellent evening with a great atmosphere. Food was great and a huge range of beers. I would recommend this location to anyone visiting Sydney. I recently moved from Sydney and now play tourist when I regularly return for business. I can't believe I did not go here more often when I worked nearby a number of years ago.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Tryatleastonce
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We were recommended to try their pizza by several people and they were right to steer us here. It's a typical pub serving food with many different brews on offer. We went for the pizza. They had lots to choose from. The base was good, you can get gluten free too. The toppings were plentiful. If you order chips you get a large bowl full. If you want a pizza in Sydney then here's the place. Enjoy.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We specially come to this place to try their Kangaroo and Emu pizza (Coat of Arms)! It tastes pretty good! We also ordered Tandoori Chiken Pizza, chicken wings and salad. Overall not bad! Non-Aussies should at least give their specialty pizzas a try!

1  Thank Woon Cherk L
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Excellent location in the rocks. The rooms are basic but clean. The lounge room is comfortable and breakfast was included. The staff are friendly and accommodating. The food served in the bar is delicious and they have a massive range of beers.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple