“great way to spend the night at Alice Springs”

Sounds of Starlight
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The show was very enjoyable and I will highly recommend it to anyone. With the uniquely decorated stage and various interesting pieces performed by Andrew and his band, the show was well worth the money. Everyone had the chance to join in during the final performance, which was really fun.

1  Thank hcchelsea
Samantha1966, Owner at Sounds of Starlight, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thank you so much for a glowing report and sorry I did not get back to you sooner.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"myths"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I was disappointed with this. I booked in over a month before the date, only to learn that a booking gets you nothing. I arrived at 7:50pm for the 8pm show. I had to wait for people who were purchasing tickets on the spot before I could check in and be admitted. Once inside, the theatre was almost at capacity. I was told I could sit upstairs at the same time a group of about 10 people were directed up. (There are only about 10 seats upstairs.)

The 90 minutes allotted for the show goes something like this: 10 minutes for a late start, 30-40 minutes of Andrew playing with two drummers, 30 minutes of Andrew explaining how to play a didgeridoo and doing some ad lib bits - this was possibly the best part of the show since the sound was pure didgeridoo - and then an audience participation 'jam session.' The last 10-15 minutes are for people who want to pull out some beginner didgeridoos and have a go, albeit, without any guidance except the explanation given previously. So, all told, it's a 30-40 minute show (maybe 5-6 songs) stretched into 90 minutes.

I stopped in the shop earlier in the day as it advertised lessons. Since I was too late (lessons are at 1100), Andrew suggested coming back that evening for the show. I stated I had a booking, and I left thinking there would be some guidance, but that wasn't the case.

I am not an artsy person, and I think the story telling aspect and inspiration for the music would be more appreciated by someone more open to art than I am. I don't think this explains my disappointment though.

2  Thank mommaBear308
Samantha1966, Owner at Sounds of Starlight, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

I was very surprised to read of your disappointment. As you would have noticed our show is very popular and during the height of the season books out very quickly. The show normally starts promptly at 8.00pm but it seems you arrived when there was a rush of late arrivals i am sorry I can understand your disappointment at having to wait. However, upstairs there is seating for 15 people not 10 so there would have plenty of seats available and many prefer to be upstairs so they can see right over the top of the majority of the audience. Your comments about the performance are disappointing for us too as this is a very popular show which has to cater for everyone but we will take into consideration your comments. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

the whole family enjoyed this show, it was educational,enjoyable and the entertainment was well worth the entrance fee..

1  Thank Darrell L

So glad the whole family enjoyed themselves so much. Thank you.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

There is not much to do in a Alice Springs at night so although we had seen a number of Didgeridoo players before we still went as we were in the Outback. We were impressed with the skill of Andrew Langford who was the performer. He is not Indigenous but has been very involved in their communities over many years and was very talented on the didgeridoo. It is a little theatre set up but cosy and nicely decorated. We actually sat in the mezzanine level which was perfect whilst our kids sat on the floor at the front of the stage. The show was just the right length (1.5 hrs) with a good mixture of watching and interaction. At the end there are some didgeridoos that you can practice on too. A great experience for those from overseas. A little tip... It's cheaper to buy your tickets as 'show only' and book The Red Ochre restaurant separately as kids are charged by their age for their meal rather then the $50 it works out if you buy the Dinner and Show package.

1  Thank Ozetravellers
Samantha1966, Owner at Sounds of Starlight, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

So glad you all enjoyed your evening. Although the meal I believe is mouth watering it probably is not suitable for those younger children who do not eat as much as a teenager.