“Among budget hotels in Alice, this is a proper comfortable motel”

Alice in the Territory
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Alice Springs
Winnipeg, Canada
“Among budget hotels in Alice, this is a proper comfortable motel”
Reviewed 27 May 2009

The motel was clean and the room was comfortable and functional. This does feel like a proper motel along the standards I am used to in USA/Canada -- Alice Springs hotels are expensive and it's tough to find better value than this for a decent basic hotel. Location is outside town. The mattresses were a bit worn and not terribly comfortable but quite decent. The room was clean and everything worked properly. Bathroom was a bit ugly, but you won't find better among budget hotels in Alice. After seeing other budget hotels I decided, in hindsight, that the Comfort Inn had the best rooms.

The motel is on the edge of Alice Springs and it's a 30 min walk to the town center. This is the only downside, unless you have a car in which case it doesn't matter. The motel is in a quiet area, with the large new casino across the street, and this is the only place in the vicinity you can find food (the motel also has a small restaurant). The motel is surrounded by a mountain range, which I found rather attractive.

Very nice place overall, except that the location is a long walk from town.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Perth
Reviewed 8 April 2009

I arrived after having read so many negative reviews with some trepidation and was very pleasantly surprised to find a clean and comfortable hotel. I had packed cleaning gear but everything was spotless and the rooms well maintained. The kitchenette was very handy and well equipped. The staff were very friendly and obliging. We made use of the pool each day(pool towels supplied) . The breakfast was hearty and well cooked and was part of the very reasonable tarrif and they even drove us to the airport free of charge!!!! What's not to like? I have stayed in some very ordinary places in Europe and paid more than twice as much not including breakfast. The only very minor problem was having to climb the stairs withour heavy suitcase.

1 Thank kakaPerth
Adelaide, SA
Reviewed 17 March 2009

We arrived a little early on the day of check-in, and the friendly reception lady changed our room to one that had already been cleaned. Ended up being a double room (two queen beds) which was nice. Room was clean, as was the bathroom (yes it was a moulded plastic room, but it was roomy enough and obviously easy to keep clean, so who cares?)

The split-system air conditioner struggled to keep the room cool, firstly on a 38 degree day but then also on the low-30s days. I actually removed the air filters and gave them a good clean (they were choked with dust) which helped a little, but they're obviously cheap units.

Had breakfast one morning in the restaurant, which was reasonable ($18.50 full hot buffet) and tasty.

All the hotel staff we passed were friendly and said 'good morning'. The pool area didn't live up to the photos on the hotel website, but it looked ok (didn't actually try it).

To be honest, I would have been disappointed if I'd paid the advertised full rate ($200+) but I booked through an airline website for well under $100, and for that I think it was fine.

1 Thank AdelAdventure
Melbourne
Reviewed 13 March 2009

I can understand other people reviewing this hotel in the most negative way because let's admit it. It is outdated and the bathroom makes some hideous noise whenever you turn the tap on. But I seriously don't know one place in Australia where you can get a decent private room with your own bathroom and pay T.V for $54.00 per night. Even hostels are charging $70.00+ with shared bathroom facilities!
It's not the Ritz but for $54.00 in this pricey land of OZ, this is a GEM!
I only got this rate because on Choicehotels website they had the room available for $70.00, but on Wotif it was $60.00. That was cheap enought but I realised that Choice hotels had a best price guarantee so I sent them an email and they beat the room rate by 10 %. If I had paid $100.00+, then I'd be furious with this hotel and will leave some nasty review as I found the biggest cochroach lurking in the bathroom, but for $54.00, I was over the moon!!!!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2008

Stayed here for two nights in October as part of a month long trip to Australia and New Zealand. Unfortunately all of the semi-nice looking properties in town looked to be booked even 4 months in advance. This property used to be a Novotel but I honestly can't see how - it's probably not the worst hotel I've stayed in but it's one of them.

The photos on the website are actually pretty accurate but the rooms feel grubby all over - the curtains , carpet and especially the bathroom / bath are dirty. I certainly didn't feel clean or that the room provided ample protection from the elements outside. It had a rather strange smell in the room which stayed even once the AC was switched on (only stays on whilst a strange piece of white plastic on the key is inserted into the wall).

We didn't try the pool area or the restaurant but the restaurant looked dead and so did the pool area. Getting to the rooms is outdoors on paving stones. The hotel is located out of town and is a ten minute taxi journey away. It's just accross the road from the casino though if you need to escape from the hotel. I wouldn't stay at this hotel again - the staff were reasonable and it did include free transfers to the airport which were excellent but I was glad to leave.

While in Alice we visited the casino (Lassiters) just accross the road and if their rooms are even half as nice as the rest of the building I would stay there in a heartbeat as it's miles better. Unfortunately though it was fully booked on our dates.

• Liked — Free airport transfers
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank liamuk2

Travellers are raving about these Alice Springs hotels

Northern Territory
Reviewed 27 October 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and going by the pictures and information on the web it should have been an excellant stay,HOW WRONG IT WAS.
Rooms dirty looked behind the curtains to open the windows which had cobwebs every where and window runners full of dirt.There was no information in the room about any of there facilities or meal times.NO MINI BAR even though all information we read up on said there was.
The pool was no safe to use because if you steeped the wrong way you would cut your feet to pieces.
The gym was out of order.
the bath looked like it had never been cleaned properly the exhaust fan was filthy the drains stunk and the toilet flushed properly when it wanted to.
Breakfast in the dinning room was an experience in its self the toaster did not toast correctly and when the waitress was asked what was wrong with it she would just walk away and go and stand behind the bar to munch away on her own food in full view of every one and could not be bothered to even clean up serving areas,And for a restaurant you would not expect to have cobwebs anywhere and dirty floors.We checked the menu whilst we were there and I have seen better priced and presented menus in pubs.
I have since tried to log onto their adverised web site which is a waste of time as it does not work.
So if you are not fussy about clean safe accommadation then by all means stay there but I for one will never reccommend this hotel to any one and will never stay there again.
If you are looking for budget accommadation there are better ones in Alice Springs than this one.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Every thing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Terri2rian
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed 11 July 2008

Always believe tripadvisor reviews. I wanted a room with a bathtub and as the other Alice Springs choices were booked out I went against advice and booked this as I thought how bad can it be?
When L checked in I asked the indifferent staff if I could change my booking from a family room to double. No booked out!!!! Must have been a bus tour as there weren't many cars in the car park.
A cursory glance at the hotel room, seemed basic and had a funny smell?Dont worry airconditioning should fix that and freshen stale air.Leaving our stuff and returning much later the room still smelt. It was only when I went to the bathroom I actually saw its condition .The old bath.hidden by the shower curtain was BROWN stained and plug hole mottley UGH!!!! the basin was crazed but worst of all the toilet was leaking water from the back and that was where the stink was coming from.It was too late at night to consider changing hotels but after a sleepless night in a squishy bed with the oldest flattest pillows I have ever seen I now realise I should have. After paying extra just to have a bath tub I couldnt even use it and left the hotel feeling filthy.
When I mentioned the stink and leaking toilet the only response was I got was" I will mention it to maintenance". No apologies or compensation.When I asked if this was the standard of their other rooms she replied" some are better than others". As we were paying top price for our room without breakfast I wondered if ours was one of the better ones.!!!! The hotel must have known the condition of the room as the smell was apparent when we arrived but they showed a total lack of care.I cant believe this hotel advertises itself as 4 star itl doesnt even rate one star and I will be writing to the hotel Chain to complain.I am sure the local backpacker would offer a cleaner better room with better service.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED TAKE MY ADVICE AVOID THIS ROTTEN HOTEL.

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — ABSOLUTLY THE WORST ROOM AND SERVICE EVER
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple