“A quiet and well appointed Hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alice Springs
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Alice Springs
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 May 2013

A very good and consistent Hotel, well integrated into the desert environment with a magnificent backdrop of the McDonnell Ranges. If you have the time they hire bikes and it is well worth spending a day enjoying the scenery around the fringes of Alice Springs - including the Telegraph Staion.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Write a ReviewReviews (1,617)

Reviewed 24 May 2013

We hired 3 rooms for 4 people making a documentary over a 5 day period. Day one, after our crew had dinner in the lobby bar I was chased at the front of the hotel as we were leaving by a waiter insistent that I had not paid the alcohol component of our bill. I had paid it yet had to return inside until another waiter corrected the mistake. Day 2, one of our team was told that breakfast would cost $25 as it was not included in the contract. It was and I had to find someone at reception to provide copies of the original booking which included breakfast. I informed them that they were shown these contracts when we checked in. Their response? Did the person on reception photocopy them!? I would have thought that it was their job. Next day, I tried to use a printer in the business centre. It didn't work and took a staff member 45 minutes to figure out why. Other issues just kept arising throughout our stay which required almost constant monitoring to ensure their mistakes would not affect our working schedule or the budget. On the final day, when I sought to pay any outstanding costs incurred the person on reception added all 3 room accounts into 1 and ended up attempting to charge us for another $700 for an extra day for which we hadn't stayed! It took an eternity to find a duty manager to correct what he called a computer glitch to correct this error. When I paid cash for the $17 outstanding I gave him a $50 dollar note and he gave me $3 change until I reminded him I'd passed him a 50 dollar note. As a result of this ineptitude, we made our flight check-in with 1 minute to spare. With the exception of the female duty manager and Daniel on reception, this place is staffed by nincompoops who will doubtless argue that these problems are the result of a systems changeover from Crown Plaza to the current company. I beg to differ and when we return in September, we wont stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Robert H
CF-AKLLT, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alice Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Dear RobertH,

I appreciate you taking the time to post on TripAdvisor and am sincerely sorry to read that we fell short of your expectations.

As you have noted there was a change in management of the property on 1st May however this should by means be an excuse for not delivering a perfect guest experience. I greatly appreciate your feedback; this has certainly assisted with pin pointing additional areas of focus and ongoing training and development areas of team members.

I recall personally talking to you during your stay to permit filming at the hotel. I am sorry that I was unaware of these matters as it would have been my pleasure to assist. Our goal is to provide the best of the best in the region and to ensure all guests leave having enjoyed their time in Alice Springs.

If I can be of any further assistance or I could tempt you back later this year, please do not hesitate to contact me directly, it would be my pleasure to assist.

Reviewed 24 May 2013

I can understand the criticisms of other reviewers who compare this to other Hilton Hotels (or five star hotels) in big cities around the world and say this is not up to standard. But this is Alice Springs, not Paris, and I feel allowances can to be made for that. If you compare it, instead, to what else is on offer in Alice (and I've stayed in quite a number of different places in Alice), this hotel stands head and shoulders above the rest. It is the only one that has any idea of service. We enjoyed the food ... an excellent meal at Hanuman restaurant (admittedly independently owned, but nonetheless excellent) and a very good breakfast. I do agree with the reviewer who complained there is no WiFi in the rooms ... there should be in a place of this standard. But other than that quibble, I would say that for my money this is the best hotel in Alice and also the best value. I paid in advance for our stay and received a very attractive rate. The location is a little inconvenient if you don't have a car, but if you do that will not bother you at all.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
CF-AKLLT, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alice Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Dear Melb-girl13,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your positive feedback and will ensure that this is shared with my team.

Your feedback regarding WiFi in guest rooms is well noted and I can assure you that this is something on the top of my list to review. The hotel currently offers high-speed internet in rooms and complimentary WiFi in the hotel lobby.

It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed our breakfast offering. We recently made enhancements to this including the addition of our new A La Carte breakfast to accompany our hot buffet and continental offering.

Thank you again for sharing and we shall look forward to welcoming you back to DoubleTree by Hilton Alice Springs on your next visit to the region.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

We spent 1 night here before boarding The Ghan and 1 night after our Red Centre tour before flying home.
Arrived in the morning on cross over day from Crowne Plaza to Hilton Double Tree. The Reception were having problems with the new computer system and though we would have to wait 2 or 3 hours before we could book into our room however, someone helping the reception guy found us a room within minutes that we could check straight into. Nice room with a balcony, maybe needs a little TLC but I guess Hilton will take care of that in time. It's a little way out of town, we were told about a 15 minute walk but it felt alot further in the Sun, we took a cab back!
We ate in the Lobby Bar on the 1st night. Extremely good and value for money.
On our return we ate at Hanuman, beautiful food.
Good value for money laundrette, dry your big items on the balcony!
Pool looked lovely but we didn't have time to try it.
The ladies serving in the breakfast room were lovely, excellent service and good coffee.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
CF-AKLLT, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alice Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Dear liz160764,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at DoubleTree by Hilton Alice Springs prior to your trip on the Ghan and following your visit to the Red Centre.

It is pleasing to read that you found our team friendly, especially at breakfast. I will ensure that this feedback is passed on to the team.

Following your stay, I am pleased to let you know that we have further reviewed the breakfast offering to align with our worldwide standards and as such have introduced new service standards in Springs restaurant. We are now pleased to be offering both A La Carte and buffet dining options which has been taken well by recent visitors.

liz160764, I further appreciate your comments regarding the building itself and while it has been very well maintained, I can assure you that there will be some noticeable improvements in the future following the recent change of management company.

Thank you again for sharing and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Alice Springs once again in the near future.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

I agree with recent posted reviews. The place needs a lot of work. It looks and feels tired, but has just switched over to Hilton management.

We ate at the in house café. Lots of drinkers/diners and a good atmosphere.

The meal was a disaster. Thai fish balls were rubber and returned. The other tasters hardly any better. We then ordered pizza and salad (to be safe!). Salad arrived in 5 minutes and pizza 15 minutes later. The wrong one, Returned to the kitchen. The correct pizza delivered after 35 minutes. Not good!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear David W,

Many thanks for taking the time on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to read that we fell short of your expectations on this occasion.

As you have noted, we recently converted the property to DoubleTree by Hilton and are currently intensively retraining hotel team members to deliver the level of service you have come to expect at one of our worldwide hotels.

Please be assured that I very much appreciate your feedback regarding your dining experience in THE LOBBY, I have addressed this with my team and further are pleased to advise that on Monday this week, 20th May we launched a new menu in THE LOBBY offering a much greater selection of Australian fare.

I would greatly the privilege of accommodating you here at the hotel again sometime in the future and would further appreciate feedback on your next stay with us to ensure we are getting it right and making it right.

Thank you again for posting.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 19 May 2013

There was nothing specifically wrong with this hotel. Room was OK, clean, but just tired, worn and dated. We had a balcony facing the mountains. A nice surprise was that it backed on to a nice little golf course so we were able to play several rounds by just walking out the back door. While the hotel is walking distance to town, it is a long walk. We had to taxi back with our "beverages and snacks". There is a small Casino just a few blocks away. Breakfast buffet was very well stocked. There is no Wifi but they give you a something like 20 minutes daily at no charge if you sit in the lobby. There was a sign outside that advertised Bike Rentals but when we went to rent them Front Desk said none were available because they had been stolen. They took the sign down. There is a car rental stand in the lobby, staffed for a few hours in the morning with a sign saying "we have cars". However, when we went to rent one, they only had cars available at the airport, not the hotel, and we would have to taxi both ways for pick up and drop off. One shock was that we left a cookie on the table in our room one morning and when we returned 5 hours later it was covered in ants. Very freaky. Front desk staff was unfazed by it and told me that just happens. Staff were pleasant.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor with a balcony facing the mountains. Decent view and was shaded so not to...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Sharon155023,

Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor, it is pleasing to hear that you enjoyed the views from your room, facing towards the McDonnell ranges and proximity to Alice Springs golf course which is ranked as one of the top 10 desert golf courses in the world.

I appreciate your feedback regarding interactions with the hotel team and will ensure your feedback is discussed in-depth.

As you have noted Avis car rentals offer a service from the hotel lobby which includes drop off and pickup. I will ensure your feedback is bought to their attention so that this full service offering is clearer to future guests.

I do apologise that ants took a fancy to your cookie, due to the location of Alice Springs, being a desert, it is common to see ants outside. Please reset assured that it would have been our pleasure to offer another cookie for your delectable consumption.

Thank you again for sharing on TripAdvisor, I do hope that you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back at some stage in the future.

Reviewed 16 May 2013

This hotel has decent amenities including a lovely resort type pool and the rooms are what you would expect given it is the Crown Plaza ie very clean, comfortably furnished and well maintained. My room overlooked the mountain which was great, it was quiet and the room service and quality of the meals was very good. However, the gym could do with some refurbishment and it needs to be serviced more regularly as there were dirty towels left around the equipment.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the mountain range.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
CF-AKLLT, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alice Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Dear San_Moon,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the hotel recently. I note from your feedback that you may have visited prior to our recent conversion to DoubleTree by HIlton Alice Springs.

It is wonderful to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your time at the hotel and I appreciate your feedback regarding the fitness centre. We are currently scheduling a soft refurbishment in this area.

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again shortly.

Kind regards,