“Run by the rules... No extras, little service”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alice Springs
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Alice Springs
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 November 2013

If you are coming to Alice for leisure - or as a hub for your trip to Ayers Rock, this is not the hotel you want to book. It's located far from the town centre. Do not expect to have your room until after 15.00 hrs., which is the official release time. We arrived at 09.00 on a morning flight and would have appreciated having access to a room at lunch time. The lobby was empty, the car park was empty and the restaurant was empty. But availability was declared at 15.00 hrs. A call at midday to hear about the possibility to access the room earlier did not change the policy. So, no swimming pool, no room, in fact no hospitality. There is no free internet and not breakfast included in room rates. So if you look for proximity to the town centre, good service, help and friendliness - look elsewhere. You do not want to stay at the Double Tree by Hilton (ha, ha...) in Alice Springs. Sad but true.

Room Tip: Looking for help, friendliness and service - and a hotel closer to down town. Look elsewhere.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
CF-ASPDA, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alice Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear 360degreetraveller,

Thanks for taking some time to leave a review. I am very sorry you were not able to receive an early check-in. We do try hard to accommodate guests who arrive early whenever we can. However due to large conferences or groups arriving or departing on any given day, we are sometimes not able to fill those early check-in requests. It can occasionally seem as though the hotel is nearly empty even when we are at high capacity, due to the many day activities in the region.

Still, I am sorry that this put a damper on your stay. We want our guests to receive a warm welcome and have a comfortable stay. I do hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back where we are able to extend to you the high level of service we strive to offer all of our guests.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alice Springs

Reviewed 4 November 2013

This hotel had fantastic service, the staff were great. The pool area is a bit tired and need in of a major renovation. The restaurant is absolutely fantastic, overall an enjoyable experience. The beds were great to sleep in, I felt very rested.

Dear Sherree M,

Thank you for taking a few moments to leave a review about your stay. I am delighted that you found the team and service to be outstanding, and that you were comfortable during your stay! We currently have some upgrades and refurbishments going on in our pool area, most notably our pool bar that we expect to be open very soon. I do hope you will have a chance to visit us again and see what new things we have on offer.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 2 November 2013

I stayed here when the hotel was still Crowne Plaza. I found the entrance and lobby very nice and was happy there were 2 restaurants within the hotel. The courtyard and pool are lovely and inviting but I didn't like the look of the rooms in separate buildings, but no big deal, the rooms are very nice and clean, plenty of amenities. I used the pool (there is a nice resident peacock which is kinda cool) and pool chairs and the spa one night. I noticed the spa felt kind of cool, not very hot. Staff were helpful and assisted me with the bike hire, which was a little expensive, but what can you expect from Australia. On that note, if you dont have a car and dont want to bike, I would pick a hotel closer to town as it's a looooong walk and not safe to walk around Alice Springs after dark. All in all, a very nice hotel and I would definitely recommend and stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ebech
CF-ASPDA, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alice Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Ebech,

Thanks for your review! I am very happy that you felt comfortable and well looked after during your stay. It seems like you really had a chance to make the most of your stay, not only with us but in Alice and the region as well. We will be very happy to welcome you back if your travels bring you back this way in the future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 1 November 2013

As a solo business traveler I felt safe at all times at the hotel, the staff were very friendly. The cookie received on check in is a lovely treat and so is checking out the resident peacock. The rooms feel like the could do with an update but they are clean. The food in the restaurant and at the breakfast bar is cooked really well.

Dear Ruth S,

Thanks for taking a moment to leave a review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us. Your safety, comfort, and well-being is our top priority. And, we agree that the cookie does add that delicious touch of home after a hard day of traveling. We do have some refurbishments underway, I hope you will have a chance to visit again in the future to see what we've been up to!

Your Sincerely,

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Recently under management of Hilton, name changed. Paid for room advertised as view of pool and garden - in reality, allocated a room with a view of nothing but a brown brick wall. Beds hard, cheap mattresses. Tired furniture, in need of refurbishment, not just a name change.

1  Thank seekingMevlevi

Dear Seekingmasnavi,

Thanks for taking the time to leave some feedback. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the view from your room. We do have some upgrades and refurbishments currently under way, with lots more planned for the future. I do hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back and make it a better experience for you.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in Oct 2013. The room was pleasant and roomy, if a little dated, particularly the bathroom. It was quiet enough but could hear doors slamming and trolleys in the corridor. The phone in the room had incorrect numbers on it, and the in-room guide had a lot of outdated information.The pool area is definitley in need of maintenance with loose tiles evident. The spa pool was out of order, as was the sauna. The staff were friendly and very helpful and professional but with only 2 people on the front desk, and no concierge, there was usually a wait for service. The breakfast buffet was good, and Hanumans restaurant is outstanding. The hotel bar had no draft beer and all drinks are expensive. Plenty of free parking which is good. Be aware that the hotel is some distance from the town centre, with a marginal taxi service - when we arrived there were people waiting for 30 min or more for a cab. Walking is quicker - but pretty tiring when it is 38 degrees. We had a car so not a problem for us.
A lot of negative stuff there but despite that we enjoyed our stay. The hotel was adequate for our needs, it just needs some money spent.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
CF-ASPDA, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alice Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear ShaneC60,

Thanks for taking some time to leave a review here on TripAdvisor. I am happy that, overall, you enjoyed your stay with us. We are currently in the last phases of re-opening our pool bar and giving the outside a bit of a face-lift. If your travels bring you back this way, it would be great for you to stop in and check out the upgrades!

Thanks again, and please know that your concerns have been followed up.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I had high hopes for this hotel, which were very quickly dashed. First of all, the hotel is located on the outskirts of town--although it is within walking distance of the casino, if that is your thing, it is a $10-11 cab ride to get to the town center, which is quite inconvenient. I knew I was in trouble when I arrived at the hotel and was told I had a "garden-view" hotel room, only to find that my room overlooked a patch of red dirt with some struggling patches of grass. The room at first seemed mostly clean, although there was a urine stain on the toilet seat that was a bit surprising to see in a DoubleTree hotel. The room and bed were comfortable. The really horrific experience of my two night stay came on my day of departure. I woke up and noticed small ants crawling on the desk and along one wall (probably about 6 of them). I was a little grossed out, but still left to go have breakfast. By the time I came back, I found DOZENS of ants crawling along EVERY wall of the room--it looked like an ant hill had exploded. Before people object, I should mention that I had absolutely no food or drinks whatsoever in the room. I quickly packed up my bags (praying that there were no "stowaways") and checked out of the hotel a few hours earlier than planned, reporting this infestation on check out. I have no way of knowing if they dealt with it or not afterward, but I was sufficiently grossed out. I can't recommend this hotel, although I will say the hotel restaurant (Hanuman) is a passable indian/thai restaurant.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank DoctorWHK

Dear DoctorWHK,

Thanks for your review. I am sorry that you experienced some difficulties with ants in your room. Our very dry and remote location in the desert does expose us and the surrounding areas to ants and various other insects. We do have an aggressive pest control program in place which we find generally keeps pests at bay.

Again, we really appreciate the feedback and please be assured it has been investigated by our maintenance team.