“Could do better”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alice Springs
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Alice Springs
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The hotel looks a little tired, and could do with more than just a physical uplift. The staff did try hard, but simple things like the promised cookie, hard to find pool towels and breakfast time overun by tourist bus guests did not endure us to this hotel

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
CF-ASPDA, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alice Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Diane N,

Thanks for leaving a review about your stay. The DoubleTree cookie is a signature here at the hotel and I am very disappointed to hear that you did not receive one. You are right, the small and simple things are often what makes a guest's stay a great one. I hope very much that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and make it right.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

We stayed here recently and were disappointed on four counts:
* No signature chocolate chip cookie on arrival
* We requested a room with King Bed - we were told there were none available. The hotel did not appear full so the conclusion is that not many rooms have king beds - we had two doubles.
* Breakfast - we opted for the A la carte option as were disappointed. The poached eggs were hard and dry and the coffee was undrinkable - it was luke warm
* WiFi was available in rooms but at a cost….it was free in all other Alice Springs hotels.
Having made these points i must say that the room we had was a good size and very clean & comfortable. We had a room with a lovely tranquil view overlooking the swimming pool.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
CF-ASPDA, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alice Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Dear lozzdog,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your experience. I am sorry to hear that you experienced some difficulties during your stay. We are proud of the warm welcome and comforting message that the cookie represents, and I am also very disappointed that this was not extended to you. Please be assured that the items you mentioned have been followed up.

If your travels should bring you back this way, I certainly hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and make things right.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

This hotel is certainly one of the best in Alice Springs. The rooms are comfortable, the grounds are well kept and the pool is very nice - plus the efforts the hotel goes to with regard to environmental sustainability is great. Having Hanuman on site is a great bonus, too.

However, the hotel needs to work out it's relationship with the Doubletree website. I booked the Territorian rate, which said two drinks vouchers were included, but the front desk said that vouchers were not part of the rate. As I type this now, the Doubletree website still advertises drinks vouchers as part of the Territorian rate. It's a brave hotel to get between a Territorian and the promise of a free drink! Sure this is a small point, but it's still annoying. Either the website or the front desk staff need to work out what the rate includes and apply it consistently.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank steve75

Dear Steve75,

Thanks for taking a few moments to leave a review about your stay. I am sorry about the confusion with the territorian rate. I have taken that on board and I am working to make the matter more clear for our guests and team members.

Other than that, I am very glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and we hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Accommodation OK. Pool area very good but no pool towels or shade around the pool. Reservation process sloppy. Wi fi costs $27 per day which is expensive for people wanting to do business and not just check emails once a day. Movie channel wasn't working during our stay. 2.5 kilometre walk into town or a $10 cab fare. Pleasant walk if not too hot. The saving grace is Hannuman's restaurant - fantastic!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Trev G,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review about your stay. It seems there were a few difficulties that caused some problems for you, I am terribly sorry to hear that. We are very close to having some new hardware in place to fix the movie glitches once and for all.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back if your travels bring you this way again.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We had a 2 night stay at the Double Tree by Hilton Alice Springs this week and it was lovely. The reception staff were great and our room was ready by 11am, even though check in is not until 3pm.
The Choc cookies on arrival are a nice touch.
Our room was clean and well maintained, bed was comfortable, the bathroom needs a bit of a refurb as they are starting to look quite dated but was very clean and functional.
The pool was ok, a little small for a 5 star resort but considering we were in the middle of a desert it was definitely adequate.
We had lunch and dinner at the onsite restaurant and it was lovely, we had a very early start for a daytour and we were provided with a boxed breakfast which was delivered to our room at a time we requested which was much more than I expected! We were able to have breakfast at the hotel on our last day and it was great, fresh and a good range of everything!
Overall a very nice hotel!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
CF-ASPDA, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alice Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Candace1978,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your stay, and for your kind words. I am delighted to read that you had a comfortable and relaxing stay with us, and that you so thoroughly enjoyed your experience here in the Red Centre.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back if your travels bring you back to Alice Springs in the future.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

After a long drive from Tennant Creek I was very dissapointed that there was nowhere for me to park (I was towing). This after a number of phone calls earlier in the week telling me that parking is not a problem. That may well be true if you drive a small vehicle. I arrived at 1.00 to be told my room was not ready so I requested a call once I was able to collect the keys - this did not happen. My room was very comfortable and clean and a good size, sleep quality was good until the guests in the room above arrived home - I could still tell you what they had for dinner and I do not like hearing other persons toilets flush. Beware, I had a 200 m long walk to get to my room. The restaurant (Hanumans) was booked out and the bar does not serve any tap beer at all, it is fortunate that the casino is a short stroll away.

Room Tip: Request a top floor room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank BradkHobart
CF-ASPDA, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alice Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear BradkHobart,

Thank you for taking a few moments to leave a review about your stay. We do have ample parking here at the hotel; however, I agree that parking a vehicle with a trailer attached would have been difficult as there are dividers between the parking rows. I apologise that you felt misinformed about the specifications of the carparks. We will certainly make a note to be more specific about this with future queries.

I am sorry that your overall stay was dampered by these difficulties that you experienced. I do hope you will consider giving us an opportunity to welcome you back if your travels should bring you through this way again.

Clinton Farley,

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Hanuman's in an awesome restaurant. The room was lovely, the pool fantastic... unfortunately they've taken away the phone from the pool area to order food and drinks. Be careful of the bed & breakfast rate, it only includes 2 adults, even if 4 of you stay there.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Georgina D,

Thanks for taking a few moments to leave a review about your stay. I am happy that overall your stay was a comfortable and pleasant one. I am sorry to read that you had some difficulties with breakfast rates. I do hope we can make that right for you and welcome you back sometime soon.