Don't get me wrong, this is not an average place to stay, but to say that it is a 5* resort is a stretch. Before I start, I should say that the service from ALL the staff was excellent, really very good.
The hotel was clean, rooms were of a decent size, but the room was certainly not 5 star by any means, 3* at best. The "lock" on the door to our balcony was badly broken and the lift was didn't work properly either, there are at least 6 pillows per double/queen bed, why? Ask for a room on the 2nd/3rd floor if you have the option.
Our primary disappointment was the food, it was very average and priced way too high. The $38 per head breakfast, which excluded a latte ($4.50 extra) was a bit of a joke (give it a miss) and $27 for a burger and chips at lunchtime was not appropriate given the quality of the food which was pretty poor. We ate at Bough House restaurant on the first evening, again very good service but disappointing food, we both had steak which was badly cooked, albeit a good portion size. My recommendation would be to go simple and have a pizza and a beer, the Outback bar was good fun and worth a visit.
One thing not to forget is that you are not here for the hotel, you are here for Uluru and Kata Tjuta, this is a good base to set out from and is a resort. The service is good, the bus to and from the airport/around the resort is slick and well organised. I always object to having to pay for WiFi in the room, but maybe thats just me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In Australia's Red Centre, the five star Sails in the Desert hotel beautifully contrasts Uluru's raw natural beauty with a decidedly luxurious outback holiday experience. Soaring white sails crown Ayers Rock Resort's Sails in the Desert hotel, shading 228 luxury five star rooms and suites. Discover the passion behind Aboriginal art at Sails in the Desert's Mulgara Gallery. Then be lulled into complete relaxation by one of the Red Ochre Spa's package treatments. Sails in the Desert hotel features an expansive gumtree lined heated swimming pool and a diversity of modern dining, bar and lounge options. Choose Sails in the Desert for an outback holiday with a unique style and modern luxury. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Southall Travel, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Sails in the Desert Hotel, Ayers Rock Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sails In The Desert Ayers Rock Hotel Yulara
- Sails In The Desert Hotel, Ayers Rock Resort Australia/Yulara