“Good value - but only during the low season”

Reviewed 6 October 2013

At $140 during the wet season this place offers decent family accommodation. At $280 during the tourist season I would be screaming foul!
We checked in at 4am after a long international flight and found the key no worries. First thing I had to do though was walk to the 24 hour petrol station to buy toilet paper as there was none at all in the apartment. Not the sort of thing you want to do 4am when very tired.
The place was clean enough but I can see why some people do not like it. It was a pain having to always try and find a staff member to ask for things like toilet paper, bin liners, dishwashing liquid etc etc.
The worst thing though was the drunk yobbos staying in other apartments. A group of about 15 (mainly men) took over the pool for the entire 3 day stay. They drank and drank and drank from early morning until late at night. My little kids could only have one swim when there was a lull in their drinking one afternoon for a few hours.
It was a long weekend and no staff at all in reception so nothing could really be done.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MeMock

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed 3 nights at City Gardens in August 2013 and would have been happy to stay longer. Our apartment was on the ground floor at the back and was clean, comfortable, well equipped and quiet. The gardens make very attractive surroundings and the pool was clean and very welcome. The manager and staff were very friendly and helpful. The location makes an excellent base for visiting Darwin, close enough to all city attractions, but in a quiet street.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Good family orientated accommodation. It is close to the city centre without being too close to early morning traffic. The rooms are neat and clean, decor is a little dated but they are upgrading some of the rooms. The children liked the pool and the staff were very friendly and helpful. T

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room and one towards the back
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Everything needed for a short stay in Darwin is here at City Gardens. A pool, a good kitchen and outdoor barbecue, comfortable beds, fans or air con (your choice), free Wifi. It's not luxurious, but it also won't break the budget whilst still being attractive. We had an upstairs unit at the back, away from the gate, which I would definitely ask for. Full marks also to the manager, Tony, for promptly and pleasantly remaking the twin beds in one room into a single bed, as we were two couples travelling together. Other reviewers have commented on the dated decor and mismatched and insufficient crockery. That's all true - but it has a charm of its own and we have stayed there before and would possibly stay again. We'd give it 3.5 stars if they were available.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Haz60
Reviewed 20 July 2013

There's good and bad here.

This place could do with some maintenance. There is no one significant problem but there are signs of neglect or at least not properly inspecting the rooms.

For example, I came across loose tap handles, loose or missing drawer knobs and a loose coat hooks. One faucet was not even secured to the basin. These are all easy to identify and fix.

There are plenty of plants here, befitting the name, but the gardens too could look so much better if they were maintained.

Rubbish bins weren't emptied from the previous guests and there was a used band-aid (sticking plaster for non-Aussies) on the table next to my bed - yuck! While the rest looked OK, I had my doubt how well the rooms were cleaned.

The good news? The location is a short walk away from everything and the front desk staff are friendly and helpful.

Unfortunately, I will look elsewhere when next visiting Darwin.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank J_Traveller_99
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Cheap dated decor, self contained but crappy crockery etc and not enough of it, aircon effective but noisy, not a great location, in all - over priced.
I like the garden, sound proofing is good, which was handy as the people downstairs partied for four days straight. Bed was good, but rooms not serviced daily.
My guess is that the glowing reviews are by the owners and their mates. At current price needs a lot of work.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank lizgordie
CityGardens, Manager at City Gardens Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Hi lizgordie!
Thanks for taking the trouble to write a review about our property! It is important to us to hear what our guests think about the property, both the things we do well, and the areas where we can improve.
You raised a couple of issues about your stay.
Regarding room servicing, it is advertised on all booking sites and our homepage that servicing is done weekly, which is standard for 3.5star self-contained apartments. We are however more than happy to provide extra changes of linen and cleaning for any guest who requests it.
Regarding crockery, I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectations. We try to provide what we think guests will need and use, but cannot meet everybody’s needs. At check-in we actively encourage guests to come to us if they have any needs that are not being met in the room, as it is easy to find extra wine glasses.
I am sorry that you were disturbed by the noise from other guests during your stay. This is difficult to control, since guests often have differing ideas of how to spend a relaxing stay in Darwin. Most guests comment on how quiet and peaceful their stay at City Gardens Apartments was.
Finally, with regard to price, Darwin is a relatively expensive city, but we pride ourselves on offering an alternative that is suited to budget-conscious travellers, especially considering we can accommodate up to six guests in our apartments.
Be assured that I have discussed the issues you raised with our housekeeping staff in an effort to continually improve our service. Please get in contact with me personally if you wish to discuss this further.
Once again thanks for your review.

Tony Waites
Manager

Reviewed 20 April 2013

My wifeand Myself and her father stayed at the city Garden Appartments for four days. The room was of the highest standards, everything we needed was there at our disposal. The young man at the reception was helpful in many ways. I cannot praise him enough, We had a wedding to attend to on the Friday afternoon, and my wifes son phoned us early in the morning asking if he could bring his wife and two small children to our room as the power at the residence they were staying at was to be turned off for about 4 hours. Kepping in mind that it was 35 degrees and they would be without air conditioning. Too hot for such small children. We asked the young man at reception if that would be ok, And he replied that would be fine, I Was very impressed with his helpful attitude, and would recommend City Garden appartments to any traveller looking for accomodation in an inner city location with a very nice price tag. Well done Guys. P.s. It would be very helpful to other guests if the people using the pool amentities could use their manners and put their bottle tops and rubbish in the bins provided

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the pool are quieter due to people coming and going.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Hi WayneHH!
I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay at City Gardens Apartments!
We were more than happy for your family and friends to use the facilities before the wedding, while waiting for the power to be restored at their house. Being a father of young kids myself, I know how valuable it is to keep them happy.

I am also glad that you enjoyed your stay, and found the facilities suitable for your needs.

I look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Darwin. Welcome back!

Once again thanks for your review.

Tony Waites