“I've stayed in worse”

Vibe Hotel Darwin Waterfront
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Darwin
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I stayed for two weeks and found my apartment room to be comfortable and just the right size for an 'away from home' extended stay.
I wouldnt say the room cleaning service was great. Friendly but certainly need to spend more time cleaning. Let me put it this way. I wouldnt be drinking from the glass in the bathroom with out giving it a good thorough clean first. And when i requested a replacement face cloth to be told that there were none because the washing machine broke down just isnt good enough.
I didnt use any of their facilities so I cant comment on those.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Brendan R
Swoodbury, Manager at Vibe Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2012

Dear BrynEngland,

Thank you for your review on Vibe Hotel Darwin Waterfront, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon

Kind regards

Assistant Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,765)

Reviewed 14 January 2012

Nice room, miles of often un-air-conditioned corridors, but no complaints. The associated Curves restaurant is convenient, but has nothing else to recommend it. Try one of the many restaurants on Mitchell Street.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BrynEngland
Swoodbury, Manager at Vibe Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2012

Dear BrynEngland

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon

Kind regards

Reviewed 9 January 2012

I was uncertain what this place would be like due to the extremely mixed reviews off this site and several others but I decided to give it a go as I like to try a different hotel every time I visit Darwin and this was my third trip this year. This was the worst of the three by a country mile.

The reception staff were fine, had australian accents and sorted out my bus trip back to the airport without any issues. Previous reviews about the rooms being 500 meters or so away from the single working lift customers can access into the lobby is correct. This hotel and the Watermark are in the same building built wrapped around a multi storey carpark. It was a fair hike around to my room and I noticed multiple room services trays waiting for collection in the hallways. There were also five laundry carts along the way indicating that the rooms were being cleaned. A little bit confusing since check in time is 1400 and this occurred after 1500. Also I noticed no sign of vacuum cleaners or actual cleaning products near the carts or the staff driving them, only dusting rags.
On checking into my room I realised that the thermostat indicated the temperature was 26 degreees and it was quite humid inside, in fact it had been quite humid in the hallway as well. Further investigation indicated that there were no dehumidifyers in the room, as in previous hotels and the aircon turned off with the power every time you left the room and took the key card with you. There was no sign of aircon at all the very loooong hallway either which would explain the humidity. It would also sadly explain the state of black mould in the bathroom. It was present in most of the tile grouting and had faded to grey in some areas where the staff have obviously tried to bleach it in the past to disguise it.

There is no way in the world you can call a hotel with black mould, no dehumidfiers and temporary aircon in the rooms as four and a half stars. I also found the cleaning staffs half assed attempts at dusting without properly cleaning or vacuuming the rooms disgusting.

This was downright embarrassing and I do not reccommend this pathetic attempt at a hotel to anyone unless you have no other choice. And by that I mean there are no tent sites availble.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank RXH2
Reviewed 5 January 2012

From the moment of check in my brief stay at Vibe was disappointing from start to finish ... Staff were both unfriendly and unhelpful ... Room was appallingly small, quite literally had to climb over one end of the bed to get into the bathroom as there was not enough room to walk past it. Overpriced ... wouldn't stay there again!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Garl8
Swoodbury, Manager at Vibe Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2012

Dear Garl 8,

Thank you for your feedback, I’m disappointed to read that your overall stay was not up to your expectations, please accept my sincerest apologies.

I was most concerned to read of your comments in relation to the size of your room, I do not believe that this is a true reflection of the Vibe Hotel Darwin Waterfront as all of our vibe rooms are of similar size and all have enough room to move around comfortably, The Vibe Hotel Darwin Waterfront has posted pictures of our standard rooms on the trip advisor page.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 4 January 2012

We stayed for the first 3 days of 2012 at the Vibe in Darwin and we all where disappointed with our stay & the service of the staff there.
The front office staff were ok, but never went out of their way for us, it all seemed to hard. The restaurant staff seemed to never be there, every time I went to order a drink I had to wait to find someone, they only seemed like they had 1 staff member on, no one knew how to make a cocktail and everything seemed to take to long to make. Breakfast buffet ran out every morning and dinner seemed to much for them to cope with as both times they forgot our order or made simple mistakes.
We expected alot more from the whole place.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank jack b
Swoodbury, Manager at Vibe Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2012

Dear JackB,

Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback on your recent stay at the Vibe Hotel Darwin Waterfront.

I was disappointed to hear your comments regarding Curve restaurant. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

Please note that we strive to provide a high quality service and standard and it appears that we failed on this occassion. I have passed on your comments with the relevant department concerned so that these occurences may be avoided in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 1 January 2012

I took the family for what we thought would be a relaxing xmas at the vibe darwin.
Instead it was mistake after mistake.
Check in took 25min, they lost our details and blamed us for their mistake.
The long walk to our room was in a mouldy smelling coridor.
The room was ok, small & clean.
Xmas lunch was expensive and we expected alot better, the service from the staff was poor, did not seem like anyone wanted to be there and wanted us to leave so they could enjoy their day. Not good enough for the money we were spending. The hot food was cold and the cold food was warm. The place was a mess and lacked the xmas feeling.
Overall we would not come back to the hotel and will be telling our friends the same.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank arvin s

Dear arvins,

Thank you for your valuable feedback about your stay at the Vibe Hotel Darwin Waterfront.

Please be assured that I will pass on the matters you brought up to my team in order that such inconveniences do not occur in the future.

I hope to get the chance to welcome you back for your next stay in Darwin to show you how high our usual standards are.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 31 December 2011

Had 3 days here after Christmas 2011 and found the hotel to be very good. Had initially booked and then cancelled with a cyclone looming... Rebooked the day we arrived and all was fine!

Staff all friendly and helpful (apart from one lady at the pool bar that came out after standing around for what seemed like 10+ mins and offered no apology and then stuffed up the drink order) especially reception staff who were engaging and helpful.

Rooms were reasonable for the price although not overly large and it took a little while for the air-con to kick in. Had issues with house keeping where we went out around 10 and came back around 2 on the first day and no one had come so when the same happened the second day we rung up and asked for the room to be made up ASAP.

Location is the key and on this fact alone would stay again. Might check out the apartments under the Medina brand (which are in the same building and run by the same company) next time.

Room Tip: The are two elevators (at least) but nobody told us until we found on the second day only 4 doors do...