“Very nice hotel”

Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
sweden
“Very nice hotel”
Reviewed 15 June 2011

This is a nice hotel but expensive. Internet is charged extra and very expensive.
The room is very spacious, clean and modern. Small kitchen is in the room and has basics so that you can make your own breakfast there. However, there are few restaurants near by that offer breakfast. Not central location but on the other hand there are no so many things to see or do in the central Darwin. Kakadu park is very far away, it took us one whole day to go there by buss (very expensive) and to see very little. Not worth the effort or the money. Better to stay in the park and visit it from there.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LolaSweden
pwilmot, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this review, 17 June 2011
Dear LolaSweden,

The team at Vibe Hotel Darwin Waterfront are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our Vibe Hotels in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Sydney
Reviewed 30 May 2011

I arrived at the hotel with a week's booking for a conference for a 1 bed apartment. I was told at the desk that they didn't have them and I would have to take a studio instead. When I said that was not what I had booked, they said that they had tried to call me the day before (they didn't). anyway, after a big argument in front of colleagues, I got my room. but not with a view etc which was what I had booked, and also right near the conference function rooms, so very noisy, a colleague actually turned up having booked weeks prior only to find the hotel full because they had overbooked, and she had to find another hotel- which was poor quality and far away from the convention centre
room was dirty and cleaning was substandard. one 2 nights i had to ask them to clean the room and toilet again.
the service at the front desk was pretty good. they got to know me over time so warmed up
the food at the restaurant for dinner one night was inedible and a comedy of errors- the red wine ordered by the glass actually smelled of faeces- it must have been opened for years. the pavlova with fruit came without fruit!!! the salad was totally wilted. the cooked food at the breakfast buffet was not much better.

they seem to think they can get away with it because they are next to the convention centre. the prices are high compared to other hotels.

Room Tip: ring up on the day to make sure you have one!!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Luv2travelOzzie
pwilmot, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
Dear Luv2travelOzzie

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide me with your feedback. In relation to the points you have raised I have addressed your concerns with both my housekeeping and restaurant teams to improve our overall guest experience.

I would like to thank you providing this feedback and if you would like to discuss this in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2011

Hi,

I booked to stay here for a nights accommodation - in a one bedroom ''PREMIER' apartment which included - 2 cocktails and an umbrella. I had to ask for the the vouchers on arrival for one. Secondly I have no idea where '''premier room'' came from - I had a small, pokey room which had a view of the carpark. The queen bed as suggested was two beds pushed together too - a little unfortable when sharing with someone too.

I would recommend to stay at the Mantra Perdogas - couldn't fault the staff, location and the rooms were three times the size and for nearly half the price.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank holidayer80255103
pwilmot, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this review, 4 May 2011
Dear holidayer80255103

Thankyou for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Medina Grand Darwin Watefront.

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I have now stayed at the Medina on several occassions this year and every trip i have really enjoyed!

On checking in at the hotel I have always been greeted with a warm friendly welcome but on my last visit even more so. On arriving in a taxi a young man opened my door and welcomed me to the hotel he then continued to help me with my bags and we chatted along the way. He was just lovely! I continued to see the young man throughout my stay who always said hello.

I also attended a two day functon at the hotel. The room was one of the nicest I have seen in Darwin for a while. I liked that I could see out to the ocean with plenty of natural light . I also found the staff very helpful and accommodating. Im gluten free and the staff were all to willing to assist . Lunch was on time, fresh and yummy, most of my colleagues all went back for seconds!

Great to see good service can actually be found in Darwin!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Dear TravelGuru058,

The team at Medina Grand Darwin Waterfront are delighted that you enjoyed your recent with us. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Medina Grand Darwin Waterfront in the near future.

Best regards
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2011

Great location at the Darwin Waterfront, a short walk to cafe's pubs and restaurants (Fiddle's Green Bar & Restaurant is great). A short stroll via the sky bridge takes you into the heart of the Darwin CBD.

And now to the hotel itself: if you have booked & paid for a waterfront view, make sure you get a room above the 1st floor which only has glimpses depending on the size of the trees outside and whether there is a strong breeze to move the limbs! The reception staff were great but the female manager on duty couldn't care less if you had paid for a view or not, nor was she interested in any customer service and smiling must not be in her contract! It seems the rooms with views are set aside for guests who book directly with Medina only and the lower floors are for hotel booking companies!

The room needed a good vacuum, and I'm sure the spiders on the ceiling corners enjoyed the view thru the small window as much as we did :o) There is only a a small selection of tv channels and a mere few cable channels! On the plus side, the bathroom was spacious and clean.

I'm afraid I will not be a repeat customer any time soon.

P.S. If you really want to stay in this area, I suggest the Vibe Hotel instead. This is located in the same building and shares the same reception, gym, pool and bar as the Medina. I have seen the Vibe double rooms; besides the decor clour, they seem to be the same as Medina. So save yourself some money and book the Vibe!

Room Tip: Request a room on floor 2 or above.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Spacekadet
Dear Spacekadet,

Thankyou for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Medina Grand Darwin Waterfront.

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback. In relation to the points you have raised I have addressed your concerns with the housekeeping department to improve our overall guest experience.

Melbourne
Reviewed 28 March 2011

We have found the most perfect location in Darwin.
In our opinion The Medina Waterfront is the only place to stay. An easy walk into the CBD or a stroll to the Wharfe cafes. Our modern apartment gave us the of a taste of what its like to live like a local in a very relaxed ambiance.
A tip if you have a car...If arriving late in the day, be aware that there is a chance all car parking spots will be taken, so earlier the better.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gypsy49
Dear gypsy49,

The team at Medina Grand Darwin Waterfront are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback.

Best regards
Port Lincoln, Australia
Reviewed 20 March 2011

The waterfront is so close to the centre of Darwin. Over the sky bridge, and you are in Smith Street. Perfect. We were able to eat in the city to find something we like any night.
We were able to get a super special for the wet season, and it was worth paying a little extra to get the one bedroom apartment with a balcony. Gorgeous view out over the wave pool and Stokes Hill Wharf. The pool and gym came in handy for us, being wet season, we could still exercise whenever we liked.

The only thing that confused us for starters is that Medina and Vibe are actually the same hotel, just sold under different names. So we weren't sure if we were in the right place the first night when we turned up.

We found the staff to be friendly enough, although all we really needed from them were pool towels, so it was easy. However on departure they did try to charge us for items from the mini bar which we did not have. They waived this though once we told them we did not have them. Check the stocks in your room when you arrive to be sure. The cleaners tend not to notice what needs restocking each day. Not too bad though.

We would definitely stay here again. Rooms were clean, and the location superb.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
pwilmot, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
From myself and the team at Medina Grand Darwin Waterfront thank you for your positive feedback and we are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our in the near future.