“Nice new hotel in a good location”

Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
Canberra, Australia
“Nice new hotel in a good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2011

This is quite a nice hotel (attached to the Vibe Hotel). Rooms are large, clean and comfortable. Public areas are fresh and colourful. Bar is relaxed but for some reason they have these very bright buzzing neon lights that come on outside just before the sun goes down, rather spoiling the 'sundowner' experience. It is a bit of a walk to Mitchell Street (make sure you use the outdoor lifet and don't try to walk up the hill), but taxis are fast to arrive and cheap.

Big plusses are the huge wave pool out the front which affords quite a unique view from the room, and the famous Darwin Wharf with its many eateries a short walk away.

There is no free internet, which is irritating.

Staff are variable - most are helpful, friendly and chatty (as you come to expect in the Top End!), but a couple could do with some charm lessons.

All that said, it's better than the somewhat stuffy Crowne Plaza where I stayed last time I was in Darwin. I would stay here again.

Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
pwilmot, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this review, 17 July 2011
Dear scotthumphries,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Medina Grand Darwin Waterfront

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback. It has been a pleasure to read you enjoyed your experience with us. In relation to the points you have raised I have addressed your concerns with my frront office team to improve our overall guest experience.

I would like to thank you providing this feedback and if you would like to discuss this in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Kind r egards
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

Stayed at the medina for two nights on our way to Bali for our honeymoon. Great stay, no problems, beautiful view out our window to the waterfront, very clean room,bedding & towels, EXCELLENT service at front desk especially Simon who was extremely friendly and helpful also a young woman who was getting married and she to was lovely & helpful with anything we needed. Recommend staying here as its a nice location in Darwin,great rooms and value for money.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alannah7511
pwilmot, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this review, 23 June 2011
Dear Alannah7511,

It has been a pleaseure to read that two of my team members have made your stay so pleasant.
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

southampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2011

Stayed in June having not been able to book usual preference - Crown Plaza.

Actually think turned out a blessing - much better location on the Waterfront overlooking wave lagoon, convention centre and beach with small number of restaurants and coffe bars on wharfs.

Good size well furnished rooms, views over area, friendly welcoming staff, bar and small restaurant very good.

Overall an excellent choice and way better than Darwins average.
Recommended.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Dear nichetraveller.

The team at Medina Grand Darwin Waterfront are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards
sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2011

This is a nice hotel but expensive. Internet is charged extra and very expensive.
The room is very spacious, clean and modern. Small kitchen is in the room and has basics so that you can make your own breakfast there. However, there are few restaurants near by that offer breakfast. Not central location but on the other hand there are no so many things to see or do in the central Darwin. Kakadu park is very far away, it took us one whole day to go there by buss (very expensive) and to see very little. Not worth the effort or the money. Better to stay in the park and visit it from there.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LolaSweden
pwilmot, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this review, 17 June 2011
Dear LolaSweden,

The team at Vibe Hotel Darwin Waterfront are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our Vibe Hotels in the near future.

Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

I arrived at the hotel with a week's booking for a conference for a 1 bed apartment. I was told at the desk that they didn't have them and I would have to take a studio instead. When I said that was not what I had booked, they said that they had tried to call me the day before (they didn't). anyway, after a big argument in front of colleagues, I got my room. but not with a view etc which was what I had booked, and also right near the conference function rooms, so very noisy, a colleague actually turned up having booked weeks prior only to find the hotel full because they had overbooked, and she had to find another hotel- which was poor quality and far away from the convention centre
room was dirty and cleaning was substandard. one 2 nights i had to ask them to clean the room and toilet again.
the service at the front desk was pretty good. they got to know me over time so warmed up
the food at the restaurant for dinner one night was inedible and a comedy of errors- the red wine ordered by the glass actually smelled of faeces- it must have been opened for years. the pavlova with fruit came without fruit!!! the salad was totally wilted. the cooked food at the breakfast buffet was not much better.

they seem to think they can get away with it because they are next to the convention centre. the prices are high compared to other hotels.

Room Tip: ring up on the day to make sure you have one!!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Luv2travelOzzie
pwilmot, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
Dear Luv2travelOzzie

Thankyou for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Medina Grand Darwin Waterfront

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide me with your feedback. In relation to the points you have raised I have addressed your concerns with both my housekeeping and restaurant teams to improve our overall guest experience.

Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2011

Hi,

I booked to stay here for a nights accommodation - in a one bedroom ''PREMIER' apartment which included - 2 cocktails and an umbrella. I had to ask for the the vouchers on arrival for one. Secondly I have no idea where '''premier room'' came from - I had a small, pokey room which had a view of the carpark. The queen bed as suggested was two beds pushed together too - a little unfortable when sharing with someone too.

I would recommend to stay at the Mantra Perdogas - couldn't fault the staff, location and the rooms were three times the size and for nearly half the price.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank holidayer80255103
pwilmot, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this review, 4 May 2011
Dear holidayer80255103

Thankyou for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Medina Grand Darwin Watefront.

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2011

I have now stayed at the Medina on several occassions this year and every trip i have really enjoyed!

On checking in at the hotel I have always been greeted with a warm friendly welcome but on my last visit even more so. On arriving in a taxi a young man opened my door and welcomed me to the hotel he then continued to help me with my bags and we chatted along the way. He was just lovely! I continued to see the young man throughout my stay who always said hello.

I also attended a two day functon at the hotel. The room was one of the nicest I have seen in Darwin for a while. I liked that I could see out to the ocean with plenty of natural light . I also found the staff very helpful and accommodating. Im gluten free and the staff were all to willing to assist . Lunch was on time, fresh and yummy, most of my colleagues all went back for seconds!

Great to see good service can actually be found in Darwin!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Dear TravelGuru058,

The team at Medina Grand Darwin Waterfront are delighted that you enjoyed your recent with us. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Medina Grand Darwin Waterfront in the near future.

Best regards