“Poor attitude and service made for a negative atmosphere ”

Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Darwin
Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

Last time we were in Darwin we stayed at what is now the Hilton. I was shocked at the time that it was rate number 1 on TripAdvisor and was determined to stay somewhere better this time. Hubby booked Adina partly based on the location, partly on some decent recommendations. What a let down!

The positives were the location (right near the wharves with restaurants, the wave pool and striking distance from the centre of town) and the size of the room and balcony.

That's pretty much it. The negatives - poor front desk service is the standout for me. Staff members were rude, dismissive and making it quite clear that every question was annoying and wasting their time. An example would be when we asked housekeeping to return in 10 mins as we had yet to vacate the room for a day out in Darwin. When we walked past reception we asked could they kindly let housekeeping know we had left and we're rudely and abruptly informed if we told housekeeping then that was enough, no need for them to do the same. We returned to our room late afternoon and what do you know, it had not been cleaned.

I have a number of similar stories, all of which made it less and less pleasant to interact with reception /concierge - pretty poor for a hotel. We won't be staying again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank thebondipantry
Ralph D, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Zanaida,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to read that your stay was not up to your expectations and I sincerely apologise for this.

I have shared your feedback with our front desk team so we can learn from this and improve our service delivery by ensuring every guest request is logged and followed up promptly. I encourage you to contact me directly at the hotel or email me at rdsouza@toga.com.au as I would love to look after you the next time you visit Darwin.

I wish you a joyful holiday season and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotels in the near future.

Assistant Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,338)

Reviewed 23 December 2013

My wife and I had her staff Christmas party which happened to be a Darwin harbour cruise. I was in the area the day previous when I thought of checking out what was there in the area as I intended to take my wife out for dinner after the cruise. Was I surprised to discover your establishment. I was sold on the idea of staying the day and night of the cruise by Manager Ralph D'souza and making the day even more special. It made a very busy day so comfortably easy as we dropped our daughter for her dance performance in the city, checked in at 1400 by a friendly and professional lovely lady named Barbara and more than stretched our legs once in the room. A great view, very well appointed apartment, relaxing facilities and special touches. It was a great day and night and were sorry to leave. Will definitely be back but this time with our kids! Thank you and well done!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view!...of Darwin Harbour!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Peter D

Dear Peter,

Greetings from Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.

It is our earnest endeavour to ensure that our guests enjoy a memorable experience and I am delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay with us. I will share your comments with my team and Barbara it particular for whom this will be very motivating.

Thank you very much for your kind words Peter. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotels in the near future.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

We stay in the hotel often is a one bedroom appartment as we have kids that need there space. We were there when the cyclone was coming and we kept extending our stay so Thankyou for your patience. We were lucky this time but if you don't get a parking swip card it can be a real pain and this has bee an ongoing issue since you opened so hope you sort it out soon. Myself and a lot of other people in Katherine are Accor advantage members and would be good to see the Adina come on board with this. Anyway thanks for a nice stay we will be back well the family as my wife has been there for the last 2 weeks with work so see you soon. Mr Stubbs

Room Tip: Appartment if you want more room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank zuesy
Ralph D, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Mr Stubbs,

The team at Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback.

Although we currently do not have a loyalty program, we do offer frequent flyer points for Qantas & Virgin Australia. We have also have recently bought extra car park passes to accommodate busy periods.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed here with a group of friends for 2 nights. The location on the waterfront is great with many bars and restaurants within easy walking distance. The rooms are well appointed for this class of hotel and the cleanliness level was very good. All the staff I came into contact with were helpful and friendly.

My room was a standard room and aside from the expected bed and couch it also had a large dining table with chairs plus a kitchenette with large fridge and plenty of kitchen utensils, crockert, cutlery etc. It would be ideal for a family with children.

I am a heavy sleeper and not much normally wakes me up but even I heard the passing traffic in the corridors, doors shutting etc.

I was staying on level 1 and there are a number of function rooms on the floor and this was my biggest issue with this hotel. On one night I returned to the hotel around 11:30pm and a function was in full swing and some of the attendees had spread out in the corridors away from the function rooms which are located near the lifts. This annoyed me as it didn't feel like hotel guests were given real privacy and again the noise just added to the regular corridor traffic.

Function rooms and guest rooms should be on different floors in my opinon.

Room Tip: Get a room above level 1.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank WestAussie08
Ralph D, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear WestAussie08,

The team at Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I'm disappointed to read that you were disturbed by an evening function and will share your feedback with my team. I will also add to your profile that you would prefer a room on one of our higher floors.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

I stayed during the week. And the staff were very good right from the phone call to book. And helpful when my baggage had been lost by the airline.

Great location with Precinct and Fiddlers both doing great food.
Nice view of the wharf and wave pool.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank damocyrus
Ralph D, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Deatr damocyrus,

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Over the years I have stayed in a lot of hotels within Darwin. Without a doubt the Adina/Vibe Waterfront Hotel is far superior in both service and facilities, it was a pleasure to stay there.

The Premier Guest Room was spacious and very tastefully decorated with a fabulous outlook onto Darwin’s Waterfront, which had the wave pool, recreational lagoon, various pubs and eateries. Curve Restaurant offered exceptional value and quality on food and beverage from breakfast through to dinner.

From my initial contact with the reservations team, front office reception and Curve restaurant staff nothing was too much trouble and all my requests were carried out effortlessly.

The staff’s professionalism was reflective in their attitude towards the guests. Great to stay in a place that understands what hospitality stands for. The Toga Group should be proud to acknowledge the performance and efforts of the individual employees who represent their company through this hotel.

I am looking forward to returning in the near future to enjoy another great experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank james a
Ralph D, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear james a,

Greetings from Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront.

It is our earnest endeavour to ensure that our guests enjoy a memorable experience and I am delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay with us. Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team.

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotels in the near future.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We caught the red-eye (2am) flight from Melbourne and checked in around 5am local time. The front desk staff were helpful, polite, and most importantly - quick!

Our room (a one bedroom apartment) was spacious and nicely decorated, as well as nicely equipped with all of the essentials (milk/tea/coffee/sugar, soap/shampoo/conditioner/shower cap, laundry powder/dishwashing tablets) and had a washer, dryer, dishwasher and microwave to do all of those home-away-from-home chores that we require on holidays.

The community 'wave pool' is right outside the doors, along with many delicious restaurants, eateries and bars. A few blocks walk to the CBD and onsite parking just outside. Taxi's were quick to respond (only to/from the airport really needed) and the onsite staff in both the hotel and the restaurant were great.

The buffet has a nice selection and you have indoor and lovely outdoor seating to choose from.

We will definitely stay there again on our next trip to Darwin!

Room Tip: Waterfront is nice, but all rooms are nicely located.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dom R
Ralph D, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

Dear DomiDrakcir,