Paravista Motel
Oaks Elan Darwin(Darwin)(Great Value!)
US$145
Mantra Pandanas(Darwin)(Great Value!)
US$192
US$148
US$153
Quality Hotel Darwin Airport(Darwin)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$105
H Hotel(Darwin)(Great Value!)
US$145
US$123
  • Restaurant
Mantra on the Esplanade(Darwin)(Great Value!)
US$187
US$170
  • Restaurant
Vibe Hotel Darwin Waterfront(Darwin)(Great Value!)
US$156
US$126
US$164
US$153
Priceline
  • Pool
All reviewsparap marketsmindil beachclean poolshort walkbar fridgebus stopvisit darwinground floortea coffeefirst floorhire carcomfortable staycentral darwinaccommodationbalconytvbbq
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 August 2013

In a good local quiet area but within walking distance of several eateries and various shops. Clean, spacious room. Good value. Friendly and helpful staff. A few minutes drive from the airport and city centre.

• Stayed: August 2013
6  Thank mike c
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My partner and I, along with another couple stayed here for two nights in August 2013. Excellent value, very clean, friendly, everything you need. Room were spacious, cool, very clean. Located close to the coast. Would recommend to anyone.

Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank Keylimelimepie
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I recently stayed here - firstly for one night on my way to Broome and then a further three nights on my way back. Yes, this motel is rather dated, but could find no fault in the standard of my room. Staff were very friendly - in fact went out of their way to help in many ways. Public transport was very close, a good shopping centre within a short walking distance and I would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank magichappens48
Reviewed 24 August 2013

A bit of background: I rode my bicycle 8,000km from Adelaide to Darwin and I stayed in some pretty grungy places - and a few nice ones - including camping in a tent, bush/guerrilla camping, pub rooms, pub cabins, motels, and so on). My wife booked this hotel when she rendezvous-ed with me before we flew back to home to Canada.

The Paravista is a motel that is >30 years old and doesn't seem to have had any major infrastructure upgrades since then. Having said that, it is well-kept and clean. We stayed on the 3rd floor in rooms 17 and 18, at two different times. We did encounter ants but that is definitely a pretty common for Australia, so no big deal for me (don't leave food out). The Paravista is just off Stuart Highway in a quiet neighbourhood about 3km from Darwin center (Mitchell St. area). On my last 2 days in Darwin, when I had time to kill waiting for a flight home, I actually walked from downtown to the Paravista. You can also take the bus. It's reasonably close to Mindl Beach and Museum of the NT (definitely both are very walk-able). Most people would probably be well-advised to have a car, though, when taking into consideration how much they have paid just to get to Darwin, i.e., time is money.

Our rooms included: TV (flat screen), a/c, ceiling fan, free wi-fi, fridge, tea/coffee, kettle, glasses, bowls/plates/utensils and a balcony. There is a pool, full kitchen, laundry ($2 washer/dryer) and apparently a BBQ (we didn't use). We did not see a phone nor hairdryer. In fact, wireline phones are very rare these days and I did not see one in in ANY paid room of my 4 months of travelling Australia.

There is basic local shopping available in less than a 10 minute walk, including a newsagent, a high-end grocery store ("Fine Foods"), a great coffee house, and various restaurants (we didn't do the restaurants there, though). Be sure not to miss the great local market on Saturdays from 7:30am to 1pm. I recognized some of the Thuirsday night Mindl Beach vendors at the Saturday Market, too.

We spent 5 nights in the Paravista before doing a week-long tour of Kakadu National Park and then another night after the Kakadu tour, just before flying back home to Canada.

I've saved the best for last: the customer service is second to none at the Paravista. Nelson and Tenielle are the two employees I dealt with and both were helpful and friendly. However, Nelson is the person I dealt with mostly and he went out of his way to accommodate me in the following ways:
- called airport shuttle bus for info and booking on my behalf
- asked and called around to find flowers for me to buy for my wife who I hadn't seen for > 3 months (he found a place nearby)
- made all the usual touristy suggestions
- made suggestions on where to buy supplies to box my bicycle for the flight
- gave a great room rate on our return visit for our last night before flying home
- graciously stored our luggage and boxed bike for a week while we toured Kakadu by rental car
- graciously extended check-out time to accommodate our late flight
- printed out my eTicket for my flight (need paper one for international flights)
- and various other 'little' but important things

So, I gave 3 points out of 5 for the facilities and 1 point for the awesome customer service. I'd give it a 1/2 point for good value but can't do that on trip advisor. I can't ethically give it 5/5. Bottom line: unless you're fabulously wealthy and can afford a $400/night room, I think you would find exceptional value in this motel. Darwin is now the most expensive place to buy a house in Australia, so this is not a cheap city to visit. I would definitely return the Paravista.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank UNIVAC
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Hotel situated half way between Airport and Darwin cbd, and plaque in entrance says opened mid 70's and it looks like it ! Decor hasnt changed a bit from those days so dont expect anything flash. In saying that the room was a good size with onsuite tv airconditioning etc. Located near shopping small shopping centre. Bed was queen size though a bit soft and the units very quiet...it's just the neighbour isnt inviting i.e. mainly residential/light industry and some of the shops drab. Biggest drawback is distance from Darwin proper requiring a car or use of public transport....but if yr budget is stretched or looking for an overnight stay prior to doing the national parks it's ideal.

Room Tip: Our room was situated near reception so had some passing traffic outside out windows, though not much otherwise hotel was very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple