“Good value,clean accommodation in nice Darwin suburban”
Review of Paravista Motel

Paravista Motel
Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Darwin
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed at the Paravista for a total of 3 nights in early October.The main reasons I chose the hotel were that they would keep my bag in storage for 4 days while I went on a tour, their prices were within my budget while most of the other hotels in Darwin were too expensive,and,a huge plus, they have free wifi in their rooms; most of the other hotels in Darwin charge for use of the internet! I was very happy with the room- spacious,nice decor,a balcony,good fan and air conditioning, basic but clean en suite shower room&toilet,tea and coffee facilities,a big fridge,and the wifi worked very well! The hotel reception is closed after 7pm but there is an out of hours phone number,and the hotel owners live next door. I got prompt and helpful responses from the owner by text when I was going to be returning from my tour after 7pm and needed to check back in. The only tiny criticism regarding service was that I left my room late morning one day and put a sign on my door asking for the room to be cleaned,but it did not get cleaned. I was travelling alone and did not have a car. The number 10 bus goes into town and the bus stop is about a 3 min walk from the hotel. The bus runs until about 10pm at night,later on fri&sats. I used a taxi to return from Cullen bay to the hotel and it wasn't too expensive. I heard that sometimes it can be difficult to get taxis in Darwin but this one was prompt,though it wasn't a weekend evening. Coming from Darwin city centre, the bus stop is again about 2-3 min walk from the hotel along a quiet and slightly dark street. I was comfortable with returning by bus after dark but did not stay out that late. I quite liked seeing a more residential and quieter area of Darwin,and the Paravista is handy for walking to the NT museum and the ski club, which I walked to in about 15 mins. I think it is also near Mindl beach and the botanic gardens, and it is about 5 min walk from Parap village shops,where the Sunday market is held.The hotel pool seemed clean and was very refreshing in the heat. There is also a BBQ by the pool for communal use. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it especially for groups of friends or couples;a car is not really necessary provided you don't mind using buses or taxi or walking!

• Stayed: October 2013
10  Thank Titian30

Reviewed 11 October 2013

A hotel built in the 1970s now in need of refurnishment and possibly a lift to the third floor. Comfortable, with everything you need in a stopover but out of the way - the only close attraction is the Parap markets on saturdays... otherwise you need a car.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Pittosporum
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I was staying at the paravista the weekend of the wedding party from the 27th till the 30th of sept. and I witnessed first hand the disgusting drunken behaviour of the ( wedding party ) guests and I to was one of the people who rang the managers to complain about the noise and as far as I am concerned the managers should have rang the police and had you all arrested and then thrown the lot of you out, but thankfully this is the only time that I have had a bad experience staying at this motel (no fault of the managers ) I have stay here more than ten different occasions and I can never say anything bad about the place, it is still my home away from home

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank pla p
Reviewed 1 October 2013

An outdated property in desperate need of a refurbishment and with a manager in need of a new attitude.

We stayed there as a group attending a wedding, many of us visiting from overseas and interstate. We were lucky to have received a group rate however upon seeing the condition of the property and room I was quick to realise they were grossly overcharging. The manager was hostile, swearing on different occasions to some of the guests (including myself) and even stormed into one of the rooms of our friends. Other guests who had a young child was told that the property doesn't usually accommodate children. Is that even legal?! Completely unacceptable.

The only redeeming features is that it is a great location a few minutes walk to Parap Village Markets in a quiet street and a short walk to the Mindil Beach Markets, Waterski Club, and a nice bike ride to the Museum and Art Gallery of NT/ Pee Wee's at the Point/ Darwin Waterfront.
It also has a quiet pool area (that I don't think was cleaned during our 5 nights there).

I stayed in the 3 bedroom house which is at the front of the property, behind the pool. It was a little dirty (needed a good vacuum and mop), but the rooms were ample sized so was the dining/loungeroom. Bathroom and kitchen definitely need an update! Quite basic and 1970's.

Room Tip: 3 bedroom house for groups is accommodating but is located closest to the street and in need of a re...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CrisSCIndo
DenTT, Manager at Paravista Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Thank you chica cc for your review, what you forgot to mention is that your group of almost 30 members !! were having a very loud party in the pool area until after 1 am and six out of eight of our neighbours rang and complained about the noise. What you also forgot to mention was that the reason we "stormed" into your room was because they had music blearing and were being extremely loud at all hours of the morning. The next day I had to apologise to the other ( non wedding related ) guest for your groups disgusting behaviour from the night before and at no time did you mention the damage you and the group did to our motel rooms, linen,our pool and the endless amount of rubbish left behind. Not to mention the lack of remorse from you or your group the following day. You think that we need a new attitude, We would say the same for you.
Needless to say, you or your group are not welcome back again.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Located in a quiet suburban street only one street back from the main road in Parap which is close to the city. The motel itself is pre cyclone, so has a nice 1970's retro charm which I love, if ultra slick and ultra modern is your thing this is not your place! The room was very clean with a nice balcony and a good comfortable bed and good wardrobe space. The owners are very helpful and friendly. The Paravista represents fantastic value and i would not hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Note their are stairs only so only take a higher floor room if you are able to do without a lift.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
8  Thank gabysue
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Its oldish and had very little or no updating since it was built. Being on four floors and with no lift/elevator is not good although the super receptionist carried our two heavy cases up to room 18 as if they were empty!

Its a good way out from Darwin CBD so you really need a car (I guess not unreasonable since it is called a motel!! However, we didn't have one for the first couple of days we stayed and although there are some shops and eating places in Parap, which is only 10-15 minutes walk away, the streets are very quiet and dark at night and we didn't feel totally comfortable - probably more in our imagination than reality.

There is a communal kitchen but it is really grim with a good number of non-functioning items. The bedroom was fine - comfortable bed and good shower bathroom. The heat pump was a little noisy.

The walls are thin and we heard every word of the marital row occuring in the next room. Not very comfortable.

On balance, the cost and general decorative standard would mean we would look elsewhere next time

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Livingwhilewecan
Reviewed 28 August 2013

In a good local quiet area but within walking distance of several eateries and various shops. Clean, spacious room. Good value. Friendly and helpful staff. A few minutes drive from the airport and city centre.

• Stayed: August 2013