“Good Budget stay in Darwin.”
Review of Barramundi Lodge

Barramundi Lodge
Ranked #14 of 17 Darwin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 August 2013

When we come to Darwin we always stay here at Barramundi Lodge as it is close to the city and other things, such as the Markets and Casino. it is budget accomodation but clean and tidy has shared bathrooms.The rooms are air-conditioned and have ceiling fans as well and cooking facilities.
After all when your in Darwin you only need the room for sleeping as you are always out doing something.
Have now stayed here at least 6 times never been a problem highly recomend for the people on a budget.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stayed in this lodge for a one night over the Darwin Cup weekend. This is the busiest weekend of the year and accommodation is very hard to come by. So I ended up at the Barramundi Lodge because everything was fully booked. My experiences are as follows:

Check-in is only possible between 2pm and 6pm. I arrived around 4pm, tired after a long day. No one was present at reception. I had to ring a number. Not a problem at all I thought. I rang the number. No answer. I rang back after 10 minutes or so. Someone answered and promised to be there in 10 minutes. About 45 minutes later someone finally showed up, cigarette hanging out the corner of one mouth and mumbling vague excuses. Not a good start, but I was happy to be shown to my room at that stage. I was given the 'grand tour' of the laundry, the truly appalling shower and toilet facilities and was handed a small carton of milk for the tea & coffee facilities in the room.

Then there's the room (I stayed in room 1).....
The first thing I found when entering was a pair of ladies underwear on the floor. What the?? Kicked it in under one of the five (yes...five!) beds and tried to forget about it. The furniture in the room is homemade. Not a problem, but it's a truly bad state. Cupboard door handles are missing etc. The little hotplates in the kitchenette looked like a fire hazard with blackened tin foil wrapped around the edges. Unfortunately there's no kettle, electric or otherwise. So I guess no coffee or tea after all. Opening the fridge I found an array of little milk cartons. I guess previous guests ran into the same issue, or simply came to the same conclusion about the hotplates.
One thing to note is that the windows do not have glass planes, but rather consist of a mesh and glass venetians/blinds. Normally I wouldn't mind, but this does make the rooms pretty noisy. You are subjected to quite a bit of traffic noise and noises from neighbouring rooms (TV, phone calls etc).

And last but not least, there are the shared toilet and shower facilities (male and female are separate). These are truly poor and VERY small. The one wash basin is right next to the entry door. So whilst brushing my teeth I was in a constant state of fear that I would get hit by the door in the face. The water pressure in the shower was non-existent.

So all in all not a pleasant stay and not very good value for money (I paid $175 for one night), certainly not as an individual, and not even as a couple. I have stayed in backpackers with MUCH better facilities and more comfort. If you are looking for budget accommodation and don't mind shared bathroom facilities, I suggest you save yourself some money and look at the various hostels in Darwin (they have private doubles). If you are looking for more comfort and a good location, spend another $60 to $80 per night and find yourself a proper hotel.

So who is this accommodation for? Probably families on a budget as long as they are willing to put up with the relatively poor state the lodge is in. Personally I'll give this one a miss next time.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank CHTRAV
Barra645, Manager at Barramundi Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Please kindly send a recepit for your stay at the lodge as we did not have any check-ins on the date or either side of the date you have given as a check-in.Also we have security cameras downstairs in reception that show that no-one was waiting in the reception area on the date supplied other than guest already check-in to the lodge.But if you can supply a receipt from the lodge with the date you have claimed to stay i will refund your money for this one nights accom.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

Room (single) was incredibly small and smelt of fish. It wasn't possible to open the window to let in fresh air but it did have an air conditioner. I used the air conditioner to drown out the noise of the traffic and neighbours TV, which was very loud. it was a short walk outside to get to the shared bathroom and kitchen. Close to Mindil markets but really needed a car or taxi to get anywhere else. Worst thing about the stay was there was absolutely nowhere to securely leave your luggage before departure. Staff were very unapologetic about this. Reception was closed most of the time including when I arrived at 2pm on a Saturday - had to phone them on my mobile to get someone to attend so I could check in. Next time I'd pay a little more for the extras you get as standard elsewhere and a better location. I guess this was more comfortable than a bunk bed at a backpackers but for the price I'd say it was pretty poor value.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Darwin is an expensive city to stay in, we were transiting through for 5 days on our way overseas and were looking for the most economical stay possible, Travelling with 3 children is never going to be cheap but this place made it possible. The Family room was small but contained eveything we needed for short stay, double bed and a bunk with a double and a single above.
Bathroom and toilet facilities are shared, so keep this in mind, especially if travelling with kids.
Natalie the manager is a diamond in the rough here, she was so accomodating, provided BBQ utensils for me to cook fish after a fishing charter, a volleyball for the kids to play with in the pool, clean towells everyday, allowed a late checkout to suit our flight times, nothing was too much trouble for her.
The location is great, walking distance to the Mindle Beach Markets and CBD.
We have a 1 night transit on our way home and will be staying there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We just stayed here for one night before heading to Kakadu National Park.

Location was good, walking distance to Botanic Garden, Mindil beach and market. Room was adequate. We chose family room because we need place for 5 persons. Share bathrooms were located in every floor. Our room had small kitchenette, perfect to warm up our takeaway.

Service was excellent. We checked in around 6pm, so we had to call the caretaker, who came straight away. Checked in checked out was super quick.

Overall, it's a pleasant stay for one night.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I am travelling with my partner and of all the places we have stayed we have enjoyed barramundi lodge the most, the staff were friendly and very helpful, the cleaner had the room and bathroom spotless also fresh towels everyday! the manager Natalie was so friendly and welcoming from the start of are stay untill the end, a real star she went above and beond to give us a prefect stay and really made us feel at home! The room itself was everything u need with your own kitchen, plates, knifes, forks, pans everything was there for you which was great compared to hostels we stayed in! A real home away from home feel with a lovely friendly dog! I would recommend barramundi lodge for a relaxing stay very quite great air con and tv in room beds are so comfortable the pool was massive and so clean with a BBQ area 10 min walk to centre of town which was great being able to go have few drinks, it really was prefect for what my partner and I wanted on are travels

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 10 April 2013

At about $100 a night per room (our room slept 4) the Barramundi Lodge offers great value for the budget conscious. Rooms are clean, beds have new mattresses which are very comfortable and there are also basic kitchen items, cook top and microwave in the room.

Ablutions are communal but again clean and tidy. Staff are friendly and helpful. Only down side is if you are a non-smoker. All smokers puff outside their rooms and at times the smell came through the closed door. It also made for an unpleasant trip to and from the bathroom.

Room Tip: No room service or fitness centre but didn't expect accommodation to have any...plenty of walkin...