“Quiet in good location”

Darwin Central Hotel
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Darwin
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Second time we have stayed here. Had a room with 2queen beds for 2 adults and 1 teenager. Plenty of room to use as a base but wouldn't want to spend all day as only 2 seats and small table. Very clean and beds comfortable - nice firm mattresses. Great location right in middle of CBD but still very quiet room, no street noise to speak of. Staff were all friendly and any requests dealt with promptly.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
DCHManager, Guest Relations Manager at Darwin Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Dear Andrea D, Thank you for your review. We are pleased the hotel met your needs during your recent stay. You may have found our studio rooms more suitable for you as a party of 3, and we would recommend this for you if you stay with us again in the future. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

So for the price of $100 a night, I was very impressed by this place. Excellent helpful and friendly staff. All areas very modern and clean. Pool area small but fully functional and very quiet when I was there. Room nice and big - 2 double beds, big tv, fridge, kettle, etc. Shower very powerful and big. Only thing that would make it better would be free or cheaper wifi! Location is perfect - right in the main area, nearby to shops and places to eat. About a 10 minute walk to the waterfront area. 20-30 minute walk to the Mindil beach markets - a must attraction. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear Sarah14387, Thank you for your 5 star review. The team were so pleased to receive your review and hear about your recent stay. We are very happy the hotel exceeded all your needs and expectations. We are very happy to update you on our new WiFi system for only $2 per day unlimited. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

In May, my husband and I stayed here for 2 nights, then a night in Kakadu, then back here for 2 additional nights. The hotel is very centrally located and we were able to walk everywhere in Darwin. The staff was pleasant and stored our luggage for us when we were on the overnight trip to Kakadu. The rooms are decent sized, the shower has plenty of water pressure and the food at the breakfast buffet was good and plentiful. We walked across the street to the outside mall area to use the free internet rather than pay the hotel rates. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear NJG1980, Thank you for your review. We are pleased the hotel met your needs during your recent stay. We are very happy to update you on our new WiFi for just $2 per day unlimited. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Excellent hotel, fast efficient service, we travel in from Jabiru every 2 or 4 weeks, always stay at Darwin Central, love the kingsize bed and big shower space, handy n central location, good pricing, can't recommend too highly as they may put their price up !!

Room Tip: Always add the kingsize bed option for a great nights sleep!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Peter A, Thank you for your 5 star review. The team was so pleased to receive your review and hear the hotel met your needs and expectations during your recent stay. Thanks for sharing your experience and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

After our Coral Princess cruise from Broome to Darwin (highly recommended), we arrived at 9 am to book into Darwin Central Hotel only to be told our booking had been cancelled and the hotel was full. I did receive a phone message the previous day advising I needed to contact the hotel by 6 pm the following day and as we were there at 9 am (well before the 6 pm deadline) I couldn't understand why the booking had been cancelled. After a tense wait of 30 minutes (Darwin accommodation is in big demand) a manager appeared and booked us in! We got the room we originally requested. So why tell us the booking was cancelled and cause us worry? Very odd. Otherwise the stay was very pleasant with a great central location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear qaatalia, Thank you for your review. It is disappointing to hear about your check in experience and apologise the communication issue with your booking. Otherwise, we are very happy you found the hotel met your needs and expectations during your recent stay. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Never before have a been treated so horribly by a hotel.
I made five room bookings. Four days later I received a call advising that the hotel didn't actually have the rooms available. Mind you, this is during the V8's so there are no other hotels available. The rude lady in reservations spoke over me and wouldn't even take a breath to listen to me - her name was Alesandra. I then asked to speak to the manager and was put through to Rachael who was just as rude. The hotel would not accept any responsibility and were very defensive.
My bookings were made over the phone. A rate and room type was given. I then sent through paperwork with payment information. I am confused why it took them four days to call after I had sent the paperwork. I was also told that a trainee was the person who took the bookings over the phone. Yet they still wouldn't take any responsibility.
When Rachael couldn't agree to source another hotel with 5 x rooms available I was put through to the worst of them all - Michelle. Michelle literally screamed in my ear. For a manager I would have thought that she would have some better communication skills. I asked her not to be so aggressive and she hung up on me.
I understand that hotels sometimes overbook and this is fine however it was the service received from all three people that was very worrying. I certainly wont be making any more reservations at this hotel. They need to learn some customer service skills especially since this was 5 x rooms at the rate of $285.00 per room, per night. Not cheap.
Now I am left scrambling trying to find five rooms which is impossible.
Thanks Darwin Central.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Amy S
DCHManager, General Manager at Darwin Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Amy,
Thank you for your review.
It is disappointing that you have chosen to blame the hotel for an error that has occurred and not by the hotel. As we tried to explain to you, we do not have any confirmed bookings for your 5 rooms and you have not been able to provide any confirmation numbers or confirmation in writing from the hotel. The rates quoted are incorrect and do no reference our rates. You have advised that you book with us regularly but we have no record of ever receiving any business from your company. The only notification the hotel has received is charge-back paperwork that has been sent to us. As your company has not been set up with us, no rate contract issued, signed and returned to us as acceptance of our rates, terms and conditions. Additionally, as your company is not registered with us, your company does not have approved credit facilities. We can not accept this paperwork for your bookings and prepayment would have been required. As we tried to ask you yesterday, are you sure you have the right hotel? Unfortunately as you would not allow me to speak or answer any of your questions, you left me with no option but to thank you for your call. The hotel prides itself on offering the best customer service we can and we do understand that on occasions people do make mistakes. If the hotel was at fault we would certainly accept this and resolve the situation. However, the bookings were never made at our hotel and I believe there is a misunderstanding that has occurred.

Michelle Davidson

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed here for two nights before a Kimberley cruise. Had the DCH Escape package (available weekends) which offered an early 12 noon check-in, a late 12 noon check-out, included breakfast and a discounted rate for staying the two nights. Good location, large comfortable room, good amenities, great guest laundry and polite efficient staff.

I doubt whether paying extra for a better room would be worth it as the standard rooms are excellent.

And don't pay the crazy extra charge for the internet as there is free WiFi in the Smith Street Mall, less than 50 metres away. This WiFi is provided by the City of Darwin.

1  Thank BrianWatts

Dear BrianWatts, Thank you for your 5 star review. The team is so pleased you found the hotel met your needs and expectations during your recent stay. We are happy to give you an update on our new WIFi service, available for $2 per day unlimited. Thanks for sharing your experience and we hope to see you again soon.