“Great stay but getting a little tired”
Review of Skycity Darwin

Skycity Darwin
Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
Brisbane, Australia
“Great stay but getting a little tired”
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We have stayed at this hotel on every occasion that we have visited Darwin. The suite room is worth the few extra dollars to have the advantage of two rooms, a bedroom and lounge room. The bathroom is fantastic with a spa bath, shower and two basins and decorated in marble. There is also an extra toilet when you enter the room. The hotel has everything you could ask for, swimming pool, numerous bars and a number of excellent restaurants. Whilst we enjoyed our stay, it is evident that the place is getting a bit tired. The toilets in the Aqua bar used to be first rate but now are showing lots of signs of their age along with the rest of the Casino. The gardens in the centre of the units are also a bit bare and not quite so inviting.

All of this aside, I still love this place. We received a free bottle of bubbly to celebrate New Years Eve and a giant cracker filled with chocolates. When checking in, we also received two complimentary drinks, two coffees and two Keno vouchers. The restaurants are fantastic and there is everything here you need. Cab fare from the Airport is about $20. Less than what Qantas profess on their short video review. Would definitely recommend for a stay, be whether you are a couple, friends or a family.

Room Tip: Breakfast is only $14.95 for buffet style at Sunset Restaurant. (Less if you have an Action card whi...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peterjules
JC8001, Manager at Skycity Darwin, responded to this review, 19 January 2012
Hi Peterjules,

Thanks for taking the time to submit a review, and it’s terrific to hear you’ve have a great experience at SKYCITY.

We’re currently in the process of upgrading the property, from our restaurants to the casino floor and our hotel suites. From the concepts I’ve seen, it’s definitely going to breathe some fresh life into the property – not to mention our luxury new beach resort which is due to open in mid August.

We look forward to seeing you again next time you’re visiting Darwin.

Kind regards,
Jeanette
Hotel Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Indonesian first
Biloxi, Mississippi
Reviewed 10 December 2011

First off...room service boasts 24hr service. Don't call after 10pm or your talking to a ringing phone. The food is sub-par and very expensive. $29 for a 10" pizza and $5 for a fountain soda.
The rooms are ok, I guess, if you like ants. "infested" doesn't cut it.
Just everything about thus place is "HIGH END PRICES" with "MOTEL QUALITY"

• Stayed November 2011
3 Thank degenx1973
JC8001, Manager at Skycity Darwin, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Hi Degenx1973,

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay at SKYCITY, and I’m sorry to hear you weren’t completely satisfied with your experience. We have been investigating the points you raised in your review, and I have personally passed on your comments regarding room service to our Operations Manager.

Due to Darwin’s unique tropical climate, unfortunately insects can be a challenge for all top end hotels, particularly during the wet season. To combat this, all rooms at SKYCITY Darwin are safely fumigated on a quarterly basis to ensure maximum comfort for our guests.

Regards,
Jeanette Collett - Hotel Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Darwin hotels

Katherine
Reviewed 17 November 2011

My husband and I spent our anniversary at Skycity and loved it! From check in from our Wotif booking, which included FREE valet parking and drink vouchers, we were well looked after. We booked in for the degustation at Evoo restaurant, which was outstanding. The Infinity pool over Fannie Bay was to die for, and I particularly liked how there was no tray charge for drinks at the pool, and a sparkling wine was $6.80. I found that to be EXCELLENT value! Thank you for wonderful 5 star service!

Room Tip: Perfect for a romantic holiday in Darwin!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
JC8001, Manager at Skycity Darwin, responded to this review, 27 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I’m pleased you enjoyed dinner in Evoo restaurant and you were able to spend some time relaxing by the pool. Your positive comments about our service have been passed on to our staff. We hope to welcome you back to SKYCITY Darwin in the future.

Ontario
Reviewed 5 November 2011

I stayed in an ocean view room for 4 nights, having chosen the hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews and the fact that it has an infinity pool. I was a bit worried when I first arrived, because the way to one's room is via hallways of concrete that are rather reminiscent of North American underground parking garages. Something about my room also didn't feel up to the level of the hotels I usually stay at. I did initially think I might have made a mistake picking this hotel. But, it definitely grew on me over the next few days. The bed was very comfortable, housekeeping was excellent and my room was clean, the room was quiet at all times, After Eight-like chocolate mints are left on the bed every night, and there was a mini-fridge in the room, which was handy. Staff were pleasant, if not overly helpful, and there's wifi in the lobby. Location-wise, I didn't travel to central Darwin so can't comment on the distance, but the hotel is literally beside the Mindil Beach Market and you can walk out of your room, across the lawn and right onto the beach.

Possible minuses: I don't know if it's worth getting the ocean view room, because a stand of palm trees blocked most of the view from my room. I couldn't get the balcony door to open to get fresh air into the room, I don't know if that's possible. There were tiny little bugs in the sink area of the bathroom sometimes, but they looked harmless.

But the reason I'd go back is the pool. OMG, the pool. Allow me to rhapsodize about the pool... It's big. There's a shallow part, a medium-depth part, and the whole infinity edge is a deep-end lap pool. It's open 24 hours and it was empty or nearly empty every time I visited. Swimming laps, looking out at the sea over the infinity edge while the sun set, is one of my favourite memories of my vacation. The pool is awesome. Overall: will return.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
JC8001, Manager at Skycity Darwin, responded to this review, 27 November 2011
Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience at SKYCITY DARWIN, in particular your comments about the ocean view rooms. Thanks for ‘rhapsodizing’ about our pool, we also think it’s pretty amazing! We do hope you will have the opportunity to return to Darwin and SKYCITY in the future.

Key West, Florida
Reviewed 31 October 2011

If this is the best Darwin has to offer, they need to have a good rethink. Whilst the rooms are comfortable and clean, they look and feel tired and are urgently in need of a refurbishment. The hotel isn't value for money as it stands and whilst we booked an ocean view suite, we got a view of sorts, but of the beach beyond the construction site of the new development. The whole place has the feel of staying in an aging Pokies venue, that is stuck in the 1980's (at best).
Very disappointing accommodation by other 5 star standards. This is more like a basic 3-4 star masquerading as a 5 star.
The only saving grace was the restaurant evoo, excellent food and service, although the chairs on wheels are 'different' - we weren't sure if this was a quirky throw back to the 80's or an innovation to aid the mainly elderly guests get from one part of the room to another.
A relaxing location, away from the main drag of Darwin, but not for those expecting anything other than a comfortable, Clean stay.
Hopefully the new redevelopment due for completion in mid 2012, will provide the five star standards expected of a hotel billed as such.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 5weekTravellor
Rapid City
Reviewed 29 October 2011

This by no streatch of the imagination is a 5 star hotel, as was told to us. The free wifi is a good, but once again a given at most hotels today. The pool was great, the buffet was clean, but bland. You pay $4.50 for coffee and hot coco, but if you walk into the casino there are free offerings of both.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank ksconz
JC8001, Manager at Skycity Darwin, responded to this review, 27 November 2011
Thank you for providing us with your feedback. I am sorry that certain aspects of your stay did not meet with your expectations but I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our beautiful infinity edge swimming pool. I do hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to SKYCITY Darwin sometime in the future.

Brisbane
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We had a comfortable room looking directly out to the beach and therefore a stunning sunset. The reception staff were very welcoming and friendly. My favourite place was the swimming pool - just a quick walk past 3 rooms to stairs straight to the pool. It was just the right temperature and had both a relaxing shallow area plus a few lanes of about 20m distance. It is an infinite pool and after a few laps it was wonderful to hang over the edge and watch the sunset - great for the mind. Food was available in several restaurants but as we had no reservations we were out of luck. We were able to eat from a buffet in the casino. Large selection, yummy fresh seafood and reasonably priced. We also had breakfast here twice. Dinner time was very noisy. Just next to the hotel is the Mindil Beach markets on Sundays and Thursdays - very handy if you're interested.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank LAR60
JC8001, Manager at Skycity Darwin, responded to this review, 5 October 2011
Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at SKYCITY Darwin. I have passed on your positive comments to our reception team. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed our infinity edge swimming pool and our seafood buffet dinner in Sunset Restaurant.
We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Darwin in the future.

Hotel Manager