“A place of spirit with nearly anything backpacker-possible”
Review of Frogshollow

Frogshollow
Ranked #44 of 51 Speciality Lodging in Darwin
Reviewed 7 November 2013

"Anything goes with the Froggy Spirit," John, a resident-worker told me the first of three nights. That is, however, with strict, sensible rules: kitchen and pool times, no glass, no noise after 9 pm. Canned beer is OK and lots in view. "Froggy Spirit" is an atmosphere of helpful mates -- perhaps 70 % of the residents are men, half of whom appear employed and living on the cheap. While others have called attention to less than desired cleanliness, it is backpacker-clean-tidy-neat with everything comfortably (or not) worn, casual. Across from a park the property has that wanted tropical look. A plus, if you have wheels, is limited parking; Darwin is not car friendly. One computer is free to use.

Room Tip: Tell Peter -- who assigns -- what you need. He will do his best.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank RobCope

Reviewed 1 November 2013

We slept in the 6bed dorm..it's probably the cheapest hostel in Darwin, but you still pay 26 dollars for a very dirti, hot and noisy place! The kitchen offers a great number of knives, but only 3 or 4 forks for about a hundred people. Near the swimming pool (dirty as well) there are only two broken chairs, so you cannot stay there to take rest! Not recommended to go

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank marcellino85
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We waited about 2 hours for someone to open the reception to check in.
This place is a waste of money (and time), horrible rooms, bed sheets not clean, noisy place and bed bugs on the mattress.
Definitely a place to avoid!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Maria v
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Horrible rooms, most dirty place I've ever seen. Alcoholics all over all night long. You don't even feel safe ... This is not a place for travelers but for homeless ... Change your cleaning staff and be nice ! The only positive point was the day receptionist.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank gregoryrousset
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Well let’s start with the booking…
I was my first time to come to Australia and my first place to stay so I tried to book in advance by sending an email. I sent three without any response; the fourth one was the finally answered. Since my plane arrived late at night, I had to send another two emails to find out how the late check in it done.

I booked a single room for the first night and a dorm for three other nights. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I entered the single room for which I paid 70 bucks! It was the shabbiest, filthiest and most disgusting I have ever been forced to sleep in and I am traveling for years on a budget through South East Asia. It was tiny, you could hardly get side wards out of the bed, the mattress was old and laid through, the walls stained. It was like in a weird travelers’ movie a la ‘the beach’.

But the dorms are even worse. Dark, hot (aircon is so old, it has nearly no effect) and full of luggage, so it can’t be swept or mopped. The bunk beds have no ladder so you have to jump up. I wondered why they have given me linen since the bed looked made. Till I found out that there were three layers of bed sheets on it. No one took them off!
The kitchen is gross. And roach infested hole. No one ever washed their dishes up, it’s just all stacked up dirty in the sink, if you need something you have to find it and wash it. But there’s not enough cutlery for all, so when it’s breakfast or dinner time you are lucky if you can get what you need. Cups were never available.

The showers are so disgusting you can’t take your thongs off. There is no space to put your stuff down except the floor, but believe me you don’t wanna put your clothes there. Someone was shaving his/ her intimate parts and left the pubes in the soap basket and they were there the whole four days I spent.
Someone spit brown mucus against the mirror and it was there for the four days of my stay either. Several times there was no toilette paper in the toilette.

The ‘guests’ were mainly sleazy, f**ckd up drop-outs, hiding there from reality. This type of people you are afraid of leaving your belongings in the room with. Someone’s laptop was stolen while was having a dip in the pool.
There were loud, drunken people partying in front of the rooms, every night, all night. They smashed glasses and one night even a watermelon in front of my room. Every night were drunken people, who weren’t even staying in my room, coming in, turning the lights on and of, making noise and every night someone had sex, either in my room or in front of it on the floor. On all four nights someone got evicted.

The staff is testy and unfriendly. They have the policy that all fridges are locked up at nine p.m. since apparently there had been a lot of theft. I was sitting next to the fridge when I saw the guy was about to lock it, so I said I just wanna take my six pack out and he didn’t let me! It was not even locked yet!
Now you might think at least it’s a cheap place, but it’s not! Go to the town center and you find nice, clean and tidy hostels, but don’t ever stay in this rat hole and let them spoil your holidays.
I wonder how a place like this can survive and honestly I wonder how it can be legal in a civilized country to let people live in such conditions.
Clearly the worst place I have ever stayed in!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank 256Julian
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I booked a room with Ensuite bathroom. The toilet was black, the shower wasn'tworking properly. The sheets were not clean. The communal areas were extremely dirty. I had chosen it because it wasn't expensive but I would never suggest it to anyone.

Room Tip: I believe all the rooms are dirty
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Cris66Jesi_Italia
Reviewed 6 September 2013

When we arrived it was 2pm (you can check in from then) so for over an hour for someone to come and check us in.
We originally booked a dorm, once we got into our dorm we knew we couldn't live in there. The rooms were hot and tiny. The beds didn't have ladders. There was no lockers, just a broken cupboard. Some of the beds were missing panels so you can fall through the middle/get stuck/be very uncomfy. So we asked to change rooms to a private and were given a double (the only availability) it was absolutely tiny but compared to the dorm it was bliss, it even had a fridge and sink in it. However the first morning I wake up to find ants in my suitcase and around the fridge/sink (wasn't even any food in them). The showers are the worst things ever, low water pressure and invested with ants (completely invested all over the walls so you are dodging them-not good if you have a phobia of ants).
We were offered a refund (only bonus) when we first got there as it was obvious we weren't happy, however there was no availability anywhere else.
Seriously, pay the extra money and stay in a nice hostel in the centre!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends