“A bit of a disappointment”

Frontier Hotel Darwin
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Darwin
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Stayed here with a tour group for one night. It was pretty basic and as my room was on the ground floor extremely noisy with people coming home and slamming doors or talking loudly whilst waiting for the elevator. It was some distance to the town centre and some of the group I was with walked into town in the evening but found it quite a hike. Our dinner in the restaurant consisted on a tray of slices of roast beef (I think thats what it was), mixed vegetables and mashed potato. There were no alternatives for vegetarians or if you didn't like beef. I would definitely choose a hotel much closer to the town centre if I return to Darwin - which I hope I do because it looks like a very nice place.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank roselilycat

Reviewed 18 August 2011

This hotel needs a major face lift, but the major issue was that I found bed bugs in the bed on my second and last night, also a major leak in the bathroom obviously from the room upstairs. When I checked out, I advised the staff, but he did not even acknowledge this or apologise!! I certainly will not be using this hotel again and will also advise all my colleagues( who travel often) and friends about the poor standard of this hotel.
The only redeeming feature was the roof top restaurant, where the food was fantastic and the service impeccable

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank Merle A
Reviewed 8 August 2011

My stay here was great. Walking distance to CBD, EXCELLENT staff on the front desk, nice & clean rooms, great restaurant on top level and good value for money, especially during peak season. BUT, a work colleague was staying the in room next to ours - when he went to have a coffee he found an open, unrolled (but thankfully unused) condom on the saucer under the coffee cup. Later when he went to have a shower another one fell out of the towel. Hard to tell if this was a prank meant for someone else, or sloppy housekeeping after some cheeky guests (there were a lot of tour groups). This ruined an otherwise great stay, and I will not stay here again for this reason.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank DiMaybs
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Prices in Darwin undergo a dramatic up tick during peak season, and when peak season is finished prices don’t come down as much as they should. Like everything in Darwin, prices are some of the highest in Australia and the cost of a room in a hotel is no exception.

This hotel (like all the rest of them in Darwin) sets a very high tariff on rooms and they know what price is competitive on the local market. Though I paid a jaw dropping sum for my room, I knew that it was in line with the cost of rooms at other places I had stayed in and around Darwin. However, what I didn’t expect was the thoroughly shop worn feel to every aspect of the property.

From the moment I stepped in to the building everything looked and felt like it had (long ago) seen better days. The room was functional, but with time it has been overshadowed by the tatty, threadbare guise of a property in decline. The ambiance is, pardon my French, "functional cheap.”" The carpets were worn, the springs in the overstuffed chair were sprung, the air conditioning was low on coolant and needed servicing, and the disposable razor appeared very much to have been previously used and was surprisingly dull.

The staff, however, were pleasant enough. Even after checking in and hauling my own bags up to my top floor room only to discover someone asleep in the bed and their possessions strewn about the place….even after then hauling my own bags all the way back down to reception and standing in a queue to inform them that I had been greeted by a large snoring woman in what I thought was my bed….even then, the staff were moderately pleasant and willing to help by issuing another key and saying, "try that…and let us know if there is someone in that room already too…" How could one fault that level of service?

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has not already been issued to a different guest
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank X13
Reviewed 25 July 2011

This may've been a nice hotel twenty years ago, but maintenance (such as the rotting bottom of the bathroom door) is lacking.
Staff were well presented and passably pleasant but usually invisible behind a frosted glass screen.
Bad smells in the stairwells, unsavoury types loitering around the front door; in a strange part of town that's a little creepy to come back to at night or leave in the early morning.
A few cleaning issues (ants, mould, hair), but bed seemed clean and I was comfortable. Didn't venture into the (OLD) pool.
Major stuff up with my booking was unfortunate, too.
Just not four star anymore, and I don't know who got it for $100-120, but that must've been off season!
Been to nicer caravan parks and cheap motels.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Amyshepp
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I will never return here.

There is absolutely no quality to speak of.

I complained to the Assistant GM (who looked hungover and exuded a highly unpleasant odour),

Save your money and give this one a PASS.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank ilovelewistaylor
Reviewed 21 June 2011

I only wish I had known about Trip Advisor before booking this hotel. It does not have many good reviews written about it. Air-conditioning barely worked even when the room was changed it was still no better, Beds were uncomfortable and room not particularly clean. Beautiful restaurant with views on top floor serving disgusting over priced food. I was so upset I checked out before my planned stay and had such a bad experience I doubt if I will ever return to Darwin in my leisure travels.

Room Tip: There are none
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family