“Don't stay here!”

Frontier Hotel Darwin
Ranked #32 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
“Don't stay here!”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel as I was in Darwin for a conference and I had no choice as to where I stayed. It was possibly the worst place I have ever stayed in. There was a constant smell of mould and rising damp. The aircon in my room wasn't functioning and after I requested it to be fixed, it was then very very cold and I couldn't change the settings. The hotel itself is not maintained well and the rooms are very poorly lit. There was no wifi in the room and I think that in 2013, this should be an essential facility especially for conference goers. The hotel is cheap but you get what you pay for and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Helen L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed here with work, and would never suggest anyone stay here. Room was on the ground floor, the in room facilities poor, had to request 4 different irons till one actually worked. The hotel itself appeared very run down, with a rough workers bar down stairs.

Given its location just out of the city, its a pretty dark walk home at night, so not the best if you are wanting to enjoy nights in the cbd.

House keeping, moved personal belongings which didnt site well with me, items they had no need to touching.

Overall a poor hotel experience. For the same price you can stay at much nicer hotels right in the cbd of Darwin.

Room Tip: Say no to a ground floor room, no security and you hear everything at street level
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank kurps

Travellers are raving about these Darwin hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We booked in February and we were guaranteed a bungalow room, I confirmed this twice again before our arrival, upon which we were advised we were on the fourth floor. The room was clean and the linen white and very clean. The bathroom was poorly lit and ventilated. Cleaning staff did arrive from 8.00am onward.
We found the staff pleasant and the location very accessable. I did have a nasty fall on the step mentioned by others between reception and the bar. I dreaded booking into this hotel after all the bad reviews, however we were pleasantly surprised

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank roslyn s
Reviewed 4 July 2013

First of all, our booking was made 3 months prior. I confirmed the booking over the phone 3 times over the 3 months before our arrival date. I had confirmation numbers and all. We arrived only to be told they were full and didn't have our booking. The staff were hopeless and were very rude and obnoxious towards us: they made it sound like it was our fault. They found us a room but when we saw the state of it, you wouldn't want your worst enemy to stay there. There was mould on the roof (check the photos). The toilet was loose off its housing. There were exposed wires at the a/c switch (extreme danger). Artwork glass casings were broken so the potential for falling glass was very concerning. The shower rails were coming out of their fittings..... Long and the short of it, I would not stay here again even if u paid me. Steer clear if this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Bagagaman
Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

Arrived at 1.30am to check in only to be told they didn't have our booking. Luckily we had our email confirmation as proof. We were told they could fit us in for the night, but needed to find a room for they rest of our stay. Terrible service, we had confirmed twice and they still lost our booking. Room when we finally got there had mold on the ceiling, broken air conditioner and a broken toilet seat.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank KFoster2608
Gunalda, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2013

On a recent trip to Darwin we stayed at this property. What a dive! Forget about its name "quality" because you won't find any here.
From the moment we checked in, it looked like a workers camp, with dirty rowdy men, congregating out the front of reception. After unpacking we went down to the bar for a drink, only to find it, noisy and full of workers. Not at all what you would expect in a Quality Hotel. I asked for a light beer and was informed they don't stock it, as they mainly cater to the workers staying in the Hotel. The pool area was full of workers and their stubbies. There wasn't anyway we could go and use the pool, without being watched and besides there weren't any chairs, as they had commandeered them all.
My overall thought on this property, forget about saving money, pay the extra and stay in a "QUALITY " hotel and don't waste your money here.

Room Tip: There aren't any, unless you are a worker.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank marymax92
Sydney
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Food terrible, staff hopeless.

The "full continental breakfast" is wheatbix & cornflakes. Roof-top buffer cooked to death. Lifts out of action for weeks.

Was told could check out late on departure but on day of checkout refused.

Rooms musty.

Location: not really near anything.

Don't recommend this hotel at all.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business