“Great place in an emergency”

The Leprechaun Resort
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
Brisbane, Australia
“Great place in an emergency”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We recently stayed at The Leprechaun for an emergency stop in Darwin, when all other accommodation was full. The staff were friendly and helpful, but that's where it stops really. This place is hardly a resort, although they have tried to give it that feel, it doesn't really work. The motel is on a really busy main road, without double glazing or sound proofing, so it is really noisy. It is clean and tidy and great for a night stay, we were very grateful to get the room, but would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dorothy R
leprechaun-resort, Front Office Manager at The Leprechaun Resort, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear Dorothy

Thank you for taking the time to review our Resort.
We have a major transformation happening at the moment! We are building 46 Luxury Cabins, a Conference Centre, A Beauty Salon, A Mini golf course and a Tropical Pool. We also hope to have our Restaurant ready in the coming months.

Our Compact Queen Rooms do face the Stuart Highway but we also have the option of our Queen Rooms at the back of the Resort, which are the way to go for light sleepers!

If you pass through Darwin again in the future we hope you will pop by and see the finished result, we would be delighted to give you a tour!!

Sarah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We are a young English couple holidaying in Australia and stayed in Darwin for four nights. We originally booked to stay in a backpackers due to Darwin being extremely overpriced but after a long and unpleasant flight, then walking into what can only be describe as a SQUAT which certainly shouldn't be paid for to stay in, The Leprechaun Resort and its staff well and truly saved our trip to Darwin.
The rooms are nice, basic, beautifully presented with all of the necessities you need in a hotel, and if something's missing, the staff are sure to put it right without any hesitation.
We were having a BBQ one night and forgot to buy tin foil. One trip to reception and Alley went and got some from her own kitchen for us to use.
I would compare the leprechaun resort to a travel lodge in England with more personal service. It's safe, you know what you're paying for, no hidden surprises or fees. We enjoyed having access to the pool and BBQ area and the girls were always so effortlessly helpful in helping us plan our day trips an activities.
For the sake of a ten minute 3$ bus ride into the city and saving a chunk of money or yourself from staying in a frightful backpackers it really is a no brainer. And the reception area always smells so beautiful!!
Thank you for making our trip so enjoyable and easy! The future really does look bright for the leprechaun resort! We wish you all the best with the expansion of the resort and if we're ever in Darwin again, we know exactly where to come
Many thanks
Harry and Yasmine

3 Thank Yasmine1307
leprechaun-resort, Front Office Manager at The Leprechaun Resort, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear Harry and Yasmine

Thank you so much for your wonderful review!
We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us here at the Resort.
Our beautifully scented Reception is one of the first things everyone comments on when they walk through the doors, All natural essential oils!!
It was lovely to meet you both and I hope the rest of your trip went well.
Please do come back and see us all if you are ever in Darwin again.
All the very best to you both for the future!

Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in a 2 bedroom cabin and very pleased with all of it, especially the cleanliness!! We have booked another night on our way back through Darwin and staying will be staying here whenever we visit Darwin! Thanks to all the lovely staff, excellent service, once barbie and pool and good rooms!!

1 Thank pascalintje
Dear Pascalelintje
Thank you for taking the time to write this review!
We are so proud of our Housekeeping team who do such an amazing job!!
Thank you for such wonderful comments!!

We hope to see you again someday!
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Whilst the staff are great. The rooms are small, clean , but modern. The cheaper rooms on the Stuart Highway need to be sound proofed to be comfortable. .If ear plugs provided may have been helpful..We didn't use the pool area or BBQ facilities. I was exhausted after 3 nights of interrupted sleep and glad to be moving on.

Room Tip: find somewhere else to stay if you only have the option of the highway rooms
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank KimInsydney32
leprechaun-resort, Front Office Manager at The Leprechaun Resort, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear KimInsydney32

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
I am sorry to hear that your sleep was interrupted by the traffic on the highway during your stay.
We do have the option of our Deluxe Queen Rooms which are on the back of our property for our Guests who are light sleepers. We also are currently building Luxury Cabins on the rear of our Resort which will be another great option for our Guests.

I hope next time you are in Darwin you will drop in for a tour of our new development which will be completed in the coming Months.

Singapore
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

Next to the highway, you will sleep well with a good pair of ear plugs. Room is clean and good, a bit small but just for a layover it's ok. We arrive at 1.30am, the hotel email me the gate code and a key box code in advance, we have no problem getting in and think that is a brilliant idea! Met the reception in the morning and we are out in 10sec. Again, rate is a bit high for a room like this at $135!

Dear Miaw G

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us!
The system we have created for our Guests who check in outside Office hours works extremely well!

We have Deluxe Queen Rooms that are located at the back of our Resort for our Guests who wish to be away from the Highway and we are currently building Luxury Cabins, A Tropical Pool, A Conference Centre and much much more. All at the rear of our Resort.
We hope next time you are in Darwin you will pop in for a Tour!

Best Wishes,
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed here in July 2013 for one night based on the great service reviews and I was not disappointed. I was very happy for about $120 a night. I stayed on the ground level, room 4 (for memory)
I've stayed in a few places in Darwin and feel constantly let down by the lack of service. The irish girl at the desk was LOVEY, very chatty and let me check in early. She had a good laugh with me when she couldn't understand the person on the 2way radio as they all have different accents. She ran over to my room herself to check if it was ready. I think nothing would have been too much trouble for this girl.

I told her that I was staying based on reviews on trip advisor and that my only concern was the road noise as it is on a main road. She said that she had been staying at the hotel herself and found that turning the fan downed out any noise -great tip.
I had trouble turning my brain off and falling to sleep, just as I started to doze I awoke to neighbours pulling up and unloading suitcases (not very quietly), I couldn't get back to sleep so I tried her trick but the fan unfortunately was unbalanced and so squeaked. Instead I turned the air on to fan only so that I didn't get cold and slept like a baby.

The hotel has an electric gate out the front so your car is nice and safe. The only thing that I would suggest to them that would make my stay more comfortable would be to have a chain on the door.
The room has an empty bar fridge, closet and tv. It's small, you walk in and there's the bed, but I wasn't there for anything but sleep. The girl told me there was also a pool that I was welcome to use. They put the little towel and shampoo kit on the bed which is really nice considering its a cheaper hotel, the more expensive places haven't done this for me. They also had a comment card where I wrote all my feedback.

Yes the room was nothing flash, basic but comfortable. It is not the quietest place I've stayed. But of all the places i have stayed in darwin so far this had the best service which I appreciate more than anything. I look forward to returning again in the near future.

Room Tip: If the road noise bothers you, turn your fan on (or air con on fan only) and it drowns out the noise...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tashwv88
leprechaun-resort, Front Office Manager at The Leprechaun Resort, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Tashwv88

Thank you so much for your Review!!
We are delighted that you had such a good experience with us.
Our team are wonderful here at The Leprechaun Resort, we pride ourselves on our Customer Service skills.

There are many different accents amongst our team:) we have lots of fun on the radios!!!:)
Thank you for sharing your comments and tips.

We look forward to seeing you in the very near future!

All the very best,
Bangkok
Reviewed 4 August 2013

The staff of the Leprechaun Resort was very friendly and supporting with all requests.

Since Darwin is - according to recent news articles - the 12th expensive city on this planet (!!! only god knows why) I did not deduct points due to the price we payed there per night (I think it was 165 AUD!).

So relatively seen to other places in Darwin the Resort was okay - depending on what type of room you get it actually is more a motel facing directly towards Stuart Highway which is loud (because of the cars, not the airport which is a stone throw away as the fly crows). But the rooms very clean (although they really smelled like some kind of cleaning solution all the time) and had all the things you need: fridge, TV, bathroom etc.

Re the location it really depends on what you are looking for. It is certainly not located in the city and there is de facto no public transport going there so you need a car. But you can very easily take the car and go into the city and to the airport from there so for us it was a great "exploring hub".

Room Tip: Try not to get a Motel room but some in the back of the resort
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Peter M

Thank you for taking the time to write this Review!
Our Compact Queen Rooms do face the Stuart Highway which is quite busy during the day.
The Deluxe Queen Rooms on the back of our property are the better option for light sleepers.

In the coming Months our Guests will also have the option of our Luxury Cabins which are located at the very back of the Resort. We would be delighted to give you a tour next time you are in Darwin!

Our Resort has a Bus Stop directly outside our Gates, the Number 8 Bus is in service 7 days a Week and takes approximately 10 to 15 minutes to reach the City Centre. The Number 5 Bus also services Monday to Friday and this Bus will take you to Casuarina Shopping Centre.

Thanks again for your comments and tips!
We hope to see you again in the near future.

All the Best,