“Great Hotel”
Review of H Hotel

H Hotel
Ranked #12 of 35 Hotels in Darwin
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Stayed 3 nights and found the hotel to be very central to everything and reasonably priced. The rooms are a good size with comfortable beds and nice bathrooms. The staff were friendly and very helpful. Would definitely stay at this hotel again if visiting Darwin.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angela R

Reviewed 21 October 2013

My wife and I stayed 5 nights, everything was great, central location, good sized clean rooms, helpful and friendly staff, close to all Darwin has to offer. Would definitely stay again and recommend to friends

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 19Lance54
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a first time this week during a stopover in Darwin for work we found the room quite spacious and comfortable and we enjoyed the stay. Had dinner with friends at the restaurant and it was ok and i think will improve in time. Only negative is the a/c is noisy, sounds like a dishwasher emptying. Will recommend to our work to use more often.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Mikeedarwin
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Nice modern hotel with partial sea views we were on floor 8 so got good sunset views. Didn't use the restaurant but the bar staff were friendly. It was pretty humid when we were there so we were delighted there was a pool, however walking through reception or the restaurant to get to the front street located pool was a bit annoying. No one wants to drip through a restaurant up to their room! However the pool was clean and there are only partial views in from the street.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor for better views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dublinaa
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Noisy room 10 on the ground floor & I could hear peoples conversation in the room next to mine. Also heard quite clearly every time the gentleman cleared his throat - did not make for comfortable rest.
The corridor noise of numerous doors closing was very loud as well. This went on for hours.
Upon check out I mentioned both noise complaints to the reservations manager who just defended hotel, good for you lady but not good Public Relations.
A great shower is about all I can recommend about my one night stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank loriterritory
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I was ready to trash this hotel but the staff interactions saved it for me. Positives first -
Excellent shower head, water pressure and temperature control;
Breakfast reasonable (for Darwin) at $17/$25;
Free of charge midday check-out with $20 p/h thereafter;
Staff - apart from unhappy looking house-keeping staff, everyone else I encountered was happy, friendly and helpful. Kudos to them all as individuals and to the training they have received.

Negatives -
Expensive - $190 / $235 for the first and second night stays;
Industrial (rather than 'funky') room style - a bit like an office with a bed in it;
The only bathroom amenities were shampoo and conditioner - not a shower cap, comb or anything else. A single soap to be shared between the vanity and the shower and none of these items were replaced for my second day's stay;
$5 for a bucket of ice (sans tongs);
Noisy aircon - when I mentioned it to reception they suggested turning it off and on again at the controller - but this didn't fix a soundtrack which reminded me of a dishwasher;
No hair dryer in the room - you have to call down to reception and they will deliver one to you. Too bad if you are standing there straight out of the shower and had an appointment to go to;
Dirty gym equipment. Coke on, this is an almost new hotel and it is obvious that there has never been a spray and wipe over of the sweat stained gear - didn't want to touch it, it was yuck;
No pen in the room. Surely for the price being charged, ou could afford to lose the occasional 15 cent branded pen?
Thread-bare towels (see photo) - how is this even possible? This hotel has only been open a couple of months and the towels look like this? Were they bought second hand?

Like I said, it was only the staff that saved this stay for me. Would I stay again? Probably not unless they start treating their guests like they are paying for an expensive room and start providing the amenities to suit.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Zeddog
Fabrice G, General Manager at H Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Dear Zeddog,

Thank you for taking the time to connect with us regarding your recent stay at the H Hotel Darwin

I was most disappointed to learn that we had failed to meet your expectations as the care and comfort of our guests is our highest priority and I would like to sincerely apologise for the disturbance and inconvenience that the noisy air conditioning caused during your stay.

I would like to acknowledge the well informed and balanced nature of your feedback and thank you for taking the time to share it in such a positive way as you have done. On personally reviewing your suggestions with the Hotel’s Chief Engineer, I can advise that we have investigated the short cycling of the unit and the fan operation and have made some adjustments to minimize the noise.

In regards the amenities provided in the room, we are already in the process of reviewing our selection and it will be in place in the coming weeks. It will include additional shower gel, shower cap... We very much value your feedback as we see it as a chance to learn and respond to you directly and use this opportunity to improve the level of product and service we provide to our guests.

Dear Zeddog, while I cannot give you back the time from this stay I would love to have the opportunity to show you that this recent stay is not indicative of our usual guest experience. With this in mind, when next you wish to return to Darwin, please contact me directly, fabric.grau@hhotel.com.au so we can ensure that your next stay is a memorable one for all the right reasons.

Warm regards

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Nice clean new hotel, restaurant buffet Good, can lack variety but if your passing through its good. Not really a family Hotel but would pass. Good for the business man or woman. Not a big hotel reception and not real tourist orientated, but has a bit of a funky style. Room differ and are good, pretty cool gym facilities and Centrally located in the CBD. Has great views of CBD or sunsets, the higher you go the better (of course). Certainly worth a look if you're undecided on accommodation in Darwin.

Room Tip: 9th Floor is good
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Veronica G
Fabrice G, General Manager at H Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Dear Veronica H,

It is always a proud moment for me when I read such positive reviews as yours and I would like to thank you for sharing them with me. I’m so glad that you enjoyed not only all of the hotel’s facilities but also the close proximity of so many other iconic Darwin attractions and of course our "Funky Style" which make us unique in the CBD.
In regards to family facilities, the hotel provide everything that our guest little guest needs, from a yummy kids menu in the D Restaurant to high chairs, cot, pencil & toys. It is also great for family to have easy access to parks and the famous esplanade in a couple of steps. Once again, it was a pleasure to have you staying with us and we hope to see you back here in the not too distant future.

Warm regards