“Good hotel for Darwin”

Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
Australia
“Good hotel for Darwin”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Spent one night this week at the H Hotel on Smith Street in Darwin. It is situated near Woolworths, a short stroll to the Smith Street Mall. The hotel is only 14 mths old, and still has a shiny, new look. Staff at the front desk and in the restaurant were helpful and cheerful. We had flown in early, so our room wasn't ready. However storing our luggage whilst we went for lunch, and a nice upgrade to a larger room were appreciated. A late checkout for the next morning before our flight home wasn't an issue either.

Our room was on the 2nd floor, and was huge. Comfortable king sized bed, good blackout curtains, nice shower and couch. The only criticism would be that the room doors seem quite thin, and have quite a large gap under them that let lots of light in at night. We also could very easily hear a mum screaming at her children in the next room through the door.

We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant on the ground floor. Continental breakfast was nice. The hot breakfast looked ok, but my husband's only complaint was the "potato gems" were cold. They also had rice congee which was a nice touch.

TV had some extra Foxtel channels for sport, and there was wifi available for a charge, which I didn't try.

Quite a comfortable stay - would definitely consider for a trip back to Darwin

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Alice Springs, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Central position in Darwin, just hundred metres from Mitchell street, the h hotel has been a really handy accommodation for a weekend in Darwin.
We needed to be central and a walking distance to the entertainment centre and if you want to party all night in the clubs around mitchell street without thinking about taxis or driving, you can't ask for a better solution.
Rooms are tidy, minimal with big tv, mirrors and a kettle to make coffee or the.
The minibar offer some spirits and soft drinks, but the ones we had were all expired. Maybe a check once in a while at the fridge would be helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Despite what I paid for my stay at this quite average hotel (which, to my mind, is a triumph of superficial 'style' over substance), I was regularly confronted by other patrons wandering shirtless and/or unshod in the lifts and public areas, sometimes can in hand. On arrival, tired and jet-lagged, I struggled into reception, noticed by staff but unassisted with my heavy luggage (it was far from busy at the time), before being shown to my 'home-away-from-home' for the next five days: a grey and dismal third-floor room, cheaply furnished, with a hard, uncomfortable bed, cheap, chunky pillows, no bath or robe and, worst of all, views of nothing more than a high, sky-blocking wall, an expansive metal roof and some massive air-conditioning infrastructure that, like the plumbing noises from other rooms, was audible day and night. To say I was disappointed was an understatement. Moreover, the iron had baked-on goo on it, the ironing board and carpet were stained and there was a surcharge not only for wi-fi but also using a credit card to pay for extras like room service. In other words, the H Hotel is all about them, not you. To be fair, the food in the restaurant was OK and the girls behind the bar were a hoot. Also, given that my room was so horrid and there was apparently nowhere nicer to move me, I managed to wangle a midday check-out, which somewhat mollified me. However, if you're looking for anything approaching even a modicum of class, avoid this place like the plague!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor and remember, none of the windows open. The H Hotel is a former offic...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank emmebean
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

In this day and age, I thought every hotel proprietor would know that a sense of private space is of first importance. I was undoubtedly unlucky, but I had a person in the next room who swore at the top of his voice, laughed like a drunk hyena, and did it all from as early as 7:00 to as late as 1:00 AM. All of it very, very audible in my room. So too were many other hotel noises - guests coming and going in the hallway, that dreaded 'peeing on your head' sound from above.

One particular annoyance was the air conditioner, which made loud gurgling and bubbling noises, loud enough to make sleeping difficult. I reported this within an hour of checking in. The front desk promised to have maintenance look at it right away. Five days later, nothing had changed.

Like other reviewers, I had high expectations based on price. I won't be staying here again.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank nitrox_john
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed here for a total of five nights in two blocks. The staff were very friendly and helpful. During our time here we had some difficulties obtaining a rental car but the staff were able to change some of our other bookings to ensure that we didn't miss out. The rooms were very comfortable and the air conditioning worked well and could be set to the temperature we liked rather than being preset by the hotel. We ate several times in the restaurant as the food was superbly cooked and better than we had at several other places in Darwin.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed here for work over a five night period. The staff were excellent, the quality of the food in the restaurant was also to a high standard. Room was clean and functional, great access to Mitchell St and the water only a block away.

Secure parking for your car, Woolworths only a 3m walk from the hotel if you need supplies. Approx 20-25m drive from the airport.
Nice functional gym if you need to sweat out the booze or kg's :)
Outdoor swimming pool on the ground floor adjoining the restaurant and bar area. Would ahppily take my kids here...

Good work guys!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Fabrice G, General Manager at H Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Jason,

Thank you so much for your warm and genuine words of praise for the staff here. I was so proud when I read your review and so delighted that we were able to play a small part in making your stay in Darwin enjoyable. The staff here really do make the difference and I have printed out your review and posted it on the staff noticeboard for everyone to read and enjoy. Once again thank you for sharing your thoughts and it will be our pleasure to have you stay with us again for a future stay
Regards

Fabrice Grau
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

H hotel is very new, which makes it clean and modern. The rooms however are nothing really special, just a standard room like you can find in any hotel. For 200+ AUD per night, this is highly overpriced.

My first negative comment is the wifi charge. It is 2014, wifi can be found for free in many places, even on the street, but H hotel still charges its guests for it. Actually even a lot, 15 AUD! Especially given the room rate, I think this is unacceptable.

The worst of this hotel is its incompetent personnel. I really wonder where they recruited these people , but something went terribly wrong in that process. It started with the online booking. I asked a couple of questions, but never got any reply. Had to send a reminder before it was replied after many days. There wasn't any apology and it was not even an answer to what I asked. Worse was our arrival. We arrived late at 11PM (as we announced) and the front door was locked. We thus rang the bell, but nothing happened. Eventually we waited for 20 minutes before someone let us in! When we said this, the only response was: "yes, I was doing my round", no apology or anything. We were quite stunned. An other bad staff behaviour is that they start cleaning at 8 AM, loudly shouting and vacuum cleaning on the corridor. These things really annoyed us, but the lack in hospitality was also present in smaller things. E.g. reception doesn't greet you when you walk in or out of the hotel. And once, when I was waiting at reception, I heard the staff member arguing on the phone with someone: "no , that is not what I said to you about availability, etc.". No idea what she was talking about with a (potential) guest, but I thought "isn't lesson 1 in hospitality that the customer is always right?". Hospitality or customer centricity seem unexistent in this staff's vocabulary!!! If this new hotel wants to gain an important share in Darwin's market, the management really needs to address this issue tomorrow.

Overall, way too expensive for what you get, with the most disappointing staff I ever saw in a hotel claiming to be on the luxury end. For us, absolutely the last time we went here.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Wouter188590
Fabrice G, General Manager at H Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Wouter188590

Thank you for your review of your experience here and I am naturally disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. I would like to apologise for any inconvenience you experienced on your arrival. Bing located in the centre of CBD all access of the hotel are secured from 11.00pm to 4.00 am to provide a safe and secure environment to our guest and employees.

Thank you for your sincere and constructive comments concerning your impression on our service delivery. I am very sorry and surprised to learn that we did not meet your expectations as the hotel spends a considerable amount of money on training our front line teams and we consistently receive positive comments about our friendly and helpful staff and the connections that they have made with our guests.

Having said that, your feedback has highlighted some areas that may need to be readdressed and I thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and should you reconsider your decision and return to the hotel one day, please contact either myself or our Front Office Manager directly and we will ensure your next stay is a memorable one for all the right reasons.

Regards