“DOUBLETREE BY HILTON THE ESPLANADE DARWIN”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin
Ranked #17 of 36 Hotels in Darwin
Reviewed 29 November 2013

highly reccomended, Location was sensational, access to the CBD and other locations for business was quick and easy, staff, service, the facilities , were of a high standard..no hesitation in booking there again

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Oakden R

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed the time that you spent at the hotel. It is always pleasing when a guest comments on the service extended by the team - thank you !!

Thanks again and we hope to see you again one day soon.

Carey Osborne

Write a ReviewReviews (1,202)

Reviewed 27 November 2013

The grandeur of this hotel is a bit faded, with many of the fixtures and fittings needing to be updated from the 1980s/1990s. But the facilities are still nice and I had a very comfortable stay. Having said that, I don't think this property really lives up the Hilton reputation.

All of the staff were really fantastic. Customer service was great and nothing was too much trouble.

Make sure you take your swimsuit - the pool looks very inviting!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear queenbee1981

Thank you for your comments and I am glad that your stay was a comfortable one. Thank you in particular for your comments about our team. They are very committed to excelling at the service experience that they offer our guests, and I am pleased that you enjoyed your interactions with them.

Thank you once again and remember to access our best rates guaranteed through doubletree.com

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Last time I stayed here this place was called the Holiday Inn. Today it's a Hilton but it still feels pretty much like the old Holiday Inn. It's certainly a clean and tidy hotel and the staff are very pleasant and of course the location, right on the esplanade, is still sensational. It's just that the place looks and feels a bit tired!
The rooms are comfortable enough but they lack the pazzaz and sparkle one expects from a Hilton. Put simply, the place lacks colour.
However, I shouldn't be too negative because we did have a pleasant stay in a spacious room and everybody was very kind to us. AND... we appreciated the late check-out.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

I first stayed at this hotel in April 2006 during a cyclone. At that time, it was a Holiday Inn, and then it was showing the need to be updated. Having been acquired by Doubletree, I assumed they had spent some money on bringing the hotel up to date, but sadly NO. Hence the title Doubletree by Holiday Inn and frankly nothing has changed since the last time I stayed there, other than flat screen TV’s in the room. This hotel could have a lot going for it, but it has all the atmosphere of a shopping mall without the shops. To make matters worse is the infestation of tiny black ants in the room. I’ve lived in warm, humid climates and bugs can be a problem, which is why a regime of bug control and regular spraying is important. For a hotel to have this type of problem is not satisfactory, I discovered them when I was sitting at the work desk and they were crawling over my hand. They seemed to be everywhere. Internet access was very expensive and the free WiFi in the lobby was very basic and very limited. I did not get the room I had booked, I was told at check-in that I had been upgraded to a loft suite, on arrival in that suite, it was awful. The bed was upstairs, with the living area downstairs, in what felt like a dungeon. I have mobility issues and apart from not liking it, I didn’t want to have to negotiate the stairs, so I told the front desk to move me. I ended up in a room with two double beds and no view, which was not what I booked and was told that that was all there, was. The aircon struggled to cool the room and why on earth there was a thick duvet on the bed when this is the tropical north where the temperature rarely falls below 25C is beyond me. I like to watch a bit of TV whilst I am working on my laptop, but that was impossible, as the only place you could see the TV was either sitting or lying on the bed. I stayed two nights, my room was not cleaned, even though I had been out for over four hours during the middle part of the day.

This was a very disappointing stay, I thought I was going to stay at a Doubletree, instead I ended up staying in a very run down Ex-Holiday Inn. Maybe that is why it is no longer a Holiday Inn? Shame on you Doubletree, I expected better. Next time, I’ll try the Hilton, at least they had good wifi in their lobby and being high rise, you must get some kind of view from the rooms

Room Tip: Try another hotel
3  Thank NewxGate
CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Dear NewxGate

Thank your for your comments and I apologise that your stay with us is not what you were hoping for. Our hotel is older and we are currently working with the owner on the best way forward for the hotel. The new flat screen TV's are on a swing hinge so that they are able to be watched from any part of the living area and WiFi has also been installed in every guest room.

Our sister hotel at DoubleTree by Hilton Darwin is more suited for a corporate or business traveller and was refreshed a few years ago, you may wish to try this hotel on your next visit to Darwin. If I can assist you in any way, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Hotel was okay, only issue being the maintenance of the room (although the bed was very comfortable). Good location in town, close to the main street for restaurants/shops and nice outlook over the bay and esplanade.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your feedback Scott T and I apologise for the maintenance issues that you encountered in your roon. I am glad that you had a good nigths sleep in our comfy beds and enjoyed our central location. I trust that your stay was an enjoyable one and we hope to see you again when you next travel to Darwin.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

My wife and I live in Darwin and stay here as we have found this to be a very welcoming place. All staff have been freindly and cannot fault Kathy or Mary. Food has been good and if it was not goodwe made sure to let them know. With the service we recieve we are frequent visitors. I would always recommend this to family and friends. Who knows even the esplanade suite might be worth having a night in.

Room Tip: Level 5 even numbers above 524 as you get good views of harbour

Dear Daniel B

Thank you for your post and it was great to see you back at our hotel once again. We love having our local guests come to stay with us and it appreciated that we are your hotel of choice when escaping for the weekend. The Esplanade suite is amazing with a terrace with a jacuzzi and sweeping views of the ocean and harbour, nespresso coffee machine and a large relaxation area. I can highly recommend this room for a special night away or just to treat yourself !

Thanks again Daniel B, we look forward to seeing you once again soon.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Had everything I'd expect.........subtle efficient pleasant staff, wunderbar view of Darwin Harbour.........great climate......people laid back & 'real' for once1. Lots of mega rise constructions going up....honestly, get here now! Stayed November 9 th & 10th. Value for money. Hot as Hades, felt exotic to me......first time to N.T......HIGHLY recommended!

Room Tip: If i were to go again......and I am....soon......spend extra $50 a night & go for King Suite or...

Dear campbella29

Thank you for you feedback in regards to your recent stay at our hotel. I am glad that you had a fantastic trip to this unique part of the world. I trust that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to your next visit to the Top End.