“Watch out for the Noise”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Darwin
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Darwin
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This hotel is going through renovations and if you stay there and are in the room in the daytime between 8am and 6pm the noise is deafining. Other than the hotel is clean and seems to be have renovated on floor 10 but alas no work done in the corridors and also outside. Good view if you have a room overlooking the sea

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Darwin, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Mark C

Thank you for your comments and I do apologise for the noise that you encountered due to our bathroom renovations. I hope that you did however enjoy the new bathroom. We are currently exploring some colour and lighting options for our corridors in an effort to also lift this part of our hotel.

Thank you once again and the team and I hope to see you on your next trip to Darwin.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

This is a very nice hotel with nice staff, and the location is great. I enjoyed my stay and can recommend the hotel for comfort and quiet. The bed was very comfortable; I had the best sleep. Handy to everything, just a stroll up the road.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Dear Maikzone

It is wonderful to see that your stay was such an enjoyable one. Our location is a great one, close to the city centre, yet have amazing views of the harbour and the Bicentennial Park directly opposite the hotel.

Thank you once again and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel one day soon.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Ever dependable, friendly staff and a great spot. Nice rooms with harbour and/or city views. About a ten minute work to the city centre There was extensive renovations ongoing at the hotel when I stayed and the entire city suffered a power failure. Lucky the hotel had a back up generator (not all did)…..a true survivor…Recommend

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review Charles F, it is greatly appreciated.

Our team do a fantastic job and I am glad that you were happy with the service that we extended to you. Our emergency systems were put to the test recently with the power outage to the Darwin District and it was pleasing to see that there was minimal disruption for our guests.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to DoubleTree by Hilton Darwin in the near future.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

This is an old hotel away from the main Street. Currently undergoing a makeover. Renovations began at 6.30am until 6pm (including jackhammers) and this was not displayed on the website when I made my booking. The room was comfortable, some have updated bathrooms. I found the staff friendly. The breakfast offered many choices and fresh fruit to make your own juice was a nice touch. Excellent view from my room on the 8th floor. I'd wait until the reno's are finished before I would contemplate staying again.

1  Thank Shirleen M

Dear Shirleen M

I am pleased that you enjoyed the service extended to you by the team and our Wake Up by DoubleTree breakfast. I am sorry that the noise from our bathroom renovations impacted your stay with us. They will be finished shortly. I do hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us once again and experience our new bathrooms.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Great hotel in Mitchell Street. Close to restaurants and bars. There's a pool that is fine for a relaxing dip. Nothing too fancy - the usual hotel pool area.
The staff are attentive and were outstanding during the power failure that stopped Darwin in its tracks. Thank you!
I haven't tried anything other than room service and the food was fine. A bit of limited menu BUT the lovely staff sent a letter to my room asking me if I had any special requests menu wise to make my long (3 weeks+) more comfortable. How lovely.
The bed is comfortable, the room very clean and the bathroom is great!

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Mauzie2

I was delighted to see that your stay was such an enjoyable one. Thank you for comending our team for the way that they handled the power failure that affected the Darwin district recently, it was a frustrtaing time for our guests and thank you for your understanding.

Mauzie2, thank you once again for your comments. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Darwin.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Hhonors Diamond, just checked out after a 2 night stay at this hotel due to my regular hotel being unavailable. Things started to go bad when I walked out of the lift on level 8 and was hit by a strong stench of mold, presumably coming from the huge patch of water stained carpet in the foyer, but who knows. Got to the room, no internet, called reception who advised they'd have to call the help desk. It sounded as if I was putting her out and it was bed time so I told her not to bother. During the night the power went out and stayed out for 12 hours, obviously outside the hotels control, but this didn't improve the situation at a truly awful hotel in the midst of renovations. Went down for breakfast, the lady suggested I sit outside it would be cooler, assuming she meant there was a table free outside I went searching, there wasn't, silly me... It's been a long time since I wasn't escorted to my breakfast table and offered coffee, but in something that resembles a no tell motel, Doubletree by name only, I shouldn't have been so shocked. After after a very average breakfast sitting in the thoroughfare next to the hot food and after waiting 20 minutes for an underwhelming omelette, I thought it best I start work. On the way out I mentioned to the girl and front desk (same as the night before) about the internet. She advised it was due to the power outage and everyone was having the same problem. I knew this was a lie as it wasn't working before the power went out either. When I got back to the hotel I discovered that my bathroom lights, air conditioning, television and internet were still not working, despite power having been restored. I reported all these problems which were fixed reasonably promptly. Today after another unremarkable breakfast I went to work and upon return couldn't access my room. Again stupid me for thinking that this Fawlty Towers would be proactive enough to cut keys for late checkout.

Although I didn't voice just how disappointed I was, I'm sure it was obvious and frankly this hotel should be embarassed to deliver this level of service to a Diamond member without even having the courtesy to offer a drink voucher. If this was the motel it looks like at $100 a night there would not be an issue, but this isn't the case.

In short I would highly recommend staying elsewhere.

1  Thank travelliingaussie

Dear travellingaussie

Thank you for your review, I appreciate your feedback as it helps me to understand what we do well and where we can improve.

I am sorry that we have not met your expectations, your opinion matters and I have shared these with the team so we can improve. Consistency in standards is important and it is disappointing to read where we have not met this goal.

Once again sincere apologies that you left with a less than positive impression, your opinions are valued. Should you decide to revisit Darwin, please do reach out to me as I would like to be able to restore your confidence in the hotel and what we strive to deliver to our guests.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

People should be made aware of renovations occurring at this hotel so that they can be given an option if they want to stay there or not. In saying this the staff are excellent. The hotel is being renovated on three floor so jackhammers and other loud banging can be heard from the upper and lower floors. This noise was only supposed to be audible from 10.00 am until 6.00 pm on Saturday, but it started at 6.50 am and finished at 6.20 pm. This was not really good enough seeing as we only had a very short time to stay and enjoy Darwin. But when we brought this to the attention of the staff and Duty Manager they had no hesitation in finding us alternative accommodation in the sister Hotel next door, refunded the cost of our first night and gave us vouchers for drinks, which they did not have to do. Our room had been renovated and had a great view, the only criticism I have is that there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom so everything was steamed up. Also our tv reception was very ordinary and this was brought to the attention of staff, but not fixed during the duration of our stay, not that this was a major issue.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 109gillianh

Dear 109gillianh

Thank you for your comments and I do apologise for the noise generated by our bathroom refurbishments. Our TV reception challenges have now been corrected and I am sorry for any inconvenience caused. Our bathroom refurbishments will be completed over the coming weeks and I do hope that you will have the opportunity to return to the property and enjoy our relaxing surrounds.