“Terrible Customer Service”

Ranked #21 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
Nagoya, Japan
“Terrible Customer Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Aesthetically, you fall in love with this place when you arrive. But that's as far as it goes. The rooms are ok, definitely livable, but the staff has no customer service skills. The Aussie staff is great, but they are few and far between. Everyone else, forget about it. It seemed that every question we asked, we for NO for an answer. No maybe's, no let me see what I can do. Just NO. Everything is very expensive and they charge for everything, trust me, even wifi at $18 a day. Not a nice stay.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Scott B
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Mercure Darwin Airport Resort, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Resort. My apologies for not meeting your needs during your stay. I have followed up with the wider team with your review to point out how inattentive service can impact a guest stay.
We have had some Team changes of late but we do pride ourselves on that can do customer service delivery.
Should you be travelling through Darwin in the near future I would welcome the opportunity to make amends.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
New Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

It looks like such a pretty place... a nice pool and open lobby as you walk in. But it all a façade

No matter what you needed from bar service to hotel amenities, the answer was invariably "No!" The rooms, although clean and spacious are dark as the bottom of a well. Everything in town is at least a $25AU cab ride. The business center is laughable, you can't even print anything.

Best part is the last day of my visit... no hot water. I call the front desk and the fix offered was to let it run for awhile and it will work.

Avoid this place... it is disappointing.

Room Tip: Sleep at a different hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Smurf52
Thanks for taking the time to write a review in relation to your recent stay. Please accept my apologies for the lack of customer focussed service you encountered during your recent stay.
I realise this has impacted your stay and would welcome any opportunity to make amends.

Travellers are raving about these Darwin hotels

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

what a disappointment...arrived at this hotel after 10 amazing days in Bali and were met with a below average room (bugs in one of the beds), outrageous prices for dinner $75 for 3 bowls of chips, mini Caesar salad, a crappy pizza and a beer! Booked a shuttle to the nearby Casuarina Shopping Mall for the next morning. After confirming the destination with the shuttle driver, she drove us and some other passengers to the Darwin City Centre, ordered us off the bus with the comment "too bad, get off I have errands to run and then I have to drop the bus off for a service". When we argued that she had told us that the shuttle was going to the shopping centre her comment was the "bad luck I have things to do you will have to take it up with my manager...it wasn't written on the whiteboard." We refused to get off the bus and proceeded to travel with her to get her errands done. On arrival at the mechanics she again told us to "take it up with the manager, he will be here in 10 minutes to pick me up". About 10 minutes later she returned to the shuttle where we were still sitting and advised us that her manager had said it was ok to take us to the shopping mall. Great news seeing we had booked to go there with reception the night before!! Upon returning to the hotel to collect our bags to return to the airport, we spoke to the young man on the desk and asked if we could speak to the manager as we had a complaint about the rude shuttle driver. He advised that there was no manager on the premises. He asked what the problem was...when we explained what had happened all he said was "I don't know what happened there" got our bags from the storage area and thanked us for staying. We will never stay at a Rydges resort or hotel ever again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone else either. This experience happened on the 12th December 2013 and the shuttle driver's name was Cindy.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank rob g
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your recent stay at the Resort. I was most concerned to read your comments in relation to the City Shuttle and one of our drivers. Please firstly let me apologise for the inconvenience this caused.We have reviewed the incident with the driver and went through how she could have handled this better and with a better outcome. It definately shows how a poor decision can have such a negative service impact.
I realise how this affected your stay and should you be travelling through Darwin in the future would welcome the opportunity to make amends.
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

We arrived late at this resort and were met by friendly staff. After a lengthy check in our room was changed because of the distance to the first one that was allocated to us. We got a bungalow overlooking the pool.
As it was late at night and we had not visited here before we were given a map and a key to find our room. I felt we could have been shown the accommodation as we were not familiar with this place. It took us forever trying to find where we were to stay. We were not the only ones in this predicament. We were fortunate enough to stumble upon a security guard who could actually lead us to our bungalow.
The bungalow was good, well equipped with air conditioning that worked well. The small kitchen was handy.
The location of this place was excellent for us as we needed to be close to the airport which was within walking distance.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helen N
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Mercure Darwin Airport Resort, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I apologise for you not being given more assistance in directions to your room. We have improved the lighting and signage for the guest rooms to minimise this concern in the future.
I am glad to see you enjoyed the bungalow room facilities and thank you for your recent patronage.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

Have stayed her lots for work, the rooms are ok, their a decent size and clean they just feel a little dated. Good bar for sitting back and having a drink by the pool.
The restaurant is a bit average but the one in the sister hotel across the road long foong is great
Not very close to town but very convenient for airport travel

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Rydges Darwin Airport Resort. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and as you commented we are very convenient for the airport traveller.
The Runaway bar overlooking the pool is a great place to relax or meet with friends and the Essence Restaurant offers a grill type menu with Steaks a feature.
Thank again for choosing the resort and I trust we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Alice Springs, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

I've stayed here a few times passing through darwin airport. Very convenient location, clean and comfortable rooms, nice bar and restaurant, reasonable price (by Darwin standards). Service has always been pleasant, competent and accomodating.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thanks for choosing to stay at the Rydges Darwin Airport Resort. I am glad you enjoyed your recent stay. We are well located near the airport and with the complementary shuttle it makes the transit very easy.
Thanks again for your patronage and support and I trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort when next you are travelling to Darwin.
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

The notion of a resort at an airport seemed rather foolish, but really the only thing this place offers over a hotel is a swimming pool.
I booked here when my office asked me to change the location of work on my way home from a holiday. This necessitated a stop of 13 hours in Darwin, so not long enough to go into town, and since I would be leaving at 1am, I wanted to try to get some sleep. Just about any hotel would do for this purpose, so it's disappointing that there isn't a budget option at Darwin Airport, where flight schedules are so erratic.
On my arrival in my room, the airconditioner was set to 29, which was barely two below the outside temperature, and it took a long time to get the temperature in the room down to something habitable so I could sleep. Unfortunately, the rattling of the airconditioner was way too loud for this to be easy.
The bed, though, was comfortable, and when I ran out of tired the television offered a fine distraction.
The standard hotel habit of putting the shower rose below my chin has been observed here. I did manage to turn it over, so that it was pointing up towards the ceiling, which I thought was a clever solution to this problem, and one that I will make a habit of doing where the rose has been positioned ridiculously low from now on.
Otherwise, this is a very standard hotel, with very expensive food options, but a very short walk from better options in the airport itself.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Resort. My apologies for the inconvenience caused by the shower and the air conditioning setting upon arrival. We do try to have housekeeping leave the A/c on 24 degrees but know this isn't always the case.
A handy hint when staying is to join the Priority Guest Program at reception (its free) and get great discounts off food when dining.
Thanks again for your valuable feedback