“Value for money - in the NT”
Review of Palms City Resort

Palms City Resort
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
Bangkok, Thailand
“Value for money - in the NT”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Given the exorbitant prices of accommodation in Darwin, we were happy with what we paid for. I think 'deluxe villa' is a little hopeful, it was more like staying in a stand alone at a caravan park; it was dark and a bit pokey - especially the kitchenette. It was, however, very clean; the staff were friendly and unobtrusive, and the location was good as we didn't expect to have transport. We were actually loaned a car, so our only real problem was that there was insufficient parking so we had to park on the street overnight.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Gold Coast
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We had booked for one week and needed to extend our stay, the office rection staff where brilliant at helping us didn't have to move rooms, they where all very helpful. Palms City Resort is very handy to the Main Street, no need to worry about taxis, you can walk.

Room Tip: We stayed in the villas they where very good, you have an electric BBQ outside on the deck which was...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Hotel lacks security, lack of camera's (terrible imaging), no on grounds security officers, located right next to the road (people can jump the fence). Was broken into (security screen was not used, just fly screen) and was poorly and disrespectfully treated after the incident, no refund, replacement of stolen goods, not even any sympathy. DO NOT RECOMMEND!

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank Nala16
palmsmanager, General Manager at Palms City Resort, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Guest,
I am very disappointed to read your review. I am aware of which guest you are and the incident you have described. It is upsetting that you believe you were poorly and disrespectfully treated after this incident. You neglected to mention the assistance staff gave you when you required medical assistance or the fact that you left the security screen unlocked when you left the property to go to the hospital. In discussing with you the events that saw you assaulted outside a pub I was completely sympathetic to the injuries you sustained. We even discussed that it may have been the people who attacked you that broke into the room after you left it to go to the hospital. This was also something the police officer agreed was a strong possibility. When you enquired about the resorts insurance I advised you it only covers the property of the resort and not that of the guests belongings. I also discussed the damage sustained to the room (which was more than the nightly rate you had paid) and the strange and personal nature of the theft given that your cash, other jewelry and play station games were not taken. I spoke to the police regarding the matter and offered all the assistance I could. I was, and am sympathetic to the events that you found yourself involved in that night and I did convey that to you when we spoke. The resort was also a victim of this event and it’s extremely disappointing that you would make these comments in a public forum when you were in fact not treated poorly (by the resort staff anyway) and did leave the security screen door unlocked.
derby
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Room was very very basic, paper thin walls, noisy neighbours and teeny ants and showers that leaked everywhere. Darwin is up and coming and there are some lovely shopping and eating areas. Crocosaurus cove and the botanical gardens are also worth a visit.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DerbyDee
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Palms City Resort. I am sorry that you did not find the accommodation to your expectations. We offer several different styles of accommodation at the resort (Standard and Superior Motel Rooms and Duplex and Business Villas). I am assuming that you stayed in our most budget friendly accommodation our Standard Motel Room. Given that we are a 3.5 star property our Standard rooms are clean and basic for the budget conscious traveler. Our Standard rooms are equipped with a Queen and Single bed, fan, A/C, ensuite with Shower and toilet, TV with Austar, Tea and Coffee making facilities and a small fridge, externally there is also a table and chairs to enjoy the tropical weather. In regards to the noisy neighbours we have a 24 reception with a Duty Manager to attend to any issues like this all you need to do is call reception and advise them of the situation and it will be dealt with. Being located in the tropics the insect life is abundant however the resort follows a strict pest control program to ensure the comfort of our guests. In regards to the shower leaking everywhere we do have a maintenance team available if advised of the issue, if it could not be fixed we could also move you to another room. Once again thank you for taking the time to review the property.
Terranora, Australia
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed at Palm City Resort in a Duplex Villa. The accommodation was great, the rooms very clean and a bonus having the deck with your own private BBQ.
Our group was situated near the pool and it was like having our own little resort.
The staff in one word GREAT. Very friendly.
No need for a car as you can walk everywhere.
We will be definitely be going back .
Thankyou for a great stay.!!!

Room Tip: For a good holiday choose a villa
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Janette G
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Room is pretty cozy, I stayed in one of their villas. The TV can be brought down as it is positioned too high for my eyes, I felt my neck was about to break as I have to slant it just to watch.

Internet service can be improved as I have to go to the lobby or restaurant just to get a signal.

Breakfast can be improved. Not much of selections considering its AUD 23 per meal.

Attendants are generally nice (particularly Raja, he was so helpful, accommodating and went out of his way to entertain customers). However, there was one unfriendly female receptionist stationed there during the mornings who didn't attend to my needs well (I didn't get her name: she had really pointed eyebrows that demands authority, making her look unfriendly to guests. She's also very laconic and doesn't entertain guests much: I hope its not because I'm Asian and she only caters to Australians).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

palmsmanager, General Manager at Palms City Resort, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Palms City Resort. The TV positioning in the Villas and Rooms has been designed to view the TV from the bed so I understand that it is not the best angle for viewing if sitting in the chair provided for the desk in the Villas. Our wifi signal is currently not available inside some of the rooms however the signal is strong in the public areas and is also offered complimentary to our guests. The charge for breakfast is actually $20 AUD and whilst the selection is constant, there is the choice to change what you select daily from bacon, sausages, scambled eggs, poached eggs, fried eggs, hash browns, grilled tomatoes, butter fried mushrooms, baked beans/spaghetti in the hot section and 3 x fruit, yoghurt, bread, cereals, 3 x fruit juices, pastries in the cold section. The Tea and Coffee station also offers coffee, 5 x types of Teas and Hot Chocolate. In regards to your comments about the reception staff, I receive a lot of positive feedback (both online reviews and from the guest comment cards in the rooms) regarding all of the reception team members. I do not know based on your physical description and personal believe of what that appearance suggests to guests, who on reception you are referring to. I can assure you that we have an extremely multicultural team at Palms City Resort that mirrors the multicultural nature of Darwin and that none of the team would treat any guest different from the next based on their nationality. To make that suggestion in your review has actually offended the entire Front Office team including Raja who you spoke fondly of. I am not sure what needs you felt were not attended to well by this person? I would be happy to discuss this with you directly if you would like to email me on manager@palmscityresort.com regarding this matter. I am disappointed that Palms City Resort has not met your expectations on this occasion.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I stayed two nights in the hotel section in a superior room. It was fully self contained and extremely spacious, easily accommodating the 4 if us with an extra bed ordered. The tropical gardens surrounding the decent sized pool and throughout the various villas and motel rooms made you feel like you had your own private sanctuary in the heart of the CBD. Everything is within walking distance and there was secured car parking available. This is really affordable, clean accomodation for the family travellers, this was also one of the only places that could accomodate 4 beds too. The staff were all lovely and I would recommend this hotel if staying in the heart of Darwin.

• Stayed March 2014