“Basic but clean”

Luma Luma Holiday Apartments Hotel
Ranked #31 of 35 Hotels in Darwin
Reviewed 16 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I too was a little dubious of this hotel, but upon arrival I was pleasantly surprised. I arrived a day earlier than our tour group of 32 people and inspected every room. Clean, comfortable and the location was perfect. Air con, ceiling fans and Luz even organised a larger fridge for my room as we provided some catering to our clients. The large BBQ area suited our needs and I found the location to be not as noisy as other reviews found. The staff were amazing and couldn't do enough for us. If it's in room self dining you want, spend double the amount somewhere else. If your out and about doing what you should be doing in Darwin then I recommend Luma Luma on price. Thank you Luz and Henry for what was a very enjoyable Darwin Cup Week.

Room Tip: Some rooms have limited views over the Harbour
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank AndyObie
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I booked with Luma Luma because there was very little available at the time and I wanted a studio with a kitchenette, not just a room. I was concerned, having read some scathing reviews but also some positive ones. Darwin prices are very high by any standards worldwide, especially in the dry season. Accommodation is at a premium and even backpacker prices are much higher than in other cities.

The pool was sparkling and clean with a collection of potted tropical plants adding to the ambience (the pool is on the second floor). There are sun lounges for relaxing. I noticed that the whole area had been hosed clean early in the morning.

The room was cool and I only needed the fan even though the temperature went over 30C. The furnishings were in good condition and the TV was a large new Sony flatscreen one. The towels were large, of good quality and replaced during my stay. Toiletries were replenished. The bathroom was spotlessly clean. The bed was comfortable and there were lights on either side. The bed linen was crisp and fresh. The only issue I had was with the pillows which were quite thin, so I needed to use 2. There was plenty of storage and a stand for my suitcase. The kitchenette had crockery and cutlery for at least 3 even though the room only slept 2.

The bakery downstairs is very convenient but is closed on weekends. A Woolworths is just in the next street and there is a snack bar which opens very early and a bakery there too. I found the location very convenient with a short walk to the waterfront or the city centre.

The staff were very helpful and pleasant. There is no security at the lift but as a solo female traveller I did not have any concerns or see "undesirables" hanging about. There was a door chain.

These apartments are not billed as 5 star so the lack of a safe, room phone and hair dryer did not bother me. Anyone travelling to Darwin in the near future can expect to pay premium prices because so many workers are using commercial premises while their housing is still being built. One of my booking website emails showed the cheapest Darwin price was $200, which was more than double any other listed... Berlin, London, Prague, Las Vegas. So you just won't get 'value for money' compared to other places anywhere in Darwin, but as a reasonably priced (by Darwin standards) base for a few days Luma Luma was more than satisfactory.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jenny C
Reviewed 1 August 2013

After reading other comments about this hotel, I was dubious about staying here but I have nothing but praise for the staff and the great effort they are all doing in making this place a comfortable enjoyable place to stay. The young team are friendly and nothing is a problem. The units are an older style but everything is spotlessly clean. The crisp linen, new flat screen tv', quiet new aircon unit and new carpet all make you feel good about staying here. My only negatives were that there is no hairdryer and no phone to make outside calls but I guess most people have mobiles these days anyway! The curtains hopefully will be replaced soon but they do the job!!! Great to see new fridges being installed also. I commend the staff here and wish them well. I look forward to staying here again the future. Well done :-)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank chookkiwi
Reviewed 18 July 2013

It isn't easy finding a reasonably priced hotel in Darwin in peak season near the action so I reluctantly put down $360 for two nights at LumaLuma. I was appalled when I read the other reviews, so it was with great trepidation that I checked in. Now,it wasn't utterly horrendous; the staff were nice and professional, the room was cleanish but more akin to a $20 room in South-east Asia. The asking price is just an utter insult when you spend some time in the room, it's just so very basic. The cooking facilities are like you would find on a picnic - a two burner stove but there is a small microwave oven to heat up that meal you didn't make as it wasn't worth the bother.
I honestly suggest you spend a bit more money and get one of the other hotels in the area. It's quite true about the lack of security- the lift is outside of the check-in area. It's very easy to access the rooms which are only equipped with a basic lock, no deadlock so I suggest not leaving any valuables in the room.
In short, you'll live through the experience but you will probably leave with a nasty taste in your mouth for having spent so much.
An appallingly overpriced crash pad.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank fractalheadache
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I booked through Wotif. com not much of a discount.No security on front door or lifts and reception only open from 7am to 11pm. Stayed in studio apartment - fridge, microwave, 2 hot plates, jug, toaster and iron. Reception staff okay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JA1964
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I booked a 2week stay through Wotif.com at Luma Luma apartments for the end of June (required a short term accommodation waiting for my house to be finished). Reviews and pictures looked promising. I was horrified when I checked in.

The apartment block as a whole is old and dilapidated and as for the room: as soon as I walked in I was hit by an overwhelming smell that I can only described as 2 week old festering BO (body odor), the bed wasn't made, the pillows looked used, the blanket was thrown on the bed and stained, the light in the bathroom didn't work, the light switch was broken and cracked and I cut my hand on it and the room was in a general state of uncleanliness (I was scared of touching anything for fear of contracting something- too bad about that light switch). I have stayed in many different places, from backpackers to luxury hotels, in 1st and 3rd world countries and for what this place was trying to sell itself as (and what it charged) it is the WORST place I have ever stayed (stayed for 30mins).
Needless to say I checked out within 1 hour of check in. Instead of being amenable the management said I was making everything up and only managed to negotiate getting HALF my money back thanks to the support from Wotif.
The reason they get good reviews on Wotif.com you ask? It's because the minute I made a complaint they blocked me from accessing their site so it's impossible for anyone to write an HONEST review.
Don't stay there. Please. I wish I had read the reviews before I booked and lost over a thousand dollars. At least I got out before I contracted something.

Room Tip: Don't stay in any room!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple