“OK hotel but value for money would prefer Medina”
Review of Mantra Pandanas

Mantra Pandanas
Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Darwin
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We paid $250 AUD for a 1 bedder with no breakfast and were upgraded to ocean view on the highest floor that is floor 19. The apartment was nice with everything you would expect, washing machine, dryer, fridge, balcony, etc... Views are off the ocean looking away from the Esplanade direction. Just in terms of value i don't think this place cuts it... considering the room we got he free upgrade too should have costed around $300 AUD! I would have rated Mantra pandanas a little higher except for their high cost and lack of value.

Location was slightly closer to the city than Medina... don't know if that really matters too much considering the city is pretty small anyway. There is a restaurant downstairs although we didn't eat there. Not much else to really say... in my opinion i would just prefer Medina 1 bedder with no view and no breakfast which should be below $170 AUD. That would be a better option. We took a taxi from Mantra to airport the next day, costed $27 AUD.

The hotel is opposite centrelink but we had no issues here. I just mentioned that because another reviewer was making a statement about it which i don't think had any basis.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank studlim
MantraDavid, General Manager at Mantra Pandanas, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2011

Dear Studlim,
Thank you for your comments above.
I am glad to see you were happy with your stay with us at Mantra Pandanas. In relation to the room rates and compared to the other Hotel mentioned, rates change on a daily basis depending on occupancy levels. (Much the same way as plane seats) so I suspect you stayed on a night when demand was high. We do offer very competitive rates on a daily basis, so if you are returning to Darwin in the future please compare our rates before making your decision on where to stay.
Kind Regards,
David Brill

Reviewed 30 October 2011

We booked our stay in Darwin as mystery hotel booking on wotif. I was sceptical at first. But excited when I found out it was the mantra pandanas. We didn't get in till very late and was very tired after a 10 hour drive. The guys in reception were quick and friendly. Our room was gorgeous I didn't want to leave the pool was great everyone looked happy in the pool area. The view was great, this was our first time in Darwin and plan on moving their. We will be recommending this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 21 October 2011

So I arrive at nearly 2am. Check in was a breeze. I asked if I can get a later checkout of 11am and was told sure thing. I also asked for an 9am wake up call and I noticed the receptionist writing it down in a book and double checking my room number.

The following morning there was no wake up call at all which was really annoying because I risked getting a fine for not paying extra for the car which I parked just outside of the hotel. Good thing my phone alarm worked.

What was annoying though it's now 10.25 am and I get a call from the reception asking what time I will be departing. So now I am a little annoyed: i said I didn't get my wake up call and I asked for a later checkout time of 11am. The receptionist (different from the one that checked me in) was very apologetic and asked if I want to extend the check out beyond 11 am and that's no problem at all. But 11am was enough time for me.

The room was ok, neat and clean but the hallway looked like it was being renovated or painted. It's an ok hotel but I think its rating of 4.5 stars is perhaps a little too high. I would have no problem staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Appreci8life
Reviewed 13 October 2011

if you have ever been to darwin before, you would know that it is quite a hot and humid city to be in. so the presence of a refreshed lobby and ice cold airconditioning is quite pleasant if you are thinking of booking the mantra pandanas in darwin.
we stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment; as we thought it was.
the 2 bedroom apartments are 1 bedroom apartments that have been connected with a door in the middle. not what i expected.
the rooms are quite nice and new though.
on a sad note, they do not recognise loyalty and a result would not discount a price for a room even though we stayed there for quite a while. the plane was delayed and they would not look after us at all.
very dissappointing mantra pandanas.

Room Tip: If you after a 2 bedroom apartment, this is not for you..
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DOWN-UNDER-JOE

Dear Downunder Joe,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us in October. I apologize the room configuration was not what you expected, obviously this does not suit everyone, but have other Guests who prefer the extra bathroom which comes with the interconnecting rooms. I am un-aware if you booked in advance or not but do offer discounted rates for longer staying Guests. If you are looking to return to Darwin in the future please do not hesitate to ring direct and we would be more than happy to accommodate your requests.
Kind Regards,
David Brill

Reviewed 7 October 2011

on a biz trip w 1 nite in Darwin. Picked Mantra as it is 3 blocks from CBD. receptionist was a gen Y Euro-backpacker with attitude but she had my booking in order so no prob there. The lifts are a bit slow.trivial I know. I booked online for a king size deluxe bay view. What I got was a wheel chair ready self contained apartment with a great view of the penthouse suites of the neighbouring property. only 10% was actual bay views.No big for 1 night only but it is misleading.FYI a HUUUUGE shower area, big enough for a wheelchair....some strange table arrangement under the shower head. Good hot pressure. quiet aircon. BUT the hallway skirting board was filthy. Why mention this, well its the little things that count right ? Went to the Restu for dinner and it was excellent food but $9 for 4 crocodile pieces is NOT a tapas. noted- welfare office across the road, well patronaged by "locals" if you know what I mean.

1  Thank boombah888
Reviewed 1 October 2011

This is a new hotel located at the quiet end of Darwin City, yet within easy walking distance of the main strip. The rooms are modern. I would suggest that you ask for a room with a kitchen as you will get a lounge and small fully equipped kitchen, which is so convenient.

The ground floor has a good restaurant area that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. The bar is well appointed, with comfortable seating and access to outside open area or inside air conditioned comfort. I have always found the service at this restaurant to be superior to other hotels in Darwin, which has seen me return to Pandanas by preference.

The hotel adjoins a car park, which is handy, but the correct access driveway can be a bit confusing, so ask the reception for directions.

The rooms are comfortable, although the basic rooms are only 32 square meters in size, so if you are staying for more than a few days, try the larger rooms. Toiletries are of good quality and linen is also good quality. Air conditioning is a bit noisy, but is absolutely necessary as Darwin is such a humid location. Each room has a de-humidifier, which does help significantly in removing the wet feel you tend to get in Darwin.

Room Tip: The views are not brilliant from my experience and it is uncomfortable sitting in the humidity. Chec...
Reviewed 21 September 2011

The hotel is "ok" but there are housekeeping issues which are a little annoying - things like the globe in the small desk lamp blew a few days ago so I placed a note on the lamp asking for the globe to be replaced. When I got home from work, the note had disappeared but the globe was not replaced. I then took the globe out and left it on the desk (hint hint). Today I got back from work, and the globe was still sitting there and no new globe in the lamp. So I swapped it for the one in the bedroom as I need to work tonight and need a globe.

Other annoying little things like the tissues in the bathroom ran out, I placed the empty box on top of the vanity unit to let housekeeping know that the tissues needed replacing. I get home from work, the empty box is gone but the tisses have not been replaced. Maybe the housekeeping staff dont like being given hints???

Like other reviewers, I also had issues with water running cold on me (especially when washing my hair) and I also suffered greatly from the noise of the air conditioning units. I liked to sit out on the balcony and always made sure my unit wasnt running when I was out there, but then people moved into the room next door and their unit just made it unbearable to sit out there any more.

However, dont let those issues put you off, all in all it is an "ok" hotel - a typical Mantra Hotel. Location-wise it is ok, not too far from Mitchell Street and Smith St Mall and it is fairly quiet. I will be staying here again and I wouldnt say not to stay here - just be aware of some of the pitfalls is all.

There are studio rooms and I think these seem to be located quite close to the lifts -not sure I would want to be so close to the lifts as it would get extremely annoying hearing them going all the time. I was in a one bedroom apartment and the first room I was in was on the 12th floor and I had no view whatsoever - just the ugly building opposite. The room had a really unpleasant smell and the air conditioning didnt work very well. On top of that the "wardrobe" was a tiny narrow thing and to compound matters there was an ironing board taking up just about all the space. I only had 4 coat hangers so had to get some more sent up (got them the next day). The bathroom was ok but the area around the vanity basin was very small with little or no room to put your bathroom items - and no drawers or cupboards, just these tiny shallow shelves that werent eventhe length of a toothbrush. Goodness knows what you are supposed to store there.

After 4 days of puttingup with that room I decided I had had enough - I was due to be here for a further 3 weeks and would go stir crazy there as I tend to spend most of my time living and working in the room. I asked to be moved to a corner room and was told that the only corner rooms available had "water views" for which I had to pay an extra $20 a night!!!! But I had to move from the smelly room with flaky air conditioning so I decided to bite the bullet and move.

This room definitely much nicer but not sure worth the extra bucks, however, joy oh joy, the wardrobe is twice the size and I have 9 coat hangers!!!!

The beds in both rooms are so-so. I dont particularly like them as I like soft beds but they are not super hard so I guess for some people the beds might be considered ok. The pillows, however, are just dreadful. I asked if they had any decent pillows and was told a flat "No".

The kitchens are not really well equipped - ok if you are just making some bits of toast and having cereal for brekkie and maybe snacks - not sure I would want to cook for a family - and a few basic items are just not there. I had to go out and buy myself a cheese grater as they didnt have one in the room.

I thnk my biggest gripe about this hotel is about the housekeeping. I think for a hotel of this calibre it needs to lift its game.

2  Thank BrisCaz