“Great, Clean and Comfortable” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mantra Pandanas

Mantra Pandanas
Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Darwin
Geelong, Australia
“Great, Clean and Comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights in March on business. The hotel is very well presented, very clean and the staff were all very friendly. Check-in was early in the morning about 4am, very quick and there were no problems.

There is a restaurant off the lobby that serves up a good buffet breakfast and a good dinner, though like most of Darwin, it is expensive.

The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. I had a high floor room with sliding glass doors opening out to a balcony. The room had all the normal fittings including a mini bar, large wardrobe, ironing board, iron, safe, desk, chairs, TV etc. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom is large with a walk around shower, no door, so it ends up a bit wet. Shower and toilet in the same room. The TV has a few pay tv channels too.

A big plus was the power points at the bed side tables. So many hotels dont have them and it's madness. As someone who relies on their phone for their alarm, and needs it charged, not being able to have it next to the bed is a pain.

Its a 5-10 minute walk up to the main street where there are plenty of bars and restaurants, as well as a supermarket. During the week it's still a busy nightlife in the main street and depending on who you are and what night you're out, you may feel a little unsafe getting around by yourself but I had no dramas.

All in all, this was a very comfortable stay with no issues whatsover. I can recommend this hotel happily, you won't be dissapointed.

Room Tip: High floor facing the ocean
2 Thank josh-aus
Dave Pearson I, General Manager at Mantra Pandanas, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear josh-aus,
Thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Mantra Pandanas and thanks for your great feedback and recommendation.
We're delighted that you enjoyed our friendly staff and facilities and we agree with you that our location is perfect for nearby venues.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind regards,
Dave

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed here for 8 days for work in early March and booked two rooms for myself and a colleague.. Overall the hotel presented well and staff were very friendly.
A few things that were on the negative side was that i booked and paid for two rooms using Mantras website and the booking and details of the other room and mine was made under the other guest.
The car park was a nuisance as every time you entered you had to give your room number and name which obviously due to the booking error i was never a guest. To leave the carpark you could just swipe your room card but entering you couldnt.Strange?
The shower in the room had a sunken floor but when having a shower it would not drain properly and overflow to the whole bathroom. Obviously this is a common problem as the carpet outside the bathroom was very wet.
Had breakfast included as part of the deal for an extra $10/day. Very simple spread for breakfast but worth $10 price.
The door to the balcony was very hard to lock and after many attempts gave up locking it.
Overall good hotel and probably would stay here again.

2 Thank Traveller388
Hi Traveller388,
Thank you for your positive feedback and it was great to hear that you enjoyed you stay with us. Apologies for the confusion with the booking details; it appears that a rare glitch in the automated system duplicated your colleagues name. Our reservations manager has identified this and has implemented a procedure to rectify, if by chance this reoccurs. We do hope that you will stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Top End.
Many thanks,
Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

As I was recently relocated to Darwin, my company found my temporary accommodation at the Mantra Pandanas in the heart of the city. Upon arriving at the hotel I was pleasantly surprised with a pristine lobby and very friendly staff who were eager to please. My check in was efficient and friendly and I was supplied with all the information I needed to make my relocation process as smooth as possible. Upon arriving at my room I was surprised with spacious layout , full amenities including laudry and kitchen and excellent view over the bay.

While staying at the Pandanas, Darwin encountered a massive power out. I have to congratulate the staff on the effort they made to make the best of a bad situation. I saw staff guide guests numerous times up and down the fire exits to ensure everyone reached their rooms in the morning safely as there were no lifts. Also the fact the hotel provided breakfast and water for all their guests who had to leave their rooms due to the situation was excellent to see.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Pandanas. The facilities were excellent and they had the service to match. If anyone is visiting the top end of Australia I would definitley recommend this as place to stay.

Room Tip: Studio Apartments are excellent value with all the amenities
1 Thank D_F369
Dave Pearson I, General Manager at Mantra Pandanas, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear D_F369,
Thank you for staying with us during your relocation and we really appreciate you taking the time to comment on your experience. It was pleasing to read that you enjoyed our service and facilities and we agree that the views are excellent! I would also like to thank you for congratulating our staff for safely dealing with the power outage situation and it is most encouraging to know that their efforts were appreciated. Thank you for recommending Mantra Pandanas and we hope to see you again very soon!
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Recently having stayed for an extended period of time I was very pleased with the amenities and professional and accommodating nature of the staff. Staff helped to accommodate all requests and were helpful in all of my dealings with them. The only unfortunate event was the power outage and consequent evacuation. Although inconvenient to be evacuated in the middle of the night, I understand the fact that it was just as inconvenient for the staff, yet they handled it fantastically. I noticed staff going out of their way to help guests in every possible way and providing breakfast and water to those trying to get comfortable in the lobby. All in all I think that the hotel staff made the best of a bad situation.

Other than this, a well appointed room and a fantastic location to explore Darwin. Loved staying here.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anna s
Dear anna s,
Thanks so much for reviewing your recent stay with us and we're delighted that you enjoyed the experience overall. Whilst it was most unfortunate for you to be in Darwin during the power outage, it's great to hear that you thought our staff handled the situation fantastically and I have shared your comments with my team. We do hope to see you again soon on your next visit to the Top End!
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

I took advantage of a sale Mantra were having and was able to get an ocean view (with balcony) studio apartment, including breakfast (and parking which l didn't use) for $169. From the description on the website, however, it appears l was upgraded to a 1 bedroom apartment, as the bedroom was separate from the living area. The open plan living and dining area was huge, with a sofa, chair, small dining table and desk, and a feature l always look for in a hotel room, a stand on which to place your suitcase. There was a tv in both the living area and bedroom. One thing to note is that the living room tv (which included the pay per view movies) only showed the basic free-to-air channels and the Austar channels (mainly sport!). The tv in the bedroom has the full suite of free-to-air channels.

The kitchen area contained more than enough crockery/cutlery (although a couple of things were missing, for example there was only 1 knife and fork - although l later found another knife in the bottom of the dishwasher!). Dishwashing detergent/dishwasher powder/tea towels were included. I just noted this because l've been in apartments where they don't give you a tea towel, instead expect you to use the dishwasher for the small amount of washing up you need to do!

The bathroom was HUGE, the most impressive hotel bathroom l had ever been in, with a washing machine and dryer, (including sachets of laundry detergent) a bath and massive separate walk in shower. Quality toiletries were included. There was also an extraction fan (which is not always present in hotel bathrooms, resulting in a bathroom full of steam after you've had a shower), and 2 large mirrors. What more could you ask for?

The room also contained a dehumidifier, 3 ceiling fans and 2 air conditioners!

If you want Internet access in your room, you have to pay, however you can access the internet for free (you are asked to limit it to 30 mins a day) via the 2 terminals located in the cafe area. I only found this out by accident, it would be great if this could be mentioned in the room handbook.

The buffet breakfast was fine, and on the days l used it, there was plenty of seating available.

All of the staff l dealt with were efficient, friendly and professional.

The pool area was lovely, and there was only ever 1 other person in the pool whilst l was there.

The view from my 16th floor apartment was just breathtaking, you could see the ships in the harbour, and watch the afternoon storms roll in.

Darwin is a fairly small city, so everything was in walking distance, supermarkets, shopping centres, the Post Office and Information Centre. It was about a 15 minute walk to the redeveloped wharf area.

I highly recommend the Mantra Pandanas.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an ocean view room with a balcony, it is worth it!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Carrie C
Dear Carrie C,
Many thanks for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to write such a positive review. We really do appreciate your comments which I have shared with my team. I am also pleased to advise that our digital upgrade has now been fully completed with the new TV's showing all of the free to air channels in the living rooms as well as the bedrooms. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back soon!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel few times and had no complains but after what happened on March 12, 2014, I will never return. Darwin has no power that day and the hotel evacuated us at around 3 am for safety and was not able to go back to our rooms until about 130 pm. For the price paid I think it's not worth staying in a hotel without their own generator. The reason they say is because the hotel is bigger than other hotels in town to have their own generator. What about the guest comfort? Will you leave your paying guest like squatters loitering in your lobby or even in the streets of Darwin? in case situation like that happen again which I assume to be very rare. Should guest get the price they pay for the accommodation? They must plan for things like this because the possibility is there , there must be a plan in place, putting their guest comfort as the priority .I haven't heard any apology from the top management but I salute their staff who was helpful at that time. I think the guests need to get a refund for the accommodation paid that day or deserve to be compensated for the fatigue they cause to their guest who was deprived of sleep and comfort. I will be back in Darwin but booked Hilton Darwin after I confirmed that they have their own generator!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank emersonmd27
Dave Pearson I, General Manager at Mantra Pandanas, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear emersonmd27,
Thank you for commenting on the power outage emergency in Darwin and it was indeed an unprecedented situation. The subsequent evacuation of the hotel was a mandatory safety requirement and we do appreciate that this was a very disruptive experience for you. The emergency lighting ceased after two hours as it is designed to and the evacuation was conducted 30 minutes before this to allow enough time. We do apologise that this incident tainted your stay in Darwin and thank you for your kind comments about our team who did everything possible to ensure the safety and well being of our guests.
Dave Pearson
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

I am really disappointed with the way Mantra handled the blackout situation. At 3am we were forced from our rooms to ground floor where we were sprawled everywhere. Told we were not allowed back into our rooms until the power is taped. Forced to sit and sleep on hard floors.

By 7am they were letting small groups of people return to their room for essentials and by 11am we were free to go back to our rooms, even though the power was still not restored.

My question is at 3am we were told we couldn't go back in. By 7am allowed to very essentials and by 11am. Why could we all have just stayed in our rooms to rest in the cool rather than being held hostage in a oxygen deprived environment?

Worst part is that I have another week here next week that is prepaid :-(

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank NickTrezise
Dave Pearson I, General Manager at Mantra Pandanas, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear NickTrezise,

Thank you for staying with us and for commenting on yesterday's power outage situation which was experienced across the region. We all agree that it was unpleasant and I believe that we acted appropriately and within the guidelines of our emergency procedures.
Please be advised that we fully implemented our power outage emergency procedure which involves a request for evacuation to the ground level before the emergency lighting ceases. If there was a more serious emergency it would then be considered unsafe to evacuate without emergency lighting. During the morning, bottled water and breakfast cakes were provided and any advice from the media was provided as requested.
After reassessing the situation later in the morning, we had enough staff members to allow safe escort to rooms for essential items only. However, in a 28 storey building this is a slow process. Later on when we had enough staff members stationed with torches to cover the exit points on each level we were then able to allow those who wanted, to return to their rooms.

Apart from this emergency situation and associated discomfort, I hope that everything else is to your liking and please do not hesitate to contact me personally if I can make your stay more comfortable.
Dave Pearson