“Unbearably noisy, disappointing and slack.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Limes Hotel Brisbane

Limes Hotel Brisbane
Ranked #82 of 162 Hotels in Brisbane
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Unbearably noisy, disappointing and slack.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

As this was the second time we stayed at the Limes we knew to expect some noise from the hotel bar. As we had booked a courtyard room we were not so concerned. Unfortunately what was not told to us was that it is the noise from the bar next door that echos round the courtyard and room all day and night. Noise from people using the lift going to the bar is very loud as well and uncontrolled. Slamming of doors can also be disturbing. Having double glazed windows and a door that didn't have a big gap at the bottom would have helped. I am writing this as I lay awake in the hotel.

Housekeeping seemed slack, used towels stuffed in the wardrobe on arrival, stray items left in the room. Light not working. Not given/told about Fitness First voucher or whether we were able to use the spa pools on the roof.

There seems to be more concern paid to the bar patrons than the hotel guests. No warning about the noise from Alfred and Constance when we checked in. Not 4 star by any means.

Past it's best and will never stay again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SarahNZ49
LimesHotel142, General Manager at Limes Hotel Brisbane, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Hi SarahNZ49,

I’m sorry to hear you were unhappy with your second stay at Limes. All our guests and especially our return guest are very important to us and I’m disappointed to hear we failed to live up to your expectations. The roof Top Bar is during the Christmas season very busy and noise levels are higher due to it. Whilst we try to contain the level of noise filtering through the hotel we have failed on this occasion.

With regard to the towels in the wardrobe and stray items I have addressed this with Housekeeping department.

The pools are free for Hotel guests to use when there is no function on the roof top and I do apologise if this and the Fitness First Voucher was not explained upon check in. I’m currently reviewing the check in procedures with all staff to prevent this from happening again.
Thank you for your comments. It is through critic that we are able to improve services. I would like to extend an invitation to you to come back to Limes Hotel should you choose to.
Please do not hesitate to contact me. Thanking again.
Kind regards

Magnus Hojden
Limes Hotel
info@limeshotel.com.au

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

Would not return to this hotel.

The noise from the rooftop bar carries through every single room in the hotel. I stayed for three nights and every single night the noise went well beyond when I wanted to sleep as I was working the entire stay. The staff are lovely but ineffective as its very clear me priority is the bar and not hotel guests, they keep "asking" drunk party goers to keep the noise down which of course doesn't occur. Loud music and groups of people singing well into the night (2am my first night and midnight the other nights) with drunk people spilling into the street and yelling well after that.

The rooms are extremely small and kind of depressing, a lot like being inside a shipping container and about the same size.

There is a bizarre smell that comes from the bathroom that is quite unpleasant and overpowering, possibly something wrong with their plumbing or some mildew etc.

After all that, basically everything annoyed me at this hotel. There is no desk to work, the staff have very little idea about the area, and the sheets each night came with a different stain (one so large I have no idea how housekeeping wouldn't have seen it). There is a cafe next door but none of the restaurants in the area like there are with emporium. There is not a gym. You cannot get access to the pool as there is always a private function on. Bathroom is not particularly clean (but not a pig sty either)

If you are going to a function at the bar then perhaps stay here. If you are going to Brisbane for any other reason stay at Emporium.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Maverick2020
Hi Maverick2020,

Thank you for your feedback. I’m sorry to hear your stay did not meet your expectations.
I understand there was noise from the roof top bar during your stay due to Christmas functions at the rooftop bar and would like to apologise for the inconvenience. This should have been brought to your attention upon booking and I’m sorry if this was not explained. The rooftop bar is a lively part of our business especially during our weekend but also part of the success of our Hotel; however I believe we could have done more to reduce the noise during your stay.

I’m glad to hear you found our staff lovely, unfortunately on this occasion they seem to have not been able to reduce the noise and I’m looking into what can be done to handle situations like this better in the future. I do think the staff is knowledgeable of the area around us and we do continuous training on concierge services with staff, so I’m investigating who will need more training on this part.

Finally in regard to the stains on the sheet; we pride ourselves with the high standard of our Housekeeping and we inspect every room before check in however we seem to have failed picking up on this. Although all our sheets are inspected and clean they should be free from stains from Laundry Company at all times.

The room price is inclusive of a Fitness First pass, situated around the corner and I’m sorry if this was not explained upon check in.

Finally in regard to the smell I’m having a plumber looking into the pluming in the room you stayed in. I can assure you that the drains are cleaned on a weekly basis.
I understand you are not interested coming back to Limes Hotel however I would encourage you to give us another chance to prove we are a great hotel in a great location so please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to come back to Limes Hotel.

Kind regards

Magnus Hojden
info@limeshotel.com.au
Townsville, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

This is a 4 star hotel that caters for a young party crowd. I did a mid-week stay (Thursday) as I was going to a Jill Scott gig at the Tivoli. For this, Limes location could not have been better. A 5min stroll had us at the front door, which was preferable to taxis or parking issues. Noise wasn't a problem as we returned from the gig at midnight, by which time the rooftop bar had quietened down.

Bouquets: Friendly staff, good linen, funky decor
Brickbats: Overpriced, tiny room, foyer door difficult to negotiate with luggage, off-site parking, ridiculously big pillows (ended up sleeping on the decorative cushion!)

I wouldn't stay again. Much better value to be had in the Valley at Spicers Balfour and Emporium.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Global2010
LimesHotel, Front Office Manager at Limes Hotel Brisbane, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Global2010,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at the Limes Hotel. Our location is indeed a great advantage when you need to see a gig at the Tivoli. It is with regret that I read that you believed the price for your stay to be too high. Limes Hotel offers many great deals and the sooner you made a booking on our website, the better rate would be. I will also convey your comment about the pillows to the relevant department head to ensure this is addressed.

We do hope you reconsider staying with us in future and please don't hesitate to contact me in person so that I can look after you.

Kind regards,

Henry Herdian
Front Office Manager
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed at Limes Hotel last Friday night 25/10/13. I had a working engagement the following day with an early start so needed a good night's sleep. Upon my arrival the front desk receptionist recommended that I participate in the evening's festivities on the fourth floor (Night Club) as I may otherwise not sleep much. I didn't really pay any attention to this remark as I thought it was a joke. When the evening's festivities began in earnest at 11pm I realised that it was not a joke. I did not get to sleep until 4 am when finally the thumping sound of extremely loud disco music came to an end.

The receptionists were pleasant and helpful and showed me where I could go and get breakfast but I would never return to this hotel on a Friday or Saturday night.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Mette G
Caloundra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights @ the start of September, we expected noise and we got it, as we were out ourselves it didn't really bother us. The room we had was clean comfortable maybe a little small but that did us fine. The only thing we didn't like was going out for breakfast & being questioned about where we were going? They must have lots of ppl staying past check out, just know who!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Although the hotel & the rooms are clean & modern, don't expect a good nights sleep over the weekend! Although we were warned by the hotels booking staff that it can be loud at night, the noise is intense until the rooftop bar closes at 3am. If you're planning on a big night out this hotel lives up to it's boutique status & the rooftop staff make a mean cocktail however if you're looking for a quite night, try the Emporium.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RHI_STU
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

I really wanted to like the Limes. I had been referred to the hotel by friends and, after a few recent disappointing stays at Emporium, decided to give it a go. Externally the hotel looks funky, the glow of the rooftop bar is alluring and the unique facade is quite cool. The young girl on reception was exceptionally welcoming and provided an excellent first impression. Then I got to my room... Located at the rear of the building it was definitely not what I'd consider boutique five star. The room itself was long and thin and the furnishings somewhat dated. There ws a certain smell in the room, stale/slight damp, that whilst bearable was not pleasant. The bathroom and its products, 'Appells', were fairly standard hotel issue. The bed was fine although the pillows were, for me, almost unbearably firm. A nice surprise was a Nespresso machine and a selection of capsules. Overall the Limes is okay, but I'm not convinced it's worthy of the price it asks. For a few more dollars I believe you can find a better boutique accommodation experience in Brisbane.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business