“Disappointing”

Ranked #81 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Brisbane, Australia
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

We booked an apartment for 2 nights as a cheap offer came up on wotif.com. The advertised room had a spa bath. Ours did not. We didn't worry about saying anything to reception as when we had checked in they seemed not to care and were very unhelpful with parking (the guest parking was full so they suggested we park the car in a private car park elsewhere- no specific instructions of how to get to one, offer to compensate for higher rates or even an apology for the inconvenience). It ended up costing over $80 to park the car in a Secure car park for 48hours.

The room was also meant to have a river view. Instead, the view was of the rooftop of the next door building. The apartment was nice though. Nothing special, but clean, spacious and had everything we needed.

Pool area was nice but relatively small. We went in the pool but kids started splashing around so we went into the spa. Then a party of 5 joined 2 minutes later so decided it was time to go.

Great location for access to eagle st pier

Overall- don't expect to get the exact description of the room, be prepared to be told to park elsewhere by unhelpful and uninterested reception staff. But hopefully your room will be nice and clean like ours :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 4078andbeyond
OaksAurora, Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Oaks Aurora. I’m sorry to hear your stay did not live up entirely to your expectations. If I can respond to your comments for future reference in the hope that you’ll stay with us again. With regard to your spa comment, we don’t have spa’s in any of our apartments and such we’ve never advertised them. I’ve checked the wotif.com website just now and I can see no reference whatsoever to spa’s in our apartments. For the parking, we do have plenty of parking available however we always recommend you book this facility. There is very specific reference to this on wotif.com and most if not all other websites we advertise on. When booking on wotif.com or other websites I recommend you make special reference to carparking in the comments field. Alternatively you can call ahead. For the river views or lack thereof, we can guarantee these views if you book a ‘river view’ room. There are a number of options available on wotif.com and other websites. More often than not these attract a slightly higher tariff. By all means you can submit a special request otherwise however we can never guarantee special requests will be met. Otherwise, I’m pleased to hear you found your apartment clean and comfortable and the location of the building convenient. We hope to welcome you back to Oaks Aurora Tower in the not too distant future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

Stayed on the 37th floor. Very well spaced apartment and great to have a washing machine.

Got in late and had not eaten, went down to see the staff about place opened after 9pm in the area and they were not very helpful. This is the only down part of the trip.

Nice room, very quite, gym was good. Pity it is not linked to a rewards program.

Overall, would stay again.

Room Tip: Bring some extra washing powder...only get one satchel. Air con was hard to work.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
OaksAurora, Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Oaks Aurora. I'm pleased to hear you found your accommodation comfortable and the facilities convenient. I'm sorry to hear the staff weren't more helpful with dining options in the area. I will pass your comments on and ensure this is repeated. Thanks again for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back to Oaks Aurora in the not too distant future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

This place is amazing. Clean and neat .We had the 54 floor 3 bedroom apartment it was massive up stairs down stairs with amazing view I highly recommend to stay here was amazing and great location will be back :) staff were good but could have been more happier

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
OaksAurora, Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Oaks Aurora Tower. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and likewise the apartment you were accommodated in. Your feedback has been circulated to all staff. Thank you once again. We look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks Aurora in the not too distant future.
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

I booked very last minute, taking advantage of a special deal, so didnt check reviews beforehand. And just as well I didnt as I might have missed out on a great 4 night stay. OK, I didnt have a car so cant comment on parking woes but found staff very helpful and my (upgraded) 2 bedroomed apartment was well appointed, immaculately clean and serviced daily. Being up on the 27th floor it had a great view across the river. OK there was traffic noise if you have the windows open but this is a city! Easy to walk everywhere and good access to trains and ferries. I always stay in 4 or 5 star places and found this up to standard, as did my sister visiting from UK. Dont be put off by negative reviews. Perhaps I was just lucky but I believe they have upped their game.

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor and river view
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
OaksAurora, Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Oaks Aurora. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and found your accommodation comfortable. Likewise, I'm glad you enjoyed the view from your apartment and location of the building. Thank you again for your feedback. This is most appreciated.
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed 5 nights at the Aurora.
The 2 bedroom apartment was very large. Especially the master bedroom, great closet and big bathroom. Large sitting area and balcony.

The location is fantastic- walking distance to the supermarkets, restaurants, retail shops and the river.
The lap pool is great for daily exercise.
I had good, quick service from the front desk staff.

Let downs- Not very clean. I wore my thongs (flip flops) in the shower. Black mouldy carpet around the edge of the master bedroom.
When I arrived late at night the blinds were broken with no attempt by house keeping to fix- had to call front desk to fix- very inconvenient after a late arrival and work the next day!
Dish washer was broken and not clean.
Missing items from the kitchen- no kettle- should have been checked by housekeeping!
I was on the 9th floor and didn't get a great nights sleep as I could hear the traffic and roadworks nearby.
Towels were horribly thin.

Next time I'm in Brisbane I may give another property a go before returning to the Aurora.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MazzAdventure13
OaksAurora, Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Oaks Aurora. I'm pleased to hear to enjoyed the location of the hotel and that you made good use of the facilities whilst staying with us. I'm sorry to hear that the trafiic and neighbouring construction was noisy. Likewise I'm sorry to hear there were some shortcomings by way of kitchen inventory. I will ensure that our executive housekeeper addresses this promptly. Thank you again for your feedback. This is most appreciated.
Robina, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

Its a strata titled serviced apartment building so you expect the decor and common areas to be inconsistent. However they really let themselves down on things like car parking, cleanliness service, no wifi, check out and no servicing in a 7 night stay. You get slugged $25/night for car parking even though the apartment you rent has a car park attached to it. Then finding a park is a lottery which took us almost half an hour. They don't assign you one its just a free for all.the shower had never seen exit mould. The air conditioning was also a lottery. Look at the reviews. These issues come up time and again and management do nothing to remedy it. Nothing in the room info sheet about how to control the a/c. Room had a reasonable view and the position is good. But not getting one service in 7 nights was poor. No new towels etc or a tidy up. If u need a serviced apartment go to the mantra on queen down the road. I was supposed to get a good deal through the resort club. I suspect the resort club is also a terrible deal. Poor service and the deals you get are no better than what you can negotiate yourself.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Superprofits
OaksAurora, Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Oaks Aurora. We value your feedback goes without saying. I'll quickly respond to a few of the points you've raised if you don't mind? With respect to the carparking, this function does incur a fee much same most CBD hotels. This information is clearly outlined in all of our advertised material be that online or otherwise. Our carparks are located over a total 8 levels. Granted it can take a couple of minutes to locate an available space. Please rest assured however there plenty of carparks available and all are within close proximity to lifts. With respect to servicing of the apartments, we do offer a daily service function however I suspect you opted to take advantage of a lower tariff which in turn results a lesser cleaning frequency. For the record, additional cleaning is available should you contact our friendly reception staff. Likewise, we have available fresh linen should you require. Finally, i apologise you experienced difficulties with the airconditioning whilst you stayed with us. The controls ordinarily are set to appropriate comfort levels and our staff are available for assistance with adjusting these if guests are unable to operate the controls. Thank you once again for your feedback. This is most appreciated.

Travellers are raving about these Brisbane hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Advert photos are Photoshopped. Place has no parking - you'll have to park in expensive Wilson parking & drag your bags there. Upon asking where the 'parking' was that they advertised, they suggested using the visitor parking bays and moving the car every 4 hours. No doubt they would like to pocket the $550 towing fee for cars that aren't moved. Automatic doors don't work - took forever to just get into the reception area. And they don't answer the phone either if you call them - it just goes to hold. Reception staff are rude & a painful - they wouldn't let my wife check in so I could drop the bags off and go to the Wilson parking - they insisted I come in and check in. And then they wanted an extra $150 "security deposit" even though the room had already been paid in full. I've never had to do this in any other accommodation that I can remember. The whole place is pokey and tight spaces to get in and out of like lifts etc. Save your money and book real accommodation like the Sheraton or Marriot etc. instead of this no name scam artist.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank gnsxg
OaksAurora, Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Oaks Aurora Tower. I'm dissapointed to read that your stay was less than satisfactory and that you experienced some difficulties. I would like to respond to your comments if you don't mind. Firstly, photos used in our advertising material be they online or in print are not photoshopped. Rather they are a fair indication of how our apartments and the building as a whole present today. Bear in mind that the building takes in several aspects and views and likewise floorplans differ room to room. On parking, we have plenty secure parking in the building albeit weekends bring high demand. As our websites and all other advertising material suggest, we recommend you book carparking at time of making a reservation save dissapointment. Please rest assured we don't pocket money from towing cars. The tow companies collect these funds and have no profit share arrangement with the building. On the $150 security deposit, we can appreciate that your accommodation was paid in full and we thank you for making these arrangements. The $150 is merely a deposit we hold for the duration of your stay for in the unlikely event that you incur incidentals or cause damage be it intentional or otherwise. Furthermore, the deposit is not a charge as such. Rather it is suspended funds on your credit card which are released upon your departure. This practise is very common in serviced apartment complexes and likewise many major hotels. Once again, I apologise your stay wasn't entirely satisfactory. We value your feedback goes without saying. Thank you.